NFL 2012 NFL Pre-Season - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't having a go at him but was wondering if he reserved football judgment due to his lack of a career so far. Ftr I agree with Nato dog, I'd love to see him as a TE.
I wasn't having a go at you either buddy, I'm just not a Tebow fan at all.

It's America, biggest stadium is best stadium.

correction.. It's AMERICA.. LOUDEST stadium is the best stadium! :p

Nothing like an opposition QB who has trouble trying to hear the sideline playcall in his helmet radio/ having trouble communicating the audible to his team. :D

Nope. It's the one with the biggest screen! :p

And $60 (plain) Pizza's! :D Funny how stuff like Jerry's pizza's subsidise the power to run that elevated distraction that merely is a cheerleader TV. ;)

[YOUTUBE]XPuF8HvDR1o[/YOUTUBE]

NFL faces another labor dispute - with officials

In 2001, the NFL responded to a labor battle with game officials by locking them out and hiring replacements.

In 2012, it could be happening all over again.

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that the NFL has commenced plans for hiring replacement officials, as negotiations with game officials reach an impasse.

“Talks are ongoing, and should the two sides reach an agreement in the near future, there will be no need to hire additional officials,” NFL director of recruiting officials Ron Bayne writes in a letter obtained by Marvez. “This is a contingency plan to make sure the NFL season will continue on schedule as planned.”

As Marvez explains, replacement officials were used 11 years ago for the final exhibition games and the first week of regular-season games. A new CBA was reached with game officials during the one-week NFL hiatus resulting from the 9/11 attacks.

Today, however, the game has changed. With the NFL pushing for player safety — and relying on game officials to be more involved in spotting players who may have suffered concussions — the use of second-tier officials could undermine the league’s safety objectives.

The negotiations are reaching critical mass not long after Commissioner Roger Goodell floated the idea of experimenting with full-time officials. Which means that the NFL realizes that the quality of the officiating can be improved. Which means that it’s not acceptable to have anything other than the best officials.

In hindsight, it’s possible that Goodell mused about full-time officials as part of the effort to leverage game officials into accepting the league’s terms, given that most if not all of them prefer the ability to have a “real” job in addition to working for the NFL on weekends during football season.

QB Kellen Moore had a bad showing thru the Lions rookie minicamp, even got outperformed by an Arena league QB.

I think there's also a short video in the link...

http://www.kivitv.com/sports/151330705.html

According to John Kreger of CBSSports.com -- Kellen Moore didn't have a good showing at rookie camp. He writes:

QB Kellen Moore's passing improved during Detroit's rookie mini-camp practice Sunday, but his performance over the three-day orientation left a lot to be desired. Moore wasn't consistent in drills, and his effort gave credence to questions surrounding his arm strength that saw him go undrafted. Non-roster invitee QB RJ Archer, who was given leave from the Arena Football League's Georgia Force to attend Detroit's workouts, outperformed Moore at times. Despite his consistent effort, Archer's a long shot to be given a roster spot for OTA workouts and training camp.

After Day 2 - John Kreger of CBSSports.com writes:

Undrafted free agent QB Kellen Moore hasn't been impressive in the first two days of rookie minicamp. Coach Jim Schwartz has repeatedly cautioned against pre-judging players' abilities based on workouts, but Moore's streaky performances and odd throwing mechanics haven't inspired confidence. Moore seemed destined for the third QB spot because GM Martin Mayhew said he valued carrying three QBs on the roster. Schwartz, however, said there is no guarantee Detroit will use three QBs. Moore's performances will need to improve if he wants to earn a roster spot.

---------------

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) — By now, Kellen Moore is used to the doubters.

His Boise State team fought for respect throughout his college career, and after leading the Broncos to 50 victories — a Football Bowl Subdivision record for a starting quarterback — Moore still went undrafted last month.

He was in camp with the Detroit Lions over the weekend after signing on with them as a free agent, and in a way, this is merely the latest chance for poised left-hander to prove himself.

"I think that's like a lot of us — we like to kind of take an underdog approach," Moore said. "That's the way all sports teams try to take it. You always try and find a way to be the underdog in your mind, and get excited about opportunities."

