macca69

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Have compiled a mock draft which may be somewhat similar to TOA’s which isn’t all that surprising as we have talked a bit to each other about the upcoming draft. Just want to add, that I apologise in advance for using predominantly West Coast players for player comparisons, but obviously they’re the players I have seen more of. Will add more picks to it once the final draft order is known.

Round One:

1. Carlton – Bryce Gibbs
I don’t think there’s ever been a more hyped player pre-draft, and for the most part, the hype is justified. Poise, class, footy smarts and exceptional skill by foot who can get his own ball, but opts not to on most occasions as to utilize he exquisite foot skills. He is able to find space, not though speed, but through his footy smarts, however there may be a query at AFL level whether to become an elite midfielder genuine pace is needed, and he doesn’t possess genuine pace. Most likely of the draftees to play 200+ games, but I’m not sure he has as much potential to improve as others in the draft. Should go pick #1.

2. Essendon – Lachlan Hansen
Very versatile tall, who can play forward or back or even have stints in the middle as he is pretty quick and mobile for his size and is one of the best marks to come through the draft in recent years. Also has courage in spades and though able to play the role of a rebounding defender can play a tight negating role also. Could go anywhere between 2-5, but Dodoro is real keen on him apparently and is exactly what Essendon are looking for. Selwood, Gumbleton and Leuenberger all a genuine chance to go at #4.

3. Kangas – Scott Gumbleton
Genuine key forward who will straighten the kangaroos up. Has excellent hands, phenomenal work-rate and is just a natural forward. Can play CHF or FF and is an excellent contested mark. However with the game being played at an ever increasing speed, a slowish key forward that relies on contested marking will become increasingly less effective as the game evolves. I imagine he’ll still become a very good player, but his lack of speed will prevent him from becoming a superstar of the competition. Sellar and Leuenberger a chance here too.

4. Brisbane – Mitchell Thorp
Rumours are this bloke could be the slider this year, but I just can’t see it to be honest. He has had OP and I don’t think he participated in some of the DC tests, but his upside is huge, he could be anything. Probably hasn’t played his best footy due to OP, but he has all the attributes to become a superstar. Good size, excellent mark, versatile, amazing skills, mobile and quick for his size as well as a very good ability to read the play. Brisbane’s pick is probably the toughest of the top 10, Leuenberger real chance to go here.

5. Port – Leroy Jetta
Incredible talent, but another one who suffered from OP. Probably has the best combination of pace, evasiveness and mobility of anyone to come through the draft in the last 5 years or so. There are question marks over his ability to play midfield, but I see very little to suggest he can’t play there full-time. Maybe a lack of accountability and defensive pressure could be argued, but if he works on that aspect of his game, he’ll become an elite midfielder. Despite his size he can get his own ball, however because he looks flashy his hardball gets tend to go a little unnoticed. I’d be careful about picking him this early though as he strikes me as someone who may well end up homesick. I’d say Port would be tossing up between Sellar and Jetta if the draft pans out this way.

6. Hawthorn – Matthew Leuenberger
Hawks will be licking their lips if Leuenberger drops this far. Very promising Ruck prospect that will be exactly what Hawthorn will be after. Very mobile and quick for his size, also has very good skills for someone of 200+cms. His ruckwork is very good, especially considering he’s a recent basketball convert. Absolute steal at #6, given he wasn’t far off going at #1. Given the way Cox has revolutionized the ruck position, clubs will be on the lookout for a Cox protégé, and Hawthorn may well acquire one in Leuenberger, although he’ll have a ********load of development before he reaches Cox’s standard, he’s got all the right attributes.

7. Geelong – Travis Boak
Classy outside midfielder with pace, excellent skills who loves a goal. Fits Geelong’s needs to a tee. Had a shocking run with injuries (stress fractures in his back I believe), but will be a first round selection regardless. Despite his injury trouble he has shown on occasions this year that he has genuine match winning ability. If Geelong opt not to pick him up, Collingwood or St Kilda would be more than happy to.

8: Collingwood - James Sellar
Been saying all year he won’t slide, but I may have been underestimating the impact of his sub-par champs. No doubt he’s an absolute steal at #8, and would have been genuinely considered at #3 and #5. He isn’t an undersized ruckman like many seem to think; he’s an ideal size for holding down a KPP spot. He has played a lot at CHF, but I think he’d make a fine CHB should Collingwood choose to develop him in that role. Prior to his illness he was rated as the number 1 pick, and it’s easy to see why. Excellent speed and mobility for his height, queries such as fitness and intensity have been raised since his illness, but they were strengths of his prior to his illness. Talent-wise he’s as good as Hansen and Gumbleton and if not for his illness would have been taken above them in the draft IMO.

