2008 NRL Grand Final - Manly Sea Eagles vs Melbourne Storm

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly a forgettable night for the Storm and they now have two unwanted records from this finals series: First time for 1st to lose to 8th and biggest loss ever in a grand final. :(

Oh well...next year.

Seems to be a lot of talk about Storm fans having a teary?

I for one couldn't possibly cry after that performance, it's almost like it didn't even happen. It wasn't even close to heartbreaking because it was like we didn't even make the GF!

As for the 'bandwagoners' I'm not sure they'd be crying either, after all, they are 'bandwagoners'.

Saying goodbye to Folau, Crocker, Kaufusi, Jeremy Smith, Geyer and I suppose you can count Aitken too.............that's gonna take some filling.

I can't see how Melbourne can continue to be the dominant force they have been over the past few years, but a side with Cam Smith, Slater, Inglis, Cronk, Hoffman and Johnson is still going to be a tough side to beat, especially in Melbourne.

Congrats to Manly, they can consider themselves unlucky not to have been minor premiers, but put in 3 dominant finals displays culminating in the belting they dished out tonight.

I look forward to next year........

We will miss Crocker and Folou and Jeremy Smith, but they way the nrl runs the game, how can we keep them....its crazy something should be done where players don't change clubs so often, raise the salary cap.
I would like to see a draft system in place as well....but that won't happen with the nrl. The game needs a complete overhaul.....and I am not saying this now cos we lost the granny, been saying to my friends for a long time.

Falou will go to rugby soon. which is good.

BUT WE GET TAUTAMA who is going to star.

Am too drunk & too downright sad to post much tonight. Chucked my second sickie in 2 weeks to watch the game today. Am just happy I didn't do anything stupid & fly up at short notice. Am going to have enough grief at work tomorrow as is.

The best thing out of all this from a Storm prospective is that they will no longer be the hunted & will hopefully not get the media scrutiny & derision that has completely unsettled the club over the last month.

Hell, I must be turning into some sort of Victorian or something. My team loses & I'm tempted to ring the club up tomorrow and buy a membership at this difficult time out of solidarity and commitment to the cause.

Congrats Manly. You lot were way too good. Everyone else will start hating you again, which again is good for rugby league I guess.;)

The overwhelming feeling I have tonight is of despair. Dominating the NRL for 3 whole seasons for 1 measly Premiership. That is pretty hard to take.:(

JF

We will miss Crocker and Folou and Jeremy Smith, but they way the nrl runs the game, how can we keep them....its crazy something should be done where players don't change clubs so often, raise the salary cap.
I would like to see a draft system in place as well....but that won't happen with the nrl. The game needs a complete overhaul.....and I am not saying this now cos we lost the granny, been saying to my friends for a long time.

It does need an overhaul when a team with no juniors makes 3 grand finals in a row ;)

Might teach the Storm that grappling will only get you so far. The best thing about today/night is that the team that threw the ball around rather than wrestling won the game. Plus great to see Beaver go out a winner..and good to see Smith get booed. Might teach him to tackle properly next time. Storm fans have every right to be filthy with Smith- he cost you any chance of winning the GF.

Every club is the same..get 3rd party deals. That is how Brisbane have done it and continue to do it. Melbourne should get with the times. Is it any wonder Izzy is going home..yes family came into it..the 300-500K that he can get through radio station deals did help though!:D

Falou will go to rugby soon. which is good.

BUT WE GET TAUTAMA who is going to star.

Do you just go around on random boards just making up complete and utter tripe?

The worrying thing today for the storm was that not many of them really put in shockers, yet we got hammered. I'm still in shock by the result. Manly fully deserved that victory. Congrats.

Great win by the Sea-Eagles.

Extremely happy for Beaver. A true champion of the game.

Every club is the same..get 3rd party deals. That is how Brisbane have done it and continue to do it. Melbourne should get with the times. Is it any wonder Izzy is going home..yes family came into it..the 300-500K that he can get through radio station deals did help though!:D
Paris Hilton, U2, and the Pope combined wouldn't be able to fetch a 300-500k radio deal.

WTF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you just go around on random boards just making up complete and utter tripe?

The worrying thing today for the storm was that not many of them really put in shockers, yet we got hammered. I'm still in shock by the result. Manly fully deserved that victory. Congrats.

You must have a different definition of shocker to me. I classify any time a player/s cannot get anything going whatsoever as a shocker, and there were at least 14 Melbourne players in that position yesterday. Some had bigger shockers than others, but the only blokes I thought did anything that looked remotely promising yesterday was Izzy and Billy. Apart from that the cupboard was bare.

Paris Hilton, U2, and the Pope combined wouldn't be able to fetch a 300-500k radio deal.

WTF?

I reckon. Geezuz.

Must have meant 500 dollars a week :rolleyes:

Robbieando said:
I wouldn't call going off and playing a season in England for some coin "Loyal" but I guess the people of Sydney and the NRL have a different meaning to one club man

Come on, the guy stayed loyal to Manly and at times took massive pay cuts to stay with them when he could've walked away at any time to get the big $$$ that teams like Parramatta and the Roosters were offering.

