1990-2010-2023 Combined team

Remove this Banner Ad

I love these combined team challenges, they are often quite thought provoking and have you wrestling with your head & heart constantly.

Here is my Combined 1990-2010-2023 Premiership Team.

B:Jeremy HoweBen ReidIsaac Quaynor
HB:Heath ShawDarcy MooreBrayden Maynard
C:Mick McGuaneScott PendleburyDarren Millane
HF:Nick DaicosTravis ClokeAlan Didak
F:Peter DaicosGavin BrownSteele Sidebottom
FOLL:Darren JollyJordan de GoeyDane Swan
INT:Leigh BrownGraham WrightJack Crisp
Bobby Hill
SUB:Dale Thomas
COACH:Craig McRae

Now before I give my "Honourable Mentions" I want to make it clear that this is my BEST TEAM and may not include club captains or B&F winners and other noticeable omissions. So, let me explain my rationale line by line.

B: & HB: - In defence I wanted a mix of lock down, intercept and run & carry. These 6 guys deliver all of this. IQ may be surprising but I think he has been our best small defender in my living memory.

C: & FOLL: - This is the midfield and on-ball brigade. Full of run, silk, toughness, creativity, power & goal scoring ability.

HF: & F: - Browny & Trav are our two best KPF targets. The rest provide magic & skill with deadly finishing.

INT: - Here I wanted versatility, run & x-factor. Leigh Brown is my WTF entry but if you think about it, he was the ultimate 2nd Ruck/Forward all teams should have.

SUB: - Well, Daisy would have made the Best 22 if he didn't turn coat off to the Scum, but he was such a magnificent player for us and absolutely deserves to be here.

Coach: - A flag in 2 years......what more can you say.

Honourable Mentions:
  • Michael Christian
  • Craig Kelly
  • Scott Russell
  • Tony Francis
  • Damian Monkhorst
  • Tony Shaw
  • Nick Maxwell
  • Josh Daicos
  • Jamie Elliott

Last edited:
I love these combined team challenges, they are often quite thought provoking and have you wrestling with your head & heart constantly.

Here is my Combined 1990-2010-2023 Premiership Team.

B:Jeremy HoweBen ReidIsaac Quaynor
HB:Heath ShawDarcy MooreBrayden Maynard
C:Mick McGuaneScott PendleburyDarren Millane
HF:Nick DaicosTravis ClokeAlan Didak
F:Peter DaicosGavin BrownSteele Sidebottom
FOLL:Darren JollyJordan de GoeyDane Swan
INT:Leigh BrownGraham WrightJack Crisp
Bobby Hill
SUB:Dale Thomas
COACH:Craig McRae

Now before I give my "Honourable Mentions" I want to make it clear that this is my BEST TEAM and may not include club captains or B&F winners and other noticeable omissions. So, let me explain my rationale line by line.

B: & HB: - In defence I wanted a mix of lock down, intercept and run & carry. These 6 guys deliver all of this. IQ may be surprising but I think he has been our best small defender in my living memory.

C: & FOLL: - This is the midfield and on-ball brigade. Full of run, silk, toughness, creativity, power & goal scoring ability.

HF: & F: - Browny & Trav are our two best KPF targets. The rest provide magic & skill with deadly finishing.

INT: - Here I wanted versatility, run & x-factor. Leigh Brown is my WTF entry but if you think about it, he was the ultimate 2nd Ruck/Forward all teams should have.

SUB: - Well, Daisy would have made the Best 22 if he didn't turn coat off to the Scum, but he was such a magnificent player for us and absolutely deserves to be here.

Coach: - A flag in 2 years......what more can you say.

Honourable Mentions:
  • Michael Christian
  • Craig Kelly
  • Scott Russell
  • Tony Francis
  • Damian Monkhorst
  • Tony Shaw
  • Nick Maxwell
  • Josh Daicos
  • Jamie Elliott
LMAO you can safely ignore me. I’m so used to suffering that now losing grand final sides are premiership teams to me 😂

L Brown ahead of A Rocca is bewildering. Rocca was both a better relief ruck and forward.
Sorry, I disagree. Leigh Brown had a much bigger tank and could run up and down the ground far better than Pebbles. Plus Brown actually played the dual position role where Pebbles played mostly as HF/FF.

Sorry, I disagree. Leigh Brown had a much bigger tank and could run up and down the ground far better the Pebbles. Plus Brown actually played the dual position role where Pebbles played mostly as HF/FF.
Well I’m glad you disagree so I can tear your opinion apart without feeling foolish about forgetting the entire premise of the thread 😂

Well I’m glad you disagree so I can tear your opinion apart without feeling foolish about forgetting the entire premise of the thread 😂
All good Tark! I thought someone would tear apart my Leigh Brown selection but I thought I made a good argument for his inclusion, but still after only 4 minutes someone dared to question my sanity!! ;)

All good Tark! I thought someone would tear apart my Leigh Brown selection but I thought I made a good argument for his inclusion, but still after only 4 minutes someone dared to question my sanity!! ;)
I will rescind my argument and admit that your selection has more merit than mine. ;)

I now move to M Cox though :p

I will rescind my argument and admit that your selection has more merit than mine. ;)

I now move to M Cox though :p
It is funny as I too thought of Pebbles as a premiership player. Same as Bucks, these guys just deserved to be. Maybe we should do a Combined Premiership and Close GF Loss Team of 1990-2002-2003-2010-2011-2018-2023. Now that would be tough! I'd find a place for Andy Krakouer in the forward line somehow, what a magician he was in 2011.