9: St. Kilda – Joel Selwood
Outstanding leader and as well credentialed a junior as there is, however I’m not 100% sold on him. His vertical leap result at DC suggest he is over his knee injury which is a positive, however his 20m time suggests he’s lost pace due to his knee injury, which is a worry, given he wasn’t initially quick. Despite being not quick and having average disposal, he isn’t a pure inside midfielder. However, he is a natural leader and a very smart player and has an amazing work-rate. This allows him to rack up the pill. Personally with the direction the game is going, I wouldn’t use an early pick on a player who doesn’t possess very good skills and/or genuine pace, although I can see why clubs would make an exception in Selwood’s case as despite not being a pure inside midfielder he has the ability to bring others into the game.

10: Collingwood - David Armitage
If Collingwood pick Sellar at #8, they will definitely pick a midfielder at #10, probably an inside mid, given Egan, Thomas and Pendlebury have been drafted in recent times. Armitage is one of the better inside mids going around. He’s hard at the footy, very courageous, with a very good work-rate. Being genuinely considered at #4 demonstrates what a quality player he is. Tested very well at DC, which will ensure he is a top 10 pick. Is a midfielder atm, but is versatile and could easily play as a small defender or even as a small forward. If they go a midfielder at #8, then Riewoldt, McKenzie, N. Brown and Reid would all be options as well as O’Keefe, Edwards and Connors.

11: Western Bulldogs - Eric McKenzie
The Bulldogs are one of the few teams that strictly adhere to the ‘best available’ policy so many teams claim to adhere to and as such may go small here. However, with the combination of having traded their second round pick, and the quality of tall available at #11 could easily see them go tall. Nothing wrong with their forward line given they were one of, if not, the highest scoring teams in 2006, but their defense was the worst of any of the top 8 teams IIRC and is what prevented them from being a genuine premiership contender last year IMO. Key forwards tended to kick bags against the Doggies and a genuine CHB would be ideal to complement the Dogs’ undersized defense. McKenzie could round one next year if need be. Has excellent skills which you do not normally associate with key defenders, his mobility and pace are good also as well as his excellent endurance and reads the play well, so he is rarely beaten on the lead, and is also excellent in one-on-one situations. My only concern over McKenzie as a defender is that he doesn’t run off his opponent as much as I would like someone of his attributes to. He has excellent skills, good pace, great endurance and reads the play well, these attributes should culminate in him running off and setting up play off HB, which he rarely does as I feel he is too conscious of his man, even when his team have the ball. Still if he can be taught how to do this, he’ll be an AA CHB IMO.

12: Melbourne - Ben Reid
In recent times Melbourne have tended to go either with inside midfielders or bottom-age KPP with their early picks, and I feel with what’s on offer in the draft this year, and the current state of their list, they will go with the latter. He is very bottom age and is rather skinny, but has shown he has the right physique and dedication to put on weight (was skinny as a rake at the start of the season, but has put on 8-10 kilos during the year). And in putting on this extra weight has appeared to have not lost any speed or agility that is very promising. Probably isn’t a natural KPP, even with his added weight, he seems to me to be more of a quick agile flanker with very good hands, similar to Brent Staker.

13: Richmond - Daniel O’Keefe
Richmond is another team hard to predict what they will do. O’Keefe has been linked there and he’s the type of player they’d be very keen on. Good pace, excellent endurance, good height for a midfielder and very good skills. Would have tested very well at DC I imagine, but injury prevented that. He’s also quite versatile in that he can play forward, back or midfield. Richmond could however go with a number of players at #13, Riewoldt, Hislop, Benjamin, Djerkurra, Edwards and Morton would all be considered I imagine.

14. Adelaide – Jack Riewoldt
Perhaps a debatable choice this high, but has been linked as a possible pick #8, so despite my misgivings about him, it appears recruiters rate him. He does read the play well, is versatile and is a very good mark, but he seems to come in and out of games, which I feel may be due to a lack of endurance, or it could be that he is a confidence player. His biggest worry is his lack of speed, and he may get found out at AFL level in this regard. He is a very good kick of the footy and doesn’t hesitate in backing back into packs. Some say he may not become a genuine KPP, and I’m not sure if he will or won’t, but Adelaide aren’t opposed to taking ‘3rd tall’ flanker types. Guys like Allen, Tippett, Reid, N. Brown, Renouf and Garland could be considered here.