Moore completed nearly 70 percent of his passes in four years at Boise State — not bad, considering Idaho was the only other bowl school to offer a scholarship. Last season, he threw for 3,800 yards with 43 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Of course, those aren't the only numbers attached to Moore's profile. The 6-foot, 197-pound Moore will have to overcome concerns about his size and arm strength. He's 3 inches shorter than Matthew Stafford and Shaun Hill, the top two quarterbacks on Detroit's depth chart.

That helps explain why pick after pick went by in the draft without Moore's name being called. By the time it was over, he was ready to put that experience behind him.

"I kind of quit watching toward the end," Moore said. "We were more doing phone conversations and just sorting it all out. ... Obviously, like any kid, your dream is certainly to be drafted. Things happen for a reason, and things come in goofy ways."

Drew Stanton, Detroit's No. 3 quarterback, left as a free agent this offseason, opening a potential spot for somebody such as Moore. Coach Jim Schwartz has been hesitant to read too much into anybody's performance during this three-day rookie minicamp, which started Friday.

"He's left-handed," Schwartz cracked when asked what he's noticed about Moore.
But the Lions brought him in for a reason, and they don't expect him to be overwhelmed by the adjustment to the pros.

"He's used to being a quarterback, he's used to being the center of attention," Schwartz said. "He's started a lot of football games, he's won a lot of football games, that shows through the most about him."

Only one quarterback under 6-foot-2 was drafted this year — Wisconsin's 5-foot-11 Russell Wilson went to Seattle in the third round — so the size issue is one Moore will have to face as he tries to forge a career in the NFL. And then there's the challenge of learning a new team's system with little time to waste.

"It's football, and there's a lot of different ways of running an offense," Moore said. "It's just a matter of getting out here, getting to understand the terminology, the way they do things."

If Moore does end up playing for the Lions, he may have a chance to toss a few more passes to Titus Young, one of his former college teammates. The Lions drafted the talkative Young in the second round last year, and he caught 48 passes as a rookie.

"I'm excited to see that kid again," Moore said. "He's a funny, funny guy. It's going to be a lot of fun to be around him again."

After Young's success last season, six more Boise State players were taken in the 2012 draft. Moore wasn't one of them, but the reputation he earned in college has followed him to Allen Park.

"Obviously he has (had) a lot of success — I think 50 wins in college. And those weren't 50 wins against inferior opponents, he's gone on the road and beaten some big-time teams," Schwartz said. "His talent was there and he's got a good resume. We think he'll fit in well with us."

Referees are easy to replace. Get retired refs, Pac-12 guys, UFL guys, etc.

I think I better send that much anticipated letter as getting involved in officiating the NFL would a dream/ excitingly challenging job. :thumbsu: I'll be pushing for the officiating gig with Lingerie Football in 2013 also. Got my contacts lined up. :)

Someone needs to tell GG that the minicamp is for acclimatisation not evaluation.

I also like how the quote ignores day 3 which saw an improvement, seriously, what do you expect, QB-C handoff will be brand new, Moore doesn't know if the receivers have the speed of Wallace, or the speed of Welker, it takes more than 2 days to get that chemistry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This off season is taking a very long time

This off season is taking a very long time

Roll on August! I am forced to revert to emulate ESPN and do my own off-season reports by Division....I am sure to update these based on commentary here. But as per form, I will start with the NFC East.

New York Giants NFL off-season ushers in MLB opening days, absurdly long NBA and NHL playoffs and the most predictable of all, another Osi Umenyiora contract dispute. It will sort itself out, for 12 months anyway. I guess the challenge for the Giants is they were a 9-7 team last regular season and their divisional rivals all appear, on paper, to have gotten better. Sure they peaked at the right time last year, but have they improved enough to keep tabs on the competition and even make the playoffs? Is Eli Manning truly elite? Personally, those last second passes he throws up when just about to get smashed that nearly always end up in the hands of one of is WRs look like flukes to me. Then again, who cares what I think, he has two rings now

Dallas Cowboys Last year the Cowboys stunk it up in the defensive backfield, in part for a lack of talent and in part due to the players having difficulty in grasping the over hyped Rob Ryan’s coverage schemes. So they have now upgraded the talent but kept the scheme in place. For Rob Ryan’s sake I hope that Clairborne really was tanking his wonderlic. As always the Cowboys will be pumped up all year in the media, regardless of actual performances, Romo will still make various media outlets’ “most underrated lists” but the fact is, if Bryant doesn’t go to the next level, this maybe the least talented offensive Cowboys team since Romo won the starting job.

