Traded #13: Orazio Fantasia - Off to Carlton as a delisted free agent, scored a 2 year deal?

Would you take Razzle Dazzle back at the Hangar?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot of emotion in these assessments. "He played for us and left us, **** him don't want him back".

Objectively he's a super talented player and a cut well above any small fwd we have playing currently on our list. Can't argue with issues about his durability, but if we're honest with ourselves that's actually the only objective issue with him at all.

FWIW I would be happy if we offered him a 1 year deal (or even better, a rookie spot as a DFA) on basic coin. If he can't get his body right then fair enough, let him go. Hope the club doesn't get caught up in tribalistic emotions like the fans do and just makes a rational decision.
We have a ton of blokes who can play small forward: Davey x 2, Munkara, Tex, Tippa, Menzie, Snelling and Guelfi. So he absolutely does not fill a need.

Looking at his history over the last 5 years you'd say absolute best case scenario would be about 15 games and 2 goals a game. Not worth it.

I have no animosity towards him for leaving but I just don't see the point in picking him up.

You really think he is coming as a rookie ?
We also have 3 or 4 NGA players who are going along okay who are in line for rookie spots.
No thanks. We do not need over the hill players.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I’d take him over Lord on the senior list too.

As I said in my initial post, it’d only be a 1 year/minimum $ deal.

We have a ton of blokes who can play small forward: Davey x 2, Munkara, Tex, Tippa, Menzie, Snelling and Guelfi. So he absolutely does not fill a need.

Looking at his history over the last 5 years you'd say absolute best case scenario would be about 15 games and 2 goals a game. Not worth it.

I have no animosity towards him for leaving but I just don't see the point in picking him up.

Strange take for me - I’d absolutely take 15 games at 2 goals a game.

Of the players you listed, the first 5 don’t play AFL, Menzie (who I think’s been great) was sub the last two weeks (he may fall victim to Scott’s preference not to play the younger guys), Snelling’s averaged .5 goals in 9 games and Guelfi’s averaged 1.5 in 6 games.

So currently non of our options are anywhere near 15 games and 2 goals.

Okay, who are the 2 people who voted 'yes'?

Threaten Stephen King GIF by Arrow Video
Me

Hell F no. I’d rather Tippa.. at least he can run around for our vfl team
Lot of emotion in these assessments. "He played for us and left us, **** him don't want him back".

Objectively he's a super talented player and a cut well above any small fwd we have playing currently on our list. Can't argue with issues about his durability, but if we're honest with ourselves that's actually the only objective issue with him at all.

FWIW I would be happy if we offered him a 1 year deal (or even better, a rookie spot as a DFA) on basic coin. If he can't get his body right then fair enough, let him go. Hope the club doesn't get caught up in tribalistic emotions like the fans do and just makes a rational decision.
on his out put over the past 2 seasons he is not a cut about Menzie and even what Guelfi offers. He Cooked with a capital C. We already have a cooked Tippa on the list who at least contributes on field in the VFL and by all reports is a great off field leader. Never heard that of Raz. There would be other options if they want a mature age forward pocket come years end

Strange take for me - I’d absolutely take 15 games at 2 goals a game.

Of the players you listed, the first 5 don’t play AFL, Menzie (who I think’s been great) was sub the last two weeks (he may fall victim to Scott’s preference not to play the younger guys), Snelling’s averaged .5 goals in 9 games and Guelfi’s averaged 1.5 in 6 games.

So currently non of our options are anywhere near 15 games and 2 goals.
We are a rebuilding side and have a plethora of smalls from whom we've seen some good development this season. Among them we have an experienced guy to mentor them along the way. We aren't challenging for a flag.
Serious question: how does bringing in an injury prone older player advance the list?

well, one was DERO so fair chance it was a mistake
I figured maybe was short for : maybe his body is absolutely cooked and he won’t get a game at Port and reaching out to Essendon is a bit of a Hail Mary as he is still good mates with Zach Merrett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are a rebuilding side and have a plethora of smalls from whom we've seen some good development this season. Among them we have an experienced guy to mentor them along the way. We aren't challenging for a flag.
Serious question: how does bringing in an injury prone older player advance the list?

Who is in this 'plethora' that's developed though? Menzie is really the only one for me.

To answer your question, it may not (advance the list) - it's a risk, but if he got healthy on a cheap, one year deal, I don't consider it the worst idea in the world. And I'm aware that's an enormous 'if'.

Also calling him older isn't entirely accurate. Our list is young, but the 22 we put out each week really isn't. Of the 19 players we've taken in the last 5 drafts, we'll be playing 2 of those 19 against Adelaide. Our average age this week will be over 25 - Fantasia is 27. He's Laverde's age.

Of the players listed in the original comment I replied to:
  • Davey: VFL since Round 10
  • Davey: Injured/NA
  • Munkara: 0 games/Years away
  • Tex: 0 games
  • Tippa: 6 games, 4 goals
  • Menzie: 14 games, 16 goals (sub past 2 weeks)
  • Snelling: 9 games, 5 goals
  • Guelfi: 6 games, 9 goals

I feel like I've gone off on a bit of a tangent, and I'm really not overly fussed if we take him or not, I just don't quite agree with the fans labelling it a terrible idea/waste of time.

Just to be clear, he did the same thing he did in 2019 before then trying to get back to SA, having enjoyed the best bit of a front-ended contract. He even used the same phrase that it was 'a bit of a laugh'.
Did the report back then also include speaking to his manager that is not his manager anymore ?
It was not as strong rebuke last time and the circumstances where different.

Did the report back then also include speaking to his manager that is not his manager anymore ?
It was not as strong rebuke last time and the circumstances where different.
Fantasia's manager comment looks bad but isn't relevant. The story is based around the conversation Fantasia had with Merrett in which he communicated wanting to come back.

Worth noting that on Raz's timeline too, the manager bit came before the article was published, so if it was an issue, the journo can check with the manager still prior to running it.

Back