15. Sydney – Nathan Krakouer
Initially I thought Sydney would have to take a tall, especially given they traded their 2nd round pick for Spider, but there are strong rumours they are set on Krakouer. Sydney does have an abundance of inside midfielders, so they may well be looking for a classy outside midfielder with genuine pace, good skills, who likes to carry the footy. Clinton Benjamin has been linked here too along with Tippett, Austin and N. Brown.

16. West Coast – Nathan Brown
West Coast’s delistings/trading of talls like McDougall, Gaspar, Gardiner and Smith means they will be going tall predominantly in the draft. Not necessarily with #16, but if N. Brown is available they may well take him. Nathan is a versatile tall who could play anywhere down the spine, but has the perfect combination of attributes to become a very good FB. Has the size, speed and hates being beaten. Brown could easily go well before this pick, but often key defenders tend to slide a bit.

Priority Selections:

17. Carlton – Broc O’Brien
Physical rebounding small defender. Has excellent hands and is very good in the air and rarely gets beaten 1 on 1. Is pretty quick also, and reads the play very well. Also rarely makes a wrong decision, which is crucial when playing as a defender. Given his attributes a club could easily decide to play him as a midfielder, as he definitely has the capacity to do so (although not sure about his aerobic fitness). It’s imperative that Carlton acquire at least one possibly two inside midfielders as they have a lot of quality outside midfielders, but no one to really get the ball to them.

18. Essendon – Bachar Houli
On talent alone, would no doubt be a top 10 selection. Has had a shocking run with injuries, but his talent is too great to see him slide far into the 2nd round. Physically mature midfielder, who can play inside and outside. Has amazing foot skills, and is capable of getting forward and kicking goals and also a great mark for his size. However can at times look lazy and disinterested. Tested very well at DC, although I think his stress fractures in his back may have caused him to loose mobility and pace (not that he’s slow or anything, just that it’s not as great as prior to his injury, although it could be attributed to the time spent in the gym as a result of his injury, rather than the injury itself). If he stays fit, he is a bargain at #18.

Round Two:

19. Carlton – Brent Renouf
Having added two mids already, I feel Carlton will go for a ruckman at this pick on the basis that, chances are, Renouf won’t be available at #35. Has excellent endurance and a great leap. Has shown he can play CHB as well as ruck. Can play the role of an attacking ruckman (IE pushing forward, taking a mark, and kicking goals), or that of a defensive ruckman (IE pushing back into the hole and clogging up the space for the forwards to lead into). People have questioned his foot skills, but I reckon they’re more than serviceable for a ruckman. Is one of those players that could go anywhere in the draft. Could see Collingwood or St Kilda picking him up 8-10ish given his recent hype.

20. Essendon – Nathan Djerrkura
Is one of my favourite players in the draft. Excellent work rate, does all the 1%ers, but is also extremely quick and fit and has exquisite skills. Only question mark over him is his height, other than that he ticks all the boxes. Blokes that can genuinely play as an inside or outside midfielder are invaluable IMO and he has that ability. Reminds me of Daniel Kerr a bit. Is also versatile, could play as a small forward, or as a negating defender should he be asked to. Could be a real chance to go as early as #10, if he makes it to #20 I can’t see Sheedy overlook him twice.

21. Kangaroos – Jarryd Allen
Very top-aged versatile tall who is very inconsistent. However, when he is on he looks a million dollars. Very much a confidence player, who is an excellent contested mark, reads the play well, is a good set shot and brings teammates into the game. However at times he can look soft, slow and disinterested. If he overcomes his inconsistency he’s an absolute steal at #27. Kangaroos may go for a midfielder with pace given Harvey and Grant are getting on a bit, and having picked up Gumbleton at #3, but I think they may find Allen too good to pass up here. Could potentially go as high as #12 as Melbourne are keen on him apparently.

22. Brisbane – Albert Proud
Brisbane will get a local ‘running player’ they are after. Another player who has the underrated ability to play as both an inside and outside midfielder. Loves the tough stuff, and has pace and skill. If Proud is available at this pick I cannot see Brisbane really considering anyone else. Many have him as a top 10 selection, which is where I expect he would go if he hadn’t struggled with injuries and turned up to DC in poor condition.

