Preview Official Round 7 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time we met:
Round 21 2011
Richmond 14.15.99 def Sydney 7.14.56

Goals: Nahas 3 Martin 2.3 Riewoldt 2.1 Morton Miller Vickery King Deledio Houli Cotchin 1 each

Leading Disposals: Houli 32 Deledio 30 Cotchin 29 Tuck 28 Grigg 25 Rance 24

We're coming of an ugly win against Port, while the Swans are coming off their first loss for the season against the Crows. Swans have been hard hit by injury this week with Goodes out for 6 weeks. We should be feeling quietly confident that we can get over the Swans given out last 3 games have seen us win 2 and narrowly lose the other.

Worried about their mids, lots of grunt in there, they'll work Cotch over also, we need a lot from Lids, Dusty, Jackson, Tucky and Axel. Will Mummy be back? If not Ivan will have a day out!

No doubt they are really good in close,really hard and tough.
I reckon we can really open them up for pace though and I'm a lot more confident about this game than even port.

Looking forward to another test for our development. This is a game to see how our contested ball and clearance work has improved against some of the best. Cotch, Martin and a couple of others had quietish games against Port (by their standards) and will be keen for a chance to get amongst it again.

Goodes out is good news for us in terms of taking a genuine match-winner out of their side but in a perfect world, would have liked to have beaten them with Goodes playing, as we have twice in the last couple of years.

If we do get over the line in this game, it's season back on and we can head into Dreamtime with some real momentum (providing us with another challenge). If we lose, then we have to win Ess and put up a good showing against the Dorks or you'd suspect morale will start to fall a bit.

I'm excited about this one, think it'll be a heart stopper....

This should be a 50/50 game considering their captain is out and their best ruckman is also out, but Seaby is also quite good.
It seems as if Sam Reid is a bit out of form which is good considering he's a very very good mark... unless he's playing us.
Expecting Deledio to have a hard tag and get shut out of the game since Longmire must've seen what Deledio can do when he's free. This should give Cotchin another couple of Brownlow votes because he won't be tagged as much.
This team prides itself on contested footy and tackling so if we want to win this game we need to have good composure and stick to our game plan.
Key players to shut down would be Hannebery, Kennedy and Jetta.
I also see that the Swans play a similar style of footy to West Coast - staging for frees

Big game and there are a few Swans we need to keep quiet.

Lewis Jetta is the main one. He has been devastating and his pace is a huge worry in a side that has little pace. None to match him. So who who do we go with? I think someone that can hurt him the other way, so Bachar Houli for mine. Man him up and then spread to provide and make him accountable.

Josh Kennedy is in Brownlow form. Such a hard match up as he goes and gets his own footy. Think Tuck is the logical match up if we go head to head, but then we risk him dominating the clearances. With Jude Bolton, Luke Parker and Kieran Jack there also, the contested ball area is going to be tough to win. We need to keep one or two of them quiet.

Up forward, Sam Reid is very talented but out of form. I will back Rance and Grimes against most tall forwards and Sydney dont have me scared in this regard.

They have some good runners off half back, so our defensive forwards will need to be on top of their games. Maybe tag a Shaw or Malceski to keep this in check.

The game will be won or lost in the middle as always, particularly this game inthe contested footy. If we can match them in that, we may have too much for them without Goodes or Mumford.

Noted that the bookies have us $1.65 favourites in this match (TAB)

I'm confident, but not that confident!:eek:

Tigers heading in favorites! I have a good feeling about this game, The last 2 years we have had the upper hand on the Swans, And even when Goodes was playing Jackson has kept him out of the game on both occasions.

Noted that the bookies have us $1.65 favourites in this match (TAB)

I'm confident, but not that confident!:eek:

think thats a bit over the top. while we've been good and are comming off a win. swans have easily been better and should surely be favourites.

but sydney have a horrible record at the mcg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge game for us.
We have disposed of the two teams we should have disposed of.
We have gone close to knocking off Geelong and West Coast.
Now it's time to beat a credentialled side. I still think the Swans have been overrated by the media and are not a top 4 side and won't be a top 4 side by the end of the year, but there is no doubt they do a lot of things right especially in the areas that we must improve upon in order for us to be considered a good side in the near future.

Huge game for us.
We have disposed of the two teams we should have disposed of.
We have gone close to knocking off Geelong and West Coast.
Now it's time to beat a credentialled side. I still think the Swans have been overrated by the media and are not a top 4 side and won't be a top 4 side by the end of the year, but there is no doubt they do a lot of things right especially in the areas that we must improve upon in order for us to be considered a good side in the near future.

