List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on over Weller. :cool:

@SENNews: Young expects Freo might trade our players to get more picks in that would satisfy the Bennell trade

yep new that would happen, trade away the future for the now

On an interesting note, we're all so very keen to trade blokes in and out, but how's this for a commentary on modern football...

On our current list of 42 - Carlisle and Freeman included on the assumption it all works out - we have no less than 13 players who began their careers with other clubs (30.95%);

Hickey
Savage
Lee
Roberton
Longer
Delaney
Ray
Dempster
Bruce
Membrey
Weller
Carlisle
Freeman

This year's trading frenzy seems to suggest this is going to become the norm too. Are we becoming 'Americanised'? Is the one-club player a dying breed?

Interesting times.
more a result of some really terrible drafting by the Saints over a number of years which now had to be fixed by Pelican, Bains and Trout.

Agree it is a long process, but I want to make comment about second round draft picks (greater than pick 20). IMHO they are a hit and miss: 10% chance Jet 10% Great Servant 40% GOF 40% Wash Out. (Yes I know about S Fisher pk 55 et al there will always be exceptions to the rule) Look at our last few second rounders,

2010 Pk 24 J Cripps GOF
2010 Pk 43 S Crocker Delisted
2011 Pk 25 Seb Ross GOF
2011 Pk 35 Markworth Delisted,
2011 Pk 37 Newnes Great Servant,
2011 Pk 42 Webster GOF
2012 Pk 24 White delisted,
2012 Pk 25 Wright battling,
2012 Pk 40 Murdoch battling
2012 Pk 43 Saunders Battling,
2013 Pk 18 Dunstan GOF (probably heading to Great Servant)
2013 Pk 19 Acres Undecided

2014 Pk 3 J Billings (Jet)

Now I am not having a go at anyone here and love all players as they truly give their dandest and we sit on the sidelines with no conception of what they endure. But when looking at trading picks and players we can all view objectively. Out of the 12 listed above 3 gone (25%) 4 (33%) GOF 3 Battling (25%) with 1 Great Servant and 1 undecided.

We have 1 jet SO WHY THE HELL DO WE CONSIDER TRADING PICK 5 for F**k sake! So we can swap into a second round and get a 1 in 3 chance we will have a GOF, we have enough of those already.

So let some other AFL team in a rebuild take the same risks we have just done. We should trade 2nd rounders this year and next for the players we want and keep top 10 picks as they are gold.

With lets say Mathieson coming in Ross gets pushed down the pecking order as Billings will push more into the midfield. Therefore Hickey or Ross (Prefer Ross) and Pk 25 for Carlisle. The other (Hickey) with next years pk 25 say for Bulldogs pick 11 and/or Horvat (no opinion on him). If not he stays

We have to also watch culture and playing group harmony. We can explain these two trades with Ross more opportunity (see above) Hickey back up ruckman more opportunity at WBD. It is a win/win for all concerned, players will understand that and harmony is maintained.

Carlisle Pick 5 & 11 is a great return.

Freeman is in reality closer to D Markworth in terms of value on a risk reward basis. Injury prone fast midfielder played how many AFL games in two years .....zip! How many games overall 4 out of a possible 48. Pretty strong similarities. Bring him to the club by all means but we have better other uses for our second rounders.

If he came in as a rookie we would all say fair enough give him a go, not costing much, we tried it with S White and burnt pk 25 and it did not work. He is a 3rd 4th rnd pick at best. But he may become a jet and I hope he does just to stick it up the Filth.

I would have thought Longer was about right value. Look what we paid for Hickey. That wasn't unders and he wanted to come to us.

Hickey wanted to come to Melbourne, I'm not sure he ever actually specifically asked to come our way. That's an example of how valuable rucks are when there is high demand and a small pool. Hickey straight swap or with a third round upgrade would be about the same value as Carlisle to me. He has a few big issues in the possible ban and hid knee tendinitis.

I actually rate Matthews as a bit of a fool.

he stuck his nose in the Freeman decision by saying Collingwood shouldn't trade and put him in the PSD.

These type of attitude will eventually spell doom for the draft system.

Matthews think they own these players. For a start they are FORCED to go to a club to ply their profession.