I don't begrudge him a season in England, he deserves a pay day and you can guarantee the beaver will put in week in week out over there too.

Plus the poms have been after him for years and if they are willing to help boost his bank managers coffers, who are we to complain.

A true great who got what he deserved in the end, it doesn't happen often.

I never thought much of him at the beginning, I always thought it was Cliffy that made him, but over the years, the tries and other stuff kept on coming, so he is defiantly one of the best.

Like the Population of Sydney did themselves any favours (case in point you)

The NRL couldn't force them to run or coach the Wests Tigers:D

I wouldn't call going off and playing a season in England for some coin "Loyal" but I guess the people of Sydney and the NRL have a different meaning to one club man:rolleyes:

Still unlike the whole of New South Wales when something doesn't go their way, I'll at least admit that Manly deserve their Premiership, were the better side this year and on the day and it is good to see Menzies, Orford and Bell all get Rings.
Bitch please, this guys played 349 games for the one club. Due to the nature of Salary Cap rules they couldnt fit him under for next season at a price that wasnt insulting to his contribution to the club. Thats where the issue is, the NRL should better look after veterans, particularly those loyal to one club ala Menzies.
As for your NSW comment, how bitter are you? Geez. Are you actually Brian waldron? He's come out with an interesting statement today

Melbourne Storm boss blasts 'disgraceful' Sydney crowd

5 minutes ago. | Dominic Brock

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/...l_Sydney_crowd

Hear Brian Waldron's attack on Sydneysiders
Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron has launched an attack on the people of Sydney after suspended captain Cameron Smith was booed by fans at yesterday’s NRL grand final.

Smith – was banned for two weeks for a grapple tackle, ruling him out of Melbourne’s 40-0 loss to Manly yesterday – was subjected to boos from the crowd when his face was shown on ANZ Stadium’s big screen.

Waldron, who along with coach Craig Bellamy is facing legal action over comments made against the NRL judiciary after Smith was suspended, described the crowd’s actions as “a disgrace”.

“When Cameron Smith’s face came up on the screen last night, 80,000 people… 60,000 people booed him,” Waldron told SEN radio.

“I think if any insults are to be thrown, they should be thrown they should be thrown at the people of Sydney, because that was an absolute disgrace.

“To do that do a player that’s the Australian captain, whether it’s in jest, whether they’re full of drink, I don’t know what it is.

“I was disgusted in the crowd last night to do that to the Australian captain and they need to be told – I think (NRL boss) David Gallop should come out and make a statement about what a disgrace it is to treat the Australian captain like that.”

Gallop has appeared on Ray Hadley’s 2GB morning program today, but did not take Waldron up on his suggestion to berate yesterday’s grand final crowd.
Waaaah Wally Waldron, people have been booing people on sporting fields since sporting fields began, and when a player like Smyth is charged and found guilty, then you and you stupid coach come out and berate the media, of course he will be booed. And for the record he is not Australian captain, lockyer is. Smyth is the stand in.

To the decent Melbourne fans around who copped it on the chin and didnt blame refs as there seemed to be in early pages of this thread, bad luck, you got towelled on the day completely, its just one of those things that happens in footy im afraid. Good luck next season, sure you'll be competitive yet again (def more competitive than my side in the NRL anyway:cool:).

Im personally happy to see Melbourne lose, but disgusted to see Manly win. It was a lose lose situation to be honest, cannot stand either side. Still, Menzies is a top player and a decent person, one of my favourites despite his club, so was pleasing to see him get a good farewell.

Bring on the World Cup!

never have never will like waldon. he is a plain clown most of the time.

toughest game i have ever been at.....just shattered but at half time i knew we were no chance

congrats to Manly,m, Steve deserved to be sent out a winner

the storm will be back bigger and better next year and will take our trophy back, i was just sad for israel. he doesnt want to leave. and thanks for ur work micky crocker. hopefully the rumours are true that clint is coming back,

You must have a different definition of shocker to me. I classify any time a player/s cannot get anything going whatsoever as a shocker, and there were at least 14 Melbourne players in that position yesterday. Some had bigger shockers than others, but the only blokes I thought did anything that looked remotely promising yesterday was Izzy and Billy. Apart from that the cupboard was bare.

I agree, I have seen a few of the replays (was at the game) and cannot really see anything wrong with "how" Storm played, the Manly defence was just to good, we were unlucky on some phases of play, but that is how the goose gets cooked. Manly are deserved winners, and how I loathe to say it, but also there are no other way to say it, they were the better team on the day, All congrats to Manly.

0,,6284879,00.jpg

Manly won due to having balls to throw the ball around.

we just played up the middle we had no plan b.
Bellamy is a s**t coach

1/3 GF WINS
1/3 Origin Wins

cant handle the big time

Sack Bellamy
Hire Folkes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back