23. Port – Craig Bird
Possibly a speculative pick, but I feel this guy is all class, and I’m predicting there will be a few clubs that will agree. Won the medal for the best u/16 player and despite not being at his best at the championships still racked up some pretty impressive stats. More than twice the clearances of any player, 2nd most tackles and 3rd in hardball gets IIRC. Looks to be a natural leader also may not be the most talkative player, but leads by example. Has a very professional approach, and he is bottom age. Was exceptional in the Allies game. He is the best clearance player in the draft, and has very good skills and can go forward and kick goals. Has a bit of Lenny Hayes about him. Port in dire need of inside midfielders after the recent loss of Francou, Carr and James. Could go first round or not at all, hard to predict really.

24. Hawthorn – Jarryd Morton
Hawks very keen on Morton apparently. Is a flanker/wingman in the mold of Embley. He may grow to be true KPP size, but even with a couple of cms he’ll still be a flanker IMO. He is touted as the “middle Morton” (less talented than his brothers) but he’s as hard a worker as you will come across in junior footy. He’s quick with good skills and can take a mark, definitely the type of player the Hawks have liked to draft in recent times. Could go earlier than #24, potentially as high as #13.

25. Geelong – Shane Edwards
Edwards is a quick outside wingman with good skills, great aerobic capacity and work ethic (works just as hard defensively as offensively). Excelled at DC, which may result in him being considered at as high as #10. Another quick mid with good foot skills will round off a perfect draft for the Cattas.
26. Richmond – Tom Hislop
Richmond is very taken with Hislop from all reports, which surprises me given Terry said that Richmond have an abundance of inside midfielders (although didn’t mention anything about their perceived quality). Doesn’t possess a lot of class or poise, gets by through footy nous, strength and a high work rate. Can go forward, take a grab and kick goals, and reminds me a bit of a young Mark Riccuito. Perceived lack of upside in big-bodied midfielders will result in him slipping a little, although he does have good leadership qualities so he shouldn’t slip too far.

27. St Kilda – Daniel Connors
Saints are reportedly keen on Connors, which is fair enough as he is a classy player. Is an exciting player with pace and loves to carry the footy and take blokes on. Has amazing skills too and can play virtually anywhere on the ground. Has no apparent weaknesses and is all class, although there have been whispers about queries over his attitude, whether they’re true or not I don’t know, but there are constant rumours that he’s one that could slide and this may be why. Could go top #10 or slip into the 3rd round, another player I’m not sure where he’ll go exactly.

28. Collingwood – Kurt Tippett
19-year-old key forward/ruck. New to the game so the upside is there. Has excellent hands, fantastic leap and is a great kick of the footy, especially for someone as new to the game as he is. If he can be taught to read the game better he will become a very good player. Could go as high as #10.

29: West Coast - Clayton Collard
Already mentioned by name (along with Jetta and Krakouer) by our recruiting manager as players were interested in, potential homesickness could see clubs overlook this talented kid, who West Coast would be ecstatic to pickup. Is a quick, skillful, goal-kicking midfielder, who as West Coast have shown are a very valuable commodity. Houli and N. Brown have been linked to the Eagles as well.

30: Melbourne - Tom Collier
Has been strongly linked to the Hawks, but I feel they will go with Morton ahead of him at #24 and Melbourne will pick him up before he reaches #33. Is a bottom age tall utility type, had a good hand-span result at DC suggesting he may still grow to full KPP size, but is another who doesn’t play like a genuine KPP. Not sure how he’ll develop. He could become a Joel Bowden-esque backman, or an Andrew Embley type wing/HF type. Shouldn’t get past #30, and has the potential to go a fair bit earlier.

31. Fremantle – Clinton Benjamin
Freo have said they are looking for quick taller mids who like to carry the footy, and Clinton fits this description to a tee. Runs a 100m in 10.8s and is a pretty good size at 188cm. He is definitely a project player, but has enormous upside if he reaches his potential. When he gets going he’s impossible to run down, but I don’t feel he has the confidence yet to back himself, take blokes on and run the lines. Kicking tends to have too much hang-time, and if he doesn’t rectify this, he’ll get found out at AFL level. Also an extremely outside player, I can’t recall him winning a contested ball, but with the way the game is going these days, getting the hardball isn’t a prerequisite to become an AFL player these days. Very much a hit or miss pick, only time will tell if he’s a steal at #31 or a complete waste.