Saved me taking the time to type something similar :thumbsu:

Goodes out his a huge blow for us. We beat North without him and Mumford (who will also miss once again) so we can do it without them but it was at the SCG and not against a team we seem to struggle with for some reason.

Really hopeful that Horse has a big think about bringing in TDL for Goodes. I'm not and have never been a huge Andrejs Everitt fan so I wouldn't be averse to chopping him for Jesse White in order to have more tall help for Sam Reid who will have the spotlight even more firmly shining on him.

For some reason Craig Bird, our best run with player at this stage, was played across HF without really getting the job on one of the Crows' most dangerous players like Dangerfield, Sloane or Thompson. I would really hope he will get the job on Cotchin or Deledio this week, the 2 players that set up Richmond for victory most in my mind. Bird has played as a defensive forward before on the likes of Rob Murphy so he can do the job on Deledio from HB. I'd prefer Bird to be closer to the middle as he is one of our better clearance/contested players with great hands.

I'd probably go Bird - Cotchin, Shaw - Martin and send Ben McGlynn to Brett Deledio as a defensive forward. Hannebery to run head to head with Nathan Foley who is rated very highly by the Swans coaching staff.

In your forward line, Teddy Richards will get Jack I'm almost certain. That will leave Grundy to take Vickery (if he isn't dropped) and Alex Johnson to take Brad Miller. Nick Smith to take Robin Nahas and probably Marty Mattner to Jake King.

Where is Chris Newman playing? I read somewhere he was playing further up the ground this year. Is that true?

Goodes out his a huge blow for us. We beat North without him and Mumford (who will also miss once again) so we can do it without them but it was at the SCG and not against a team we seem to struggle with for some reason.

Really hopeful that Horse has a big think about bringing in TDL for Goodes. I'm not and have never been a huge Andrejs Everitt fan so I wouldn't be averse to chopping him for Jesse White in order to have more tall help for Sam Reid who will have the spotlight even more firmly shining on him.

For some reason Craig Bird, our best run with player at this stage, was played across HF without really getting the job on one of the Crows' most dangerous players like Dangerfield, Sloane or Thompson. I would really hope he will get the job on Cotchin or Deledio this week, the 2 players that set up Richmond for victory most in my mind. Bird has played as a defensive forward before on the likes of Rob Murphy so he can do the job on Deledio from HB. I'd prefer Bird to be closer to the middle as he is one of our better clearance/contested players with great hands.

I'd probably go Bird - Cotchin, Shaw - Martin and send Ben McGlynn to Brett Deledio as a defensive forward. Hannebery to run head to head with Nathan Foley who is rated very highly by the Swans coaching staff.

In your forward line, Teddy Richards will get Jack I'm almost certain. That will leave Grundy to take Vickery (if he isn't dropped) and Alex Johnson to take Brad Miller. Nick Smith to take Robin Nahas and probably Marty Mattner to Jake King.

Where is Chris Newman playing? I read somewhere he was playing further up the ground this year. Is that true?
Well written post, more than welcome to return and offer your thoughts throughout the week.

newmans is still down back but deledio has moved to the wing and fwd.

Right.

Well who do you guys preict will go to Jetta? He's been sensational for us this year over our first 6 games. It's been quite remarkable to see how he has turned his form around since the end of last year when he was dropped for the finals. In our best 3 players for the year so far. Tackling hard, prepared to throw his body around and seems to have far more fitness, confidence and poise with his kicking to go with his ludicrous speed. Would it be Newman to take him maybe? Morris? Ellis?

Do you guys tend to employ a defensive forward? Would Nick Malceski possibly get sat on?

Jude and ROK will both play up forward more than middle with Goodes not playing.

I would think Morris to Jetta. If Jackson returns I think he will watch Kennedy. With Goodes out I think we should at least keep a close eye on ROK.

Personally our non functioning forward line worries me a lot in this one. Richards has been in beast mode for Swans, watched first hand behind the goals down here against the Hawks and loved the way he took charge of the back 6.

Josh Kennedy is in Brownlow form. Such a hard match up as he goes and gets his own footy. Think Tuck is the logical match up if we go head to head, but then we risk him dominating the clearances. With Jude Bolton, Luke Parker and Kieran Jack there also, the contested ball area is going to be tough to win. We need to keep one or two of them quiet.

Its a no brainer, Jackson will get the job on Kennedy and follow up the next week on Stanton.

Nah still HBF but with the press he spends time up on the wing, the opposition have been putting a lot of time into him and Houli as they know they're our play makers, however Ellis, Morris and Grimes have just recently become more attacking defenders.

It pains me to say but I'd consider White to run with Jetta, can also see Morris as he's got the pace and intimidation/psycho attack on the man/footy that could really curb Jetta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back