2012 MLB Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So pumped MLB is back but man i hate the fact its just these 2 playing over a couple days and we have to wait til next week for the other teams.

Mariners owner who lives in Japan isnt even going to the game and has never seen them play live in 13 years of ownership LOL.

Looking forward to it.

Should be a cracking season of baseball :thumbsu:

The Dodgers have been sold for $2.15 billion to a group that includes Magic Johnson and former Braves and Nationals president Stan Kasten.

It's a record sales price for a U.S sports franchise, nearly doubling the previous record.

Not sure about us playing the opener in Japan, happy for it for Spring Training but to start the season?

Good to see the Mariners still know who to stuff up their base running.:p

Interesting game so far, both Suzukis in on the action.:)

Love the "Ishi-Meter".:thumbsu:

Edit: A's even worse then the Mariners for RISP, 1/11 after 7 innings.

Good start to the season- heard something that Sydney is trying to get the opening series for the 2014 season.

Dodgers sale- ridiculous numbers there, but they will get it back, you can eb sure of that. Wonder how high Dodger tickets will go?

Great to see Ichiro for 4 for 5. A's had their chances 1 for 14 RISP!!
Was looking forward to seeing Cespedes. Hit deep to CF for a double but his two strikeouts were a worry. Chased a few in the dirt and struck out on a poor pitch from Wilhelmsen. Maybe nerves, looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Impressive start from both starters and Balfour did his job, although did get hit deep twice. Ackley looks like he's going to step up.

Long year for both teams coming up, either would be happy with 75 wins.

Good first up win, second game starts in about an hour. Got to get wins in this series considering both teams are playing for third in the division. Can't imagine the crowd over there with Ichiro........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some fans are complaining that this series has been a "soft opening" compared to the traditional opening days in the US, I think this article sums up the reason why the Japan trip was a success.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...i/03/27/japan.opener/index.html?sct=mlb_wr_a1

Whatever complaints or qualms people might have about opening the Major League Baseball season in Japan should have ended the minute the Oakland Athletics deplaned at Narita International Airport outside Tokyo on March 23. The Athletics, losers of 88 games last year, who have not had a winning season in five years and who finished last in the American League in attendance last season, were treated like rock stars. Flash bulbs popped and fans called out to the players by name. When Jerry Blevins is recognized walking through an airport in a suit, you know you have found one serious fan base.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...i/03/27/japan.opener/index.html?sct=mlb_wr_a1

I actually liked the series in Japan, heck you play in a city with 36 Million people and you are guaranteed a sellout and great tv numbers locally, let alone in the US, and it's the only time of year they can do this.:)

Some fans are complaining that this series has been a "soft opening" compared to the traditional opening days in the US, I think this article sums up the reason why the Japan trip was a success.

I actually liked the series in Japan, heck you play in a city with 36 Million people and you are guaranteed a sellout and great tv numbers locally, let alone in the US, and it's the only time of year they can do this.:)

Well, MLB has screwed around with Opening Day quite a bit since bud Lite took over. Used to be the reds always hosted Opening Day, and it was a huge day in Cincy, with a parade and a huge crowd.

One of the things I heard is that Oakland refused to broadcast the game on their local television network- no idea why, since it was the middle of the night on the west coast. Still, A's fans with MLB passes would be OK, I guess.

I have no problem with opening in Japan- and the Mariners, with Ichiro and Japanese ownership, are a natural fit for that.Baseball really is becoming a world wide event, and if they ahve the opportunity to take a few games overseas (likely at the start of the season), why not?

Yeah, the times are njot good for fans in the US, but you can always catch a replay if you want to.

I'm intrigued by the idea of Sydney hosting an opening series in 2014. That could be fun. I guess they would play at the Olympic stadium?

Great to have the season under way!

I reckon Sydney got bugger all chance of hosting a game anytime soon. Read an article with a MLB exec and he was raving on about how many countries would like an opportunity to host a game. He mentioned about 10 countries and nearly all in Europe. Market here is just way too small.

Australia has no where to host a game, it's as simple as that
Etihad Stadium could host a game now worries, put the outfield wall on one side, cutting out bottom deck seats, and the rest of the ground would make a fairly natural baseball field shape.

Plus the roof would guarantee full games without disruption.

No where else in Australia is there a more appropriate venue.

Pinieda on the DL to start the season for the Yanks- soreness in his shoulder. MRI showed nothing.

Red Sox with injuries on the pitching staff. Bailey and Beckett both have injured thumbs- aceves is expected to start the second game of the season in place of Beckett.

Bard and Dubront fill out the rotation- wonder if Wake might contemplate a comeback?

Giants have signed Matt Cain to a 6 year $120m contract

Hamels now has a number for his negotiations

A few reports saying Votto has signed a 10 yr $220m extension (still has 2 yrs left of current contract), so that will take him to 40 years old and Reds have included a no-trade clause.
The Votto contract is insane. It takes up a third of the cap at the moment how are they going to field a good team when he is past his peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back