Taylor Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Without showing to much disrespect to the Broken Hill football league, I will wait until he plays a few games in the SANFL before getting too excited about his talent.

I know he was selected in the under 18 All Australian side at the national carnival but so have many other players that turned out to be duds in the AFL.

Quite scary, he's been in their best in every single occasion playing at CHF against grown men in a good league. This guys only just turned 17.
If he's in the best 2 or 3 for the club and only kicking 3 or 4 goals in the game you know he's taking a ton of marks or setting a lot of shit up.:thumbsu:
Made the U/18 All-Australian team with the likes of Palmer, Kruezer etc, lol I can't believe we're getting him for free. Can't wait to see what he does at the champs, his value will sky rocket I'd imagine.;)
This is a good point.

In his AA profile written by Kevin Sheehan it says he gave off the most goals in the whole championship...or something to that effect.

Still manages to kick his 6's a game.

I am loathe to read too much into his form in the Broken Hill league.

Yes, he's playing as a boy amongst men, but what is the quality of play like in that league? I strongly suspect that it's a case of big fish in a small pond.

We won't really get a decent idea of how good he is until we see him playing against players of a higher standard - as he did when playing for the NSW/ACT Rams at the National Champs.

The fact that he made the AA team is encouraging, but history is littered with players who made AA at U18 level but couldn't make the transition. Still, based on what we know he has to be worth at least our last draft pick in what is perceived to be a weak draft this year.

I am loathe to read too much into his form in the Broken Hill league.

Yes, he's playing as a boy amongst men, but what is the quality of play like in that league? I strongly suspect that it's a case of big fish in a small pond.

We won't really get a decent idea of how good he is until we see him playing against players of a higher standard - as he did when playing for the NSW/ACT Rams at the National Champs.

The fact that he made the AA team is encouraging, but history is littered with players who made AA at U18 level but couldn't make the transition. Still, based on what we know he has to be worth at least our last draft pick in what is perceived to be a weak draft this year.

This is the key point. In a weak draft, AA players are worth just a bit more than they would have been last year. Therefore, if we pick him up with pick 70-90, it's a deadset bargain.

AA and a five goal game is a fair effort in under 18 comp.

Anyone still have a link for his AA profile? I'd love to have a read.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8419181

Taylor Walker – NSW/ACT
17 years old, 188cm, 81kg, Nth Broken Hill
A medium-sized forward with strong hands, Walker was smart on the lead and accurate in front of goal. He kicked seven goals for the championships and had seven score assists, ranking him equal first in the championships. He is tied to Adelaide under the AFL Scholarship Scheme in NSW.

That whole article is an interesting one.

Many thanks. :thumbsu:
This guy could be one that we could get around our pick:

Cyril Rioli – Northern Territory
17 years old, 178cm, 74kg, St Marys
A small forward/midfielder with a damaging left foot around goal, he kicked seven goals against Queensland in the final division-two match at Victoria Park. He was ranked sixth overall for effective kicks – 34 – and was first for goal assists, with seven over the championships. Extremely quick and strong with his tackling, his defensive pressure inside 50 is also an attribute.
He was obviously equal with Taylor for goal assists.

An aboriginal goal sneak/midfielder...something we need, but obviously the fact he is unselfish could mean he is more than a one dimensional player.

If we had 2 first round picks, I'd take him with the 2nd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the key point. In a weak draft, AA players are worth just a bit more than they would have been last year. Therefore, if we pick him up with pick 70-90, it's a deadset bargain.

that assumes a correlation between AA selection and readyness/suitability for senior footy that does NOT exist.

AA selection means best u/18 players. however that is not nearly the same as senior prospects.

that assumes a correlation between AA selection and readyness/suitability for senior footy that does NOT exist.

AA selection means best u/18 players. however that is not nearly the same as senior prospects.

I saw him play a game last year in the u/18's, Crow-mo, when he was only 16. Very clever, very fast, and looks a top prospect IMO

"Burgo's top 10
1:42 PM Tue 10 July, 2007 | Back

By Matt Burgan,

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

The 2007 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships are being played from June 23 to July 11.

Throughout the event, afl.com.au will highlight the 10 players that stood out after each block of matches.

These assessments are made purely on their performance in the carnival – regardless of their drafting prospects and eligibility in 2007. This block has been assessed after matches were played in Geelong and Carlton

5 – Cyril Rioli – Northern Territory

Born: 14 June 1989, Height: 178cm, Weight: 74kg, Club: St Marys

The nephew of the great Maurice Rioli and Michael Long, Cyril Rioli is the Northern Territory's finest talent in this year's draft pool and looms as a high pick. Despite just recently returning from a collarbone injury, 'Junior' shone in midfield against Tasmania. "

He's been a great goal-kicker as a junior, and would be ideal as that crumber up forward with a run on the ball that we desperately need.

If he hadn't done his collar-bone in earlier in the year he would have had an even higher rating in the draft than he probably will.

I saw him play a game last year in the u/18's, Crow-mo, when he was only 16. Very clever, very fast, and looks a top prospect IMO

that might be true. in fact, I'd probably take your say so right there and then. but what I was saying is that suitability for AFL footy and being a junior standout at the carnival don't have much in common.

Rioli will be a good/bad/indifferent pick based on his attributes, he doesn't become more valuable just because he was AA.

that was my point. targeting AA's as a strategy in a poor year, is... unadvisable :)

Did he kick seven goals last week as well? Is the league crap in broken hill or is he awesome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back