32. Adelaide - Colin Garland
Could well be the bolter this year. Adelaide reportedly very keen on him and are considering him for their first round pick (like I think Sydney and West Coast are too). Is a bottom age versatile tall, who has all the tools to become a very good player at AFL level, but injuries have prevented him from really turning it on. Is a quick, mobile, athletic KPP with good skills and has a touch of class about him and rarely wastes the footy. Good DC results could see him bolt up the rankings. Adelaide will strongly consider Schmidt, M. Brown, Petterd, Houlihan and Everitt at this pick should Garland not last this long.

33: Hawthorn - Jackson Sheringham
Hawks are very keen on Jackson from all reports. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him really slide, as players tend to do when overlooked the previous year. Is the sort of player Hawthorn should be looking at though, given what they have already drafted and the current state of their list. Sheringham has real pace, excellent foot skills and likes to run the lines. Needs to improve on his decision-making however, and his height (or lack thereof) may deter some clubs, but definitely has the ability to make it at AFL level.

34: Brisbane – James Hawksley
Would probably be the most versatile player in the draft. Can play tall or small and at either end, but will probably end up as a rebounding HBF type at AFL level (but could be groomed to play just about anywhere). Has very good agility and speed, and is also a smart player who rarely seems to make a mistake. Is very much the modern type of player. His combination of height and athleticism could see a club take him very early. Brisbane could well go a ruckman here in Hampson or Jacobs, but they would be confident in having at least one of those available at #38. Local boys like Urquart and Petterd would probably be considered here also.

Round Three:

35. Carlton - Chris Schmidt
Tall midfielder utility type, who can play HBF or wing. Smart player, who’s good overhead, has a bit of pace and just seems to have a lot of time when he gets the ball, is one that reminds me of Sam Butler in a way. Is a good get at #35, but to me doesn’t have a whole lot of upside, due to a lack of a standout quality. Will probably become a serviceable to good player at AFL level, but is a very safe option to do so. If Carlton go for Renouf at #19, then expect a midfielder here, likewise if they go with 2 mids at #17 and #19, expect a ruckman here (probably Jacobs or Hampson).

36. Essendon – Mark Austin
IIRC was touted as a top 10 pick at the start of the year, and I think without the injuries that he’s suffered this year he’d be in contention for a top 10 pick. Is an excellent reader of the play, often better than his opposing CHF, is also a very good spoil of the ball and is bottom age so there is a potential big upside. He’d be in contention for Adelaide’s first pick, and Sydney are strongly considering him for their first pick also apparently.

37. Kangaroos - Lindsay Thomas
Highly rated at the start of the year, but hasn’t produced what was expected of him given his obvious natural talent. Is very clean with the footy, has excellent pace and skill and at the very worst would be a very good small forward. Not sure if he has the ability to play a genuine midfield role at AFL level and his height is an issue too. He does have a touch of class, and a team who needs some genuine pace through the midfield would be silly not to look at him, especially as a 3rd round pick.

38. Brisbane - Shaun Hampson
Having lost a couple of ruckman and Hampson being a local boy, this seems to be a logical pick. Recent soccer convert means the upside is there (I guess we’ll never know if he could have been the next Crouchie). Hasn’t quite got the footy smarts as of yet, but has amazing speed and mobility for someone of his height, whether he maintains his speed and mobility after a summer or two in the gym will be something that may deter clubs. Also tested very well at the DC in the beep and 3km tests. Could be a real player, but will take time, so Brisbane may need to be patient. However if they are it could really pay dividends.

39. Port – Mitchell Brown
Very much an old-fashioned type KPP; big-bodied, with a lack of mobility who loves the physical side to the game. Demands the footy when played up forward and while not all that classy, will create many chances for his crumbing forwards. Is versatile enough to play anywhere down the spine and tbh I’m not sure which position suits him more, as I think he’d make a pretty good FF or FB. Hard to say where he’ll end up, but Port have shown they’re not afraid the take big-bodied players in the draft (some clubs go out of their way not to pick these types of players). Does tend to be the type of player that can slide right through to the rookie draft, although I think he’s shown enough to prevent that from happening.