It is funny as I too thought of Pebbles as a premiership player. Same as Bucks, these guys just deserved to be. Maybe we should do a Combined Premiership and Close GF Loss Team of 1990-2002-2003-2010-2011-2018-2023. Now that would be tough! I'd find a place for Andy Krakouer in the forward line somehow, what a magician he was in 2011.
Easiest one of the lot. Tarkyn Lockyer x 22 plus McRae as coach 🤗

Gav Crosisca very underrated in this thread. Was a gun. Hard at it. Lovely kick. I’d have him in ahead of heater and iq(at this stage of his career) on par with Howe and Maynard.

Ben Johnson craig Kelly. Heath Shaw

Shane morwood. Darcy Moore Jeremy howe

Darren millane T Shaw. S Sidebottom

Didak. Cloke. N daicos

Peter daicos. Gavin brown. D swan

Monkey
Pendles
De goey

Crisp ,Wright ,Russell
Mcguane Daisy

Josh d close
This is closest to my side, I’m so glad you put in Shane Morwood, he gets overlooked by so many people. He was a gun defender and his use of the ball was elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: H Shaw Moore Morwood
HB: Maynard Kelly Crisp
C: Steele T Shaw Millane
HF: N Daicos Cloke JDG
F: Didak P Daicos Brown
R: Monkey Swan Pendles
I: Wright Thomas McGuane Russell

Very hard task! May need another tall in the backline (Reid) or another tall forward? The 1990 forward line was very short though.
This team would win four flags in a row.

A hard task, and most people tend to favour recent stars.

A good start is to consider our AAs from respective seasons.

Peter Daicos (half forward flank)
Mick McGuane (interchange)
Darren Millane (wing)
Scott Russell (forward pocket)
Tony Shaw (centre, captain)
Graham Wright (wing)

Alan Didak (half forward)
Harry O’Brien (half back flank)
Scott Pendlebury (interchange)
Dane Swan (ruck-rover)

Darcy Moore (centre half back)
Josh Daicos (wing)
Nick Daicos (rover)

And then you have guys like G.Brown, Maxwell, Cloke, Reid, Maynard, Sidebottom who also been AA level players.

My team

Maynard, B.Reid, Maxwell
H.O'Brien, Moore, G.Wright
Millane, T.Shaw, J.Daicos
P.Daicos, T.Cloke, A.Didak
S.Russell, G.Brown, S.Sidebottom
Monkey, D.Swan, N.Daicos

INT

Pendles, McGuane, DeGoey, J.Crisp, Morwood

You should have to specify which Sidebottom and which Pendlebury you're picking. I'd say Pendlebury for 2010 despite his massive last quarter in 2023 but I would pick old Sidebottom over 2010 version.

Heres a side of Pies from the era that didn't get to play in a premiership... who wins?

B. Leon Davis. Presti. Johnny Noble
HB. Burns. Tarrant. Clement
C: Wells. Bucks Lockyer
HF: Fraser. Rocca. Adams
F. Krak. Rocca. Medhurst

R. Grundy Treloar Licuria

Int: O'Bree Holland Stepho Langdon
SUB: Clarke
Nice work!

Jeez, at their best, you'd have to suggest the ones who missed out would win. At worst its a close run thing.

Heres a side of Pies from the era that didn't get to play in a premiership... who wins?

B. Leon Davis. Presti. Johnny Noble
HB. Burns. Tarrant. Clement
C: Wells. Bucks Lockyer
HF: Fraser. Rocca. Adams
F. Krak. Rocca. Medhurst

R. Grundy Treloar Licuria

Int: O'Bree Holland Stepho Langdon
SUB: Clarke
That midfield would have been fun

A hard task, and most people tend to favour recent stars.

A good start is to consider our AAs from respective seasons.

Peter Daicos (half forward flank)
Mick McGuane (interchange)
Darren Millane (wing)
Scott Russell (forward pocket)
Tony Shaw (centre, captain)
Graham Wright (wing)

Alan Didak (half forward)
Harry O’Brien (half back flank)
Scott Pendlebury (interchange)
Dane Swan (ruck-rover)

Darcy Moore (centre half back)
Josh Daicos (wing)
Nick Daicos (rover)

And then you have guys like G.Brown, Maxwell, Cloke, Reid, Maynard, Sidebottom who also been AA level players.

My team

Maynard, B.Reid, Maxwell
H.O'Brien, Moore, G.Wright
Millane, T.Shaw, J.Daicos
P.Daicos, T.Cloke, A.Didak
S.Russell, G.Brown, S.Sidebottom
Monkey, D.Swan, N.Daicos

INT

Pendles, McGuane, DeGoey, J.Crisp, Morwood
Shane morwood was an absolute star
Daicos like skills on backline .. straight onto a half back flank

Shane morwood was an absolute star
Daicos like skills on backline .. straight onto a half back flank
Yeah, Morwood was great and I put him on the bench.

I first put in players who had AA in the premiership year

Which gave

HB - H.O'Brien, Moore
C - Millane, T.Shaw, J.Daicos & G.Wright
Foll xxx, Swan, N.Daicos
HF P.Daicos, xxx, A.Didak

So I moved G.Wright to the HBF as cant have 3 wingmen, and J.Daicos getting BnF means he cant be moved.

I gave Maynard, 2nd BnF and AA team the year before, a starting backline position.

Maxwell my other pick, in 2010 BnF he was best outside our gun midfield and also was AA team the year before.

A hard job, but starting point being AAs and actual finishing positions in BnF hence why I went for Wright, Maynard and Harry over Morwood.

IMHO people massively under value Harry due to the later issues, 2010 he was a weapon and star HBF.

Not an easy task and we probably end up with some players out of positions like Wrighty as hbf.
Wrighty as recruitment guru is the right position 👌
He fixed all of our past mistakes.
He is running this show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back