NFL 2010 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2010 Off-Season: Free Agency, Trades, Rumors

he doesn't want to play as a nose tackle in a 3-4, he only wants to be in a 4-3.

couldn't tell you who's going to want him though.

I am sure someone like the Lions might trade for him (imagine Haynesworth and Suh). Anyway Haynesworth should just stick to his contract. That's the idea behind a long term contract - you agree to play for a team long term. Not get a huge signing bonus and piss off the next season.

Did you read it? Its not a money dispute. Its more about signing him to play one position and now trying to convert him.

TBH i dont blame him.

Yes i did read it, still think if your paid that much when signed on for a long term contract, you probably should stick it out more than a year even if they are playing a different defensive scheme.

Yes i did read it, still think if your paid that much when signed on for a long term contract, you probably should stick it out more than a year even if they are playing a different defensive scheme.

If you signed as a veteran QB, and they tried to convert you to WR, would you stay?

Its not a money dispute.

It could turn that way should the Redskins try to recoup some of his bonus money

If you signed as a veteran QB, and they tried to convert you to WR, would you stay?

Darnell Dockett summed it up succinctly:

That's why I tell yall I'm nothing like these dudes, for a 100millon my ass will play 4-3, 3-4 5-9, 4-8, and still whip ass!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5294399

NFL will still play 20 games ayear but instead of 16 regular games and 4 pre-season, it would change to 18 and 2. Tom Brady and Ray Lewis are against saying the imact will be too much for their bodies. The owners are the ones that seem keen for the change. I wouldn't mind, 2 extra weeks of NFL would be great but the system isn't broke and doesn't really need fixing.

From what Shanahan said though, he signed the contract to get the 21 mill guaranteed money understanding what his role in the team would be. If that is the case it is a bit rich to now be doing this.

From what Shanahan said though, he signed the contract to get the 21 mill guaranteed money understanding what his role in the team would be. If that is the case it is a bit rich to now be doing this.

How could that possibly be true considering this system wasnt even being brought in when he signed?

Completely different situation then to them moving from a 4-3, to a 3-4. It is still technically moving positions but it's still silmilar like your example. If your getting that sort of money, deal with it. And a veteran QB wouldn't be getting anywhere near the money Haynesworth is getting anyway.

EDIT: He was given an option to be released in Febuary and he wouldn't get the $21 million bonus i April, so basically eh's decided to take the cheque and run.

Completely different situation then to them moving from a 4-3, to a 3-4. It is still technically moving positions but it's still silmilar like your example. If your getting that sort of money, deal with it. And a veteran QB wouldn't be getting anywhere near the money Haynesworth is getting anyway.

EDIT: He was given an option to be released in Febuary and he wouldn't get the $21 million bonus i April, so basically eh's decided to take the cheque and run.

That is what my take on it was. Was told what the system would be prior to signing on for his 21 million. I am assuming ST you have heard something different??

Did you read it? Its not a money dispute. Its more about signing him to play one position and now trying to convert him.

TBH i dont blame him.

I think it's even more than that STO, although what I am not certain.

He's full of praise for Snyder, obviously because he got him to the Skins, but something has gone awry since with his and the front office relationship. Shanahan has gone out and got a nose tackle or 2, hasn't he, so I'm not sure he's too worried about even trying to talk Haynesworth into staying.

Him and his manager are certainly hitting the hustings fiercely in DC to make sure everyone thinks it's the defensive formation. Hopefully they can get us a decent trade after the money Snyder outlaid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redskins look to have signed OT Jammal Brown from the Saints.

Further info on the Haynesworth debacle, here is an excerpt from Shanahan's press conference after mini-camp:

"Said Shanahan: "When I first talked with Albert back in February, and got a good feel on how he felt, and sat down and talked with his agent, we let Albert know at that time that we would give him until April 1 to go to any team he wanted to in the National Football League.
"So if he wasn’t pleased about playing nose tackle or any other position we had planned for him, then we would let him take a look at any team he wanted to go to.
"But on April 1, when we owed him a check for $21 million dollars, we said, ’If you take that check, we do expect you to be the best defensive end, the best nose tackle--if we play you at free safety, we expect you to be the best free safety,’ even though he’d have to lose a little weight."

I like what Mawae said about him recently...

And considering his comments about Washington wayward millionaire defensive tackle and former Tennessee teammate Albert Haynesworth on Sirius Satellite Radio, how could you not want Mawae in your locker room?

“You talk about someone putting a mask on and going in backwards to get his paycheck,” Mawae said. “I mean, if you don’t want to be there, don’t take the $21 million contract. How things turned out, it’s no surprise to guys that have played with him in Tennessee. You know, what do you say?

“I mean, you’re getting paid a ton of money to play less and you’re complaining about it. At the end of the day, it’s one thing to be a football player and get paid lots of money, but there’s a whole lot more to be said about being a man. You know, he’s a great player when he wants to be and he can be one of the best in the league and I’ve said that to him in his face before. But to this point he doesn’t want to do it on a consistent basis.

“At some point in time in the game, you know, you got to do what’s right for yourself and what’s right for you and your family. I think $32 million guaranteed in one year pretty much takes care of those issues. I think the other issues go beyond the football field.”

^^ Love it GG!:D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5294399

NFL will still play 20 games ayear but instead of 16 regular games and 4 pre-season, it would change to 18 and 2. Tom Brady and Ray Lewis are against saying the imact will be too much for their bodies. The owners are the ones that seem keen for the change. I wouldn't mind, 2 extra weeks of NFL would be great but the system isn't broke and doesn't really need fixing.

That's not confirmed yet - plenty of signatures and other working required first, isn't there?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d818baad0/A-longer-season

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d818b2963/Enhancing-the-season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818b09d4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think it will happen. It will mean extra revenue which the players will get a slice of so they will agree to it.

I think the big news is the possibility of a developmental league. I'd have thought their entire college system served as such, but perhaps NCAA and NFL is still too much of a gap for a lot of guys.

Would prefer the current setup (4+16) as the pre season games might seem excessive but they are important dress rehearsals, blowing out the cobwebs and especially for the many backup players on a roster. I'm just glad there is no pathetic mini-competition in preseason like the afl. Also, regular season atm is quality over quantity. But change is inevitable so I'm ready to embrace it.

Currently teams play 12 intraconference (same) and only 4 interconference (other), so surely the two will come from the latter. Looking at the Cleveland schedule example below, they are playing the NFC North, and the following season NFC South so the two games could be against similarly placed teams from the other two divisions, which would be the Rams and Redskins. Any other ideas on where the two games will come from?

20s6a6v.jpg

Would prefer the current setup (4+16) as the pre season games might seem excessive but they are important dress rehearsals, blowing out the cobwebs and especially for the many backup players on a roster. I'm just glad there is no pathetic mini-competition in preseason like the afl. Also, regular season atm is quality over quantity. But change is inevitable so I'm ready to embrace it.

Currently teams play 12 intraconference (same) and only 4 interconference (other), so surely the two will come from the latter. Looking at the Cleveland schedule example below, they are playing the NFC North, and the following season NFC South so the two games could be against similarly placed teams from the other two divisions, which would be the Rams and Redskins. Any other ideas on where the two games will come from?

2uxxsty.jpg

Indeed - and that is why a lot is going to change. I don't know how the AFL are going to handle extending their season, but the NFL are too professional to just change things without figuring our what pre- and off-season changes will be required. The teams need to test players and blow out the cobwebs, but they'll have to have done more work before the first pre-season game.

More inter-conference games would be a plus I think. It would expose some of the divisions to more, better competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back