Philadelphia Eagles Arguably, no team played better in the final month of the regular season than the Eagles. The Wide 9 will be in its second year of operation. But the knock on the defense was that the Eagles didn’t have the talent to manage the schemed holes down the middle of the field. They have addressed this by adding an array of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I hope it works because the holes are still going to be there. The real question is what sort of QB is Michael Vick going to be this year? Playing in or out of the pocket? Will his offense score more touchdowns playing in or out of the pocket? Will he have more concussions playing in or out of the pocket? It will soon be time for fantasy football buffs to start keeping tabs on who the Eagles name as their backup QB.

Washington Redskins Mike Shannahan finally gets to prove that he really is the quarterback guru and that John Elway was nothing more than the beneficiary. What the Redskins really need is a new coach with new ideas and a fresh outlook to go with their new QB. Unfortunately their owner is more a name recognition guy than a vision guy. I mean, Garcon and Morgan are OK but can they be to RGIII what Steve Smith was for Cam Newton? Having been overloaded with NFC East matchups on Australian TV in recent years I must admit I am looking forward to the first Vick v RGIII matchup. Then again that is provided 4th round draft pick Kick Cousins hasn’t won the starting job and Trent Edwards is starting for the Eagles.

As87iOOCAAAhD79.jpg

Ring's out.

AFC East

New England Patriots After coming so close with a super crappy defence and no wide receivers, the evil Empire has embarked on building Death Star 2.0 (in fact, based on their porous defence it actually looked like the Death Star in Return of the Jedi). They actually used their draft picks this year on players who should contribute on the defence from Day One and signed a handful of recognisable free agent wide receivers so technically they got better this off season. Tom Brady says he wants to play for another 10 years, that means there will be college chicks in Boston still swooning for him in a decade’s time that are still in primary school today.

New York Jets Tim Tebow, Rex Ryan and the centre of the media Universe, New York City. I’m screaming sensory overload already. I, for the life of me cannot work out what is the worse situation; Sanchez playing to form and everyone screaming for Tebow to start or for Sanchez to play to an elite level thus burying Tebow on the depth chart. Either way, ESPN First Take has been removed from my Foxtel IQ Planner.

Buffalo Bills If they gave out such awards, the Bills would receive a podium finish in the “Off Season That Most Gives Hope for The Fan Base” award. Two things are key 1) all these defensive pieces that they have assembled need to gel quickly and 2) Ryan Fitzpatrick has to take better care of the ball (that’s a nice way of me saying he isn’t very good). Honestly, I really am reaching for anything to say about the Bills mainly because if you asked the average man in the street to rank the 3 NFL teams that hail from the state of New York you’d probably have to prompt them for the 3rd team.

Miami Dolphins In all likelihood, the Dolphins may well win less games than they did last year. They have also finished on the wrong side of a couple of high profile FA ventures missing out on Manning and Flynn. Is Ryan Tannehill finally going to be the man that steps up to fill Marino’s shoes? Based on college production you wouldn’t think so. Reggie Bush wants to win the rushing title in 2012, given the state of the Phins QB situation and the trading of the team’s one true deep threat, he may just get the 650 carries it will take to do it.

Now that the 2012 season is just starting to get into stride (OK, there's a few weeks to go before things really start to heat up!) I just thought I'd put out the question of which team had the best off-season and why.

For my two cents worth I'd have to nominate the Bucs. They signed Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks in free-agency and drafted Mark Barron, Doug Martin and Lavonte David. You'd expect all of those players to be week 1 starters.

Obviously off-season moves don't necessarily translate into in-season success, but surely the Bucs have the roster to contend in 2012.

Looks a hell of a lot better than GBs ring from the previous SB

One of the classier championship rings I've seen.....not so much bling that the wearer takes paint off of parked cars whilst walking down the street.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back