Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe this would induce more teams to tank? But…

Draw a line in the sand and have a draft lottery for first rounders.

So if you finish bottom 5 or even 3 they have a lottery for those teams.
The NBA system just makes anyone with a chance to get a pick in the lottery to tank. The Mavericks lost themselves out of the play in tournament to get a ticket in the draft lottery. It's shifted it from the worst teams to those around mid table.

The NBA system just makes anyone with a chance to get a pick in the lottery to tank. The Mavericks lost themselves out of the play in tournament to get a ticket in the draft lottery. It's shifted it from the worst teams to those around mid table.

Yeah that’s what I had in the back of my mind

Not sure when Hawks verse Eagles, but that should make for one interesting game for probably the wrong reasons.
It's in Tassie in two weeks.

Don't count North out yet either. They play West Coast in WA late in the season, but play Hawks two weeks before at Marvel.

Hawks could beat WC in Tassie. WC could beat North in WA. Might really come down to Hawks v North at marvel in round 17.

Don't count North out yet either. They play West Coast in WA late in the season, but play Hawks two weeks before at Marvel.

Hawks could beat WC in Tassie. WC could beat North in WA. Might really come down to Hawks v North at marvel in round 17.
The Harley Reid challenge lol

I hope WC don't get him. He'll be back in Victoria at Collingwood or Carlton in two years.

I hope WC don't get him. He'll be back in Victoria at Collingwood or Carlton in two years.
Already been an article where he's quoted as saying he has no problem moving to Perth. However, I wouldn't be surprised in WC tried to split their first pick to get both Moir and Curtin.

Not a fan at all of the lottery system where the bottom few teams going into a draw with the lowest based team/s getting more balls in the pot... it brings up the possibility of there being huge unfairness. Eg A hypothetical end of season ladder for 2023 >

16th- Kangaroos 24 points.
17th- Hawks 20 points.
18th- Magpies 0 points.

The balls gets drawn out and the Kangaroos get pick 1 and Hawks pick 2... Poor Magpies.

I like the Nathan Barley suggestion of it being based on a 3 season rolling ladder, still leaves the possibility of tanking late in the current season though if that rolling ladder is close at the bottom.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan at all of the lottery system where the bottom few teams going into a draw with the lowest based team/s getting more balls in the pot... it brings up the possibility of there being huge unfairness. Eg A hypothetical end of season ladder for 2023 >

17th- Hawks 20 points.
18th- Magpies 0 points.

The balls gets drawn out and the Kangaroos get pick 1 and Hawks pick 2... Poor Magpies.

I like the Nathan Barley suggestion of it being based on a 3 season rolling ladder, still leaves the possibility of tanking late in the current season though if that rolling ladder is close at the bottom.
True but while some of the Hawks fans are probably delighted with the concept of a single season down to pump games into the newbies and pick up a hopefully generational talent (if a generational talent comes along every draft perhaps they need to tweek the definition!) they may not be as keen on the idea of a 3 or 5 year doldrums ... and the damage to the internal club culture would also be significant.

If you are bad enough for long enough that the rot is starting you probably need the help - unfortunately if you are that bad what are the chances of those low picks hanging around for the rebuild that is only just starting and whose shoulders are going to be wrecked from the strain of carrying the team on field and the hopes and aspirations of the fan base off field.

17th- Hawks 20 points.
18th- Magpies 0 points.

Using the Magpies is a bad example if you want sympathy for your argument.

I don't think the difference between the number 1 vs say number 5 pick is enough that teams should be induced to tank. Yes, the NBA has a lottery but there are only 5 on the court at any time so a single player can genuinely transform a team. In the NFL players are older and more ready to have an immediate impact, and there is a single position that is worth way more than every other position so top picks are more valuable.

Obviously teams have tanked, but to me provided we don't have early priority picks and reform FA compo so a team can't end up with pick 1 and 2 I think the current system is ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back