Traded #13: Orazio Fantasia - Off to Carlton as a delisted free agent, scored a 2 year deal?

Would you take Razzle Dazzle back at the Hangar?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantasia's manager comment looks bad but isn't relevant. The story is based around the conversation Fantasia had with Merrett in which he communicated wanting to come back.

Worth noting that on Raz's timeline too, the manager bit came before the article was published, so if it was an issue, the journo can check with the manager still prior to running it.
The circumstances are different. Last time around he had already said he was going to head back at some time anyway. The timeline changed more becasue of the s**t fight we where in and it went from not leaving now to leaving.

The circumstances are different. Last time around he had already said he was going to head back at some time anyway. The timeline changed more becasue of the s**t fight we where in and it went from not leaving now to leaving.
I think we can agree to disagree then because I don't remotely see it the way you do.

In 2019, Raz denied a report that he wanted to leave for SA that year. He then, months later, tried to get back to SA, in a year that, yes we'd announced a coaching succession plan, but we'd just made finals.

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

I think we can agree to disagree then because I don't remotely see it the way you do.

In 2019, Raz denied a report that he wanted to leave for SA that year. He then, months later, tried to get back to SA, in a year that, yes we'd announced a coaching succession plan, but we'd just made finals.
Well we will see what happens next. Right now he is not coming back and we have yet to signal any interest in getting him back.
Yes he did deny it but Port became more interested that something could happen and things changed. It was not like there was any secret deals in play when he said he was not leaving.
Doing it once when the other party becomes keen to have you does not actually mean it will happen again.
And yes the club was in a s**t fight with a coach who was just seeing out his contract despite making the finals.

Last edited:
Who is in this 'plethora' that's developed though? Menzie is really the only one for me.

To answer your question, it may not (advance the list) - it's a risk, but if he got healthy on a cheap, one year deal, I don't consider it the worst idea in the world. And I'm aware that's an enormous 'if'.

Also calling him older isn't entirely accurate. Our list is young, but the 22 we put out each week really isn't. Of the 19 players we've taken in the last 5 drafts, we'll be playing 2 of those 19 against Adelaide. Our average age this week will be over 25 - Fantasia is 27. He's Laverde's age.

Of the players listed in the original comment I replied to:
  • Davey: VFL since Round 10
  • Davey: Injured/NA
  • Munkara: 0 games/Years away
  • Tex: 0 games
  • Tippa: 6 games, 4 goals
  • Menzie: 14 games, 16 goals (sub past 2 weeks)
  • Snelling: 9 games, 5 goals
  • Guelfi: 6 games, 9 goals

I feel like I've gone off on a bit of a tangent, and I'm really not overly fussed if we take him or not, I just don't quite agree with the fans labelling it a terrible idea/waste of time.
I didn't say they're developed. I said we've seen some good development; ADJ, Menzie, Tex. We also have Mass who has played forward, together with Snello and Guelfi and Walla. That's 6 not including Mass.

I agree, Orazio, who turns 28 this year, does nothing to advance the list. It would have been a waste of time because we need to get games into our younger players, including JDavey next year. Orazio would have clogged the list unnecessarily.

Moot point now though. I see even he realises we wouldn't waste our time with him.

Who is in this 'plethora' that's developed though? Menzie is really the only one for me.

To answer your question, it may not (advance the list) - it's a risk, but if he got healthy on a cheap, one year deal, I don't consider it the worst idea in the world. And I'm aware that's an enormous 'if'.

Also calling him older isn't entirely accurate. Our list is young, but the 22 we put out each week really isn't. Of the 19 players we've taken in the last 5 drafts, we'll be playing 2 of those 19 against Adelaide. Our average age this week will be over 25 - Fantasia is 27. He's Laverde's age.