40. Hawthorn – Joshua Kennedy F/S

41. Geelong – Tom Hawkins F/S

42: Essendon - Ricky Petterd
People may think he’s slipped too far given his performance at the champs, but this is the region where I feel he’ll end up. Is a good size and has pace and skills are pretty good and is good overhead, however kicks have no ‘hurt factor’ and doesn’t strike me as a pure midfielder, seems much more at home across HB or HF. Struggles when the game is at a higher tempo, but had a lot of time across HB at the champs which made him look better than I feel he is. Will make a good versatile flanker who can play at either end, but I feel he hasn’t got the upside that most players taken before him have.

43: West Coast - Sam Jacobs
Old fashioned ruck type, similar to a young Greg Stafford IMO. Good tap ruckman who can move forward and take a grab. Is by no means a Dean Cox, but has decent speed and agility for someone who is 100+kg. Not a whole lot to work with really, but will be able to play next year if required and given that West Coast have only 2 ruckmen on their list atm, he may well have to. Maybe someone like Nugent could appeal here, but West Coast will be pretty confident he will make it to the rookie draft.

44: Collingwood - Joe Anderson
Collingwood are very interested in Anderson apparently. Is a very much the modern day HBF’er. Can shut down an opponent and runs off him at the right time to set up play off HB. Isn’t the quickest player, but works hard and reads the play well, could see him becoming a back-line general in the way Clement does for Collingwood, although needs to work on his foot-skills a little.

45: Western Bulldogs - Andrejs Everitt
I have the Bulldogs taking 2 KPP in their first 2 picks, not because they’re KPP, but because I think they’ll find them to be the best available. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Everitt bolt into the first round this year, and in hindsight probably should be higher in my phantom draft, but such is the depth of the draft, quality players will no doubt be available well into the 3rd and 4th rounds. Is already KPP size, but has grown a lot this year, and hand-span results, as well as the height of his brother could mean he has more growing left in him, given he’s bottom age. I’m still not sure he’ll be a genuine KPP. He plays his best footy across HB as he’s a good spoiler who has very good footskills, although I’m not sure where he will play at AFL level. Has the height to play on the power forwards, but is a LONG way off in the strength department. I see him possibly becoming a Danny Jacobs, Joel Bowden type defender, but he has to put on weight and has to get better in contested one-on-one situations.

46. Melbourne – Gavin Urquart
OP seems to have stagnated his development somewhat, but his performances last year will ensure he won’t slide. Best position is half-back and can play taller than his height suggests. Is a good long kick, but is also exceptional by hand and has very good vision. May lack a yard of pace though, possibly due to his OP though. Will make a good replacement for N. Brown who appears on his last legs, although was one of Melbourne’s best in their finals loss to Freo.

47: Essendon - Caleb Mourish
Would love to see footage of this fella as he is rumoured to be one of the most talented players in this draft. Apparently is of KPP height with very good agility, and speed comparable to Buddy Franklin. State Screening results would suggest otherwise. Though he, unlike 95% of his associates didn’t have the opportunity of training for the state screening/draft camp tests, so some leniency when observing the results is required. Still disappointing results regardless. Have heard from numerous sources that irrespective of his DC results is the real deal, and given Essendon have numerous top 50 picks, can afford to take the risk. Will also most likely be an Essendon player due to the Paddy Ryder connection, and of course the Sheedy factor. Despite his friendship with Paddy Ryder he is still a potential sufferer from the dreaded homesickness. Definitely worth a punt with a pick in the 40’s given his apparent talent.

48: Adelaide - Tim Houlihan
There is no way Neill Craig will let his recruiting staff overlook Houlihan 3 times, no matter what he has said about needing KPP. He looks a natural footballer, which isn’t something that common with potential draftees that are elite athletes also. He knows where to run and has good skills as well as his pace and endurance. Nice height for a midfielder also. Would be great to see him line-up on a wing alongside Burton as he would suit Adelaide’s game-plan to a tee. Another who has fallen too far, but as I’ve said previously, someone has to fall.

49: Sydney - Gary Moss
Will be one of the better players to come out of the draft IMO, just an out and out footballer, and Sydney have not shown any reluctance to pick footballers over athletes in the past. Moss’ height, lack of speed and so-so kicking will deter most clubs. However Sydney will be more than willing to overlook this as he is one who is perfect for their game-plan. Fantastic leader, always gives 100%, continues to find the footy, is courageous, very good aerobically and is the type of player that will run through a brick wall for his team-mates and will do his utmost to get the best out of himself. Sydney may be tempted to go KPP, especially if they pick up Kraks at #15, but I feel that Roos will fall in love with Moss, and Sydney aren’t afraid of loading up on midfielders.