They HAVE to sign a two year contract to begin their profession usually for a club in a state that is not their home. They have to do this as an 18.y.o. kid.

Now once the contract is finished fools like Matthews think they can bully kids and make them go somewhere else to apply their profession.

Matthews demands that kids are contracted for four years in some sort of indentured labour slavery contract.

It wont be long before there will be a restraint of trade challenge in the court to these contracts.

As the NRL found it, it is against the law to restrain trade and that is exactly what the draft and the trading period does. RFA and FA was brought in to placate the players. Fools like Matthews doesn't seem to understand that the draft is hanging by a gossamer thread and if it is challenged and fails, clubs like Brisbane, GWS GC will fail within three years.

I support the Saints but being unrealistic that doesn't get you a player. I actually have hosted 16 saints players over the years. Is that enough support? I could say lets swap Carlisle for a second rounder but that isn't going to happen so I try to tell people what I realistically think will happen. I don't see how that suggests I could follow another club.

Usually you both offer something that benefits you then meet in the middle. You negotiation skills are more akin to a guy who offers the Thai street vendor an extra $500 on top of the $50 he's asking because a real Rolex would be $1000.

How about:
Pick 5 + Hickey + 2016 3rd round for Trelor + GWS 2015 3rd round
2015 2nd round + Ross for Carlisle
2015 3rd round + 2016 2nd round for Freeman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This idiot on trade radio omg

I am loving the calls. Most, mainly the Collingwood ones are hilarious. Whinge and whine about Aish and have unfair Brisbane are then in the same breath call Freeman disloyal.

lol - really they cant see how ludicrous their position is

Just on trade radio a caller suggested that we trade our pick to Collingwood, and we get their first pick 17 plus Freeman, then we give 17 to Carlisle, and somewhere in all that, he said Collingwood get Treloar and Tomlison.

I might have to stop listening, if these crap and delusional trade ideas keep being brought up.

Positive Sliding doors by Barrett! View attachment 182015

Ha! I just screenshotted this, about to post it here!! With the comment that he posted something positive about us... But still managed to drop in a bit of negativity (kind of). He's right though, and I'm sure the club is aiming for finals. Thanks, Purple. I was expecting some bulls*** comment about pick 5.

I like Saad but after the yr he just had , If he's a steaknife he aint a very good one
View attachment 182016

Saady's form at Sandy was actually pretty good. For a full time small forward he had some fantastic games & certainly showed he was very good at VFL level... he would have got games at a lot of AFL sides but with Lonie, Sinclair, etc being preferred & our lack of LTI's, he was stuck in the VFL.

I reckon Richmond should have a long hard look at him as a cheap option... he'd be a massive upgrade on Steven Morris as a FT small forward.

The few times he played as small forward for us this year he did well. Just didn't get many matches as a small forward

I still think he's underrated. He's never had great supply, and I don't think he's a worse player than he was in 2012 when he averaged around 2 goals a game. You can look at his stats, but he also does a lot of work directing the ball along the ground, which doesn't show up as a stat.

I am so meh about Rice. Sounds like he thinks he is something special and wont tell either club whom he prefers.

Its not like he is a No.1 pick or anything.

Neither club should pick him and let see how valuable he really is in the ND.
Or its possible that hes waiting to see which club wants him most. Maybe either party doesnt really know where he gets nominated? Although if this draft is so shallow. Then youd think a 3rd round nom is probably where it happens and if we dont want him for our 4th then he goes to bidding club. I think.

Saady's form at Sandy was actually pretty good. For a full time small forward he had some fantastic games & certainly showed he was very good at VFL level... he would have got games at a lot of AFL sides but with Lonie, Sinclair, etc being preferred & our lack of LTI's, he was stuck in the VFL.

I reckon Richmond should have a long hard look at him as a cheap option... he'd be a massive upgrade on Steven Morris as a FT small forward.
yeah I agree that he was squeezed out by the new ' mosquito fleet'.
Just never looks good on your CV if you cant get a game in a bottom side.
Good luck to him if somebody else wants to trade for him. Seems like a nice bloke.
Bit one dimensional for AFL I think.
But a bloody good VFL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back