Of the players listed in the original comment I replied to:
  • Davey: VFL since Round 10
  • Davey: Injured/NA
  • Munkara: 0 games/Years away
  • Tex: 0 games
  • Tippa: 6 games, 4 goals
  • Menzie: 14 games, 16 goals (sub past 2 weeks)
  • Snelling: 9 games, 5 goals
  • Guelfi: 6 games, 9 goals

I feel like I've gone off on a bit of a tangent, and I'm really not overly fussed if we take him or not, I just don't quite agree with the fans labelling it a terrible idea/waste of time.
I like how the first 4 guys are all first or second players and you've compared them on performance to a guy who is 27 and has a decade of experience. But here's the sad thing:
Fantasia over this year and last year (ie the same time frame as the first or second year players have been in the AFL at max) has only managed 4 games and a whopping 2 goals. So both Davey and Tippa are ahead on performance during that same time period. Davey, Munkara and Tex are only 2 goals behind without playing a single game.

The hard part is actually talking up Fantasia's game nowadays. You can put our inexperienced guys down but good luck making Fantasia actually look good.

I didn't say they're developed. I said we've seen some good development; ADJ, Menzie, Tex. We also have Mass who has played forward, together with Snello and Guelfi and Walla. That's 6 not including Mass.

I agree, Orazio, who turns 28 this year, does nothing to advance the list. It would have been a waste of time because we need to get games into our younger players, including JDavey next year. Orazio would have clogged the list unnecessarily.

Moot point now though. I see even he realises we wouldn't waste our time with him.

You said ‘good development this season’. I said I agreed re Menzie. Explain the development for me of any of Davey, Tex, Mass, Snell, Guelfi or Tippa this year?

I like how the first 4 guys are all first or second players and you've compared them on performance to a guy who is 27 and has a decade of experience. But here's the sad thing:
Fantasia over this year and last year (ie the same time frame as the first or second year players have been in the AFL at max) has only managed 4 games and a whopping 2 goals. So both Davey and Tippa are ahead on performance during that same time period. Davey, Munkara and Tex are only 2 goals behind without playing a single game.

The hard part is actually talking up Fantasia's game nowadays. You can put our inexperienced guys down but good luck making Fantasia actually look good.

Don’t jump into something without reading the thread. Check the original post - mine was a direct reply to players that he brought up.

I don’t really care for Fantasia either way, but you can’t list Munkara and Jayden Davey as a reason not to go for a forward pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said ‘good development this season’. I said I agreed re Menzie. Explain the development for me of any of Davey, Tex, Mass, Snell, Guelfi or Tippa this year?
No, I said "we've seen some good development this season." So again, I didn't say they are developed at all.
That also was said referring to JDavey, Tex and Menzie.

I'm not going to pretend I see a lot of VFL games - I don't live in Victoria. I do listen to the opinions of some of the posters here who do though. The impression that I have is that JDavey is now playing forward and more up the ground which he wasn't at the start of the year, and finding plenty of the ball. Tex is also getting a lot more quality touches and his disposal has improved. Both are also finding better position on the ground. So yes, we've seen development in these players.

Back to the thread topic though; 28 year old Orazio, with JDavey to come in, wouldn't have advanced the list. Rather, he would have clogged it and stifled the further development of these young players. Is there anything else that's not about Orazio you'd care to pick at?

Reports in herald sun this morning stating any talk of Fantasia back to Essendon is all rubbish - Fantasia himself is very bemused about these rumors any is very clear keen to lock in another deal with Port
But...but....Scoop said?!?!?

Reports in herald sun this morning stating any talk of Fantasia back to Essendon is all rubbish - Fantasia himself is very bemused about these rumors any is very clear keen to lock in another deal with Port
Sucked in Sam.

Sam McClure is a dud, he said he spoke to Fanta's manager who, it turns out is his Ex -Manager

Some in this thread are precisely the reason many out there insist that Essendon supporters overrate their duds and fall in love with them despite all available evidence suggesting they’re just not that great.
Razzyboi isn’t even ours, hasn’t played footy for years and still the fanbois are out there.

Absolute no from me too. Nothing personal, we all knew he was going to head home at some point. However, we're in development phase so need to be cycling through latter picks to find a good small forward like he was tracking to be. If we had 60 on the list and he was happy to play a lot of VFL, then I'd be open to it. Back in reality it is a no from me.

Reports that he is to be delisted by Port and will be rookied by GWS, who believe they can get his body right.

Good luck to him, I always felt it was a good example for us of what to do with these permanently injured types - you just have to let go of them.
Get his body right? Do they have spare parts for his hip that would take less than 12 months to recover from?

Back