50: West Coast – Paul Stewart
19-year-old tall midfielder that reminds me of Tim Notting. West Coast are rumoured to have kept an eye on him for a number of years, and only this year has he clicked (not sure if it’s due to injury or family commitments), but really showed a lot of promise in the second half of the year. Dominated SANFL ressies for a number of weeks late in the season, to earn a callup to the eventual SANFL premiers Woodville West Torrens. Very agile for his size and is a very good mark. Like Notting can pinch-hit as a tall at either end but arguably plays his best footy on the wing. Lot of upside in this fella, but West Coast may prefer to wait until the rookie draft to snare him.

Pretty good Macca.

From a Collingwood perspective, I'd be happy with those selections. Not sure about Anderson though, as we have plently of half back flankers. I'd rather another mid.

Good effort pal

Cannot see pies going with sellars at 8 though - best mid available. Armitage will be thereabouts though.

Other observations

Cannot see Krakouer going that early

Nor can I see Proud, M.Brown going that late

But hey - I love it bc its different.

greta effort, got benjamin, connors etc going late, and boak at 7, very interesting. great read from a great poster :thumbsu: keep up the good work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macca69. Selwood at 9? Not quick, not an Inside midfielder. Does not sound like what the Saints need with their first pick. I would have thought either a KPP or a fast inside midfielder.

Another good effort :thumbsu:

47: Essendon - Caleb Mourish , the fascination people have linking him with us is getting old hat. Just because he is mates with Ryder and Sheedy has seen him play doesnt make him a shoe in for us to draft him or anyone else for that matter.To be honest i think he will be lucky to find his way onto a rookie list this year.Given the depth of this draft i think he will be over looked.

I highly doubt he'll get past Freo's first pick. So no, I wouldn't think there's much of a chance he'd be there for pick #49.

Impossible to tip who freo will take.

Like the past few drafts..They have had lateish picks...They go in ranking all the players from top to last available in the draft.
Cross of who is gone..Then take best avaible.
I doubt they will be looking for a specific type, right now we look pretty strong across the park.

It will be a case of best available.

They may be more inclinded to look at long term prospects due to our starting side not changing at all next year barring injuries.

Another good effort :thumbsu:

47: Essendon - Caleb Mourish , the fascination people have linking him with us is getting old hat. Just because he is mates with Ryder and Sheedy has seen him play doesnt make him a shoe in for us to draft him or anyone else for that matter.To be honest i think he will be lucky to find his way onto a rookie list this year.Given the depth of this draft i think he will be over looked.

Having your coach fly across the country just to see a kid play country footy, would to me suggest a certain level of interest.

@ borderbarry, I would have thought that St Kilda would be happy with any type of midfielder, and simply go with the best available midfielder at #9. I think that they'll deem Selwood as the best available, although like I said in my post I probably wouldn't.

Impossible to tip who freo will take.

Like the past few drafts..They have had lateish picks...They go in ranking all the players from top to last available in the draft.
Cross of who is gone..Then take best avaible.
I doubt they will be looking for a specific type, right now we look pretty strong across the park.

It will be a case of best available.

They may be more inclinded to look at long term prospects due to our starting side not changing at all next year barring injuries.

There is little difference in predicting Fremantle's pick #31 and Adelaide's pick #32, and I can't understand how you could argue otherwise.

All clubs follow a somewhat similar procedure to what you have described, so I'm not sure why you brought that up.

I disagree about the specific type, they will be looking for taller, quicker midfielders.

There is little difference in predicting Fremantle's pick #31 and Adelaide's pick #32, and I can't understand how you could argue otherwise.

Agreed.

I disagree about the specific type, they will be looking for taller, quicker midfielders.

I disgree here.
With out list pretty much set for the next 2-3 years.

I think if anything it will the project player, either Midfielders or KPP.

Agreed.

I disgree here.
With out list pretty much set for the next 2-3 years.

I think if anything it will the project player, either Midfielders or KPP.

I'm struggling to think of Freo's genuine midfielders that are under 21 years of age. There is also a distinct lack of pace in the block of midfielders aged 21-24ish, which is definately a weakness and Chris Connonlly may have stated as such when asked about the draft IIRC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back