2012 South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunstan is mini-draft eligible. Was born in January. I would expect a fair bit of interest in him. My money is on one of the WA teams going hard for Martin/Hogan, but he could easily be the other.

That was my arguement, he didn't think he was

Big Lover of him but i have known him since birth, but still anyone with the amount of committment to his football, hardness and skills will surely get drafted

Another good round of matches for some of my favourites...

- Daniel Williamson was back to his inside best. He finished with 10 clearances and 44 disposals - 36 of them being handballs. A strong game from him, and he is setting himself up well as one of SA's best inside midfielders.

- And I'm still very much on the Eddy O'Connor bandwagon. Played well through the midfield, providing attack going forward and finished with 22 disposals. Like I said in the OP, he is a nice size and at this stage I could see him going earlier than maybe expected.

- Oliver Johnson is setting himself up as the DreamTeam king of SA. So far this season has possession tallies of 44, 23 and 44. Hard to fault his kicking, tackling or clearance work.

- In terms of goal scorers, Michael McMahon kicked another 4, Jarrad Leinart got 5 more and the next big thing Mason Middleton finished with 3.

- Also in terms of next year, Luke Dunstan is staking his claim to be one of the first players picked. This week he finished with 50 disposals at 76% effectiveness, 14 marks, 4 tackles, 8 clearances, 3 Inside 50s, 5 Rebound 50s and 1 goal.

Have seen a bit of footage of McMahon and he can play I reckon.

Yeah, he is looking good.

Like a few of the SA kids he isn't KPP height, but there is seemingly an increasing demand in the AFL for those guys capable of playing as third talls/bigger midfielders. At 186cm, if he can keep pushing up the ground and win the ball while impacting the scoreboard as he is, then he could be a nice one to watch come draft day.

A couple of other posters have started threads on some of this years draft prospects, and since it is still early on in the season I figured one more thread on the topic wouldn't hurt. I wont pretend I've seen any of the interstate prospects, at least not enough to form any sort of real opinion on them - so I'll be sticking to South Australians....

Mate a really good list. Seen a few of them but will see more of them later in the year. Personally I think they are massive chances for the u18's this year and for me it will be interesting to see who Phillips slots in the midfield roles as he has an abundance of them. Hoping Irra tears it up (great story), Luccon is played more fwd which he should given Grundy will ruck. No love for Broomhead?

Tim Broomhead and McMahon would probably be #21 and #22, could easily have included them. As the season goes on, I'll probably add more players as they begin to step up. But someone else asked about Broomhead, and this is what I told him...

Yeah, Broomhead is the one that I think could get drafted too. I held off on him, because I wanted to see a little more. Just had this feeling that he could be one of those good U18s but not really translate it into the State circuit or AFL.

He is actually taller than I thought, I had it in my mind that he was mid 170s but he is 182cm. So that's a big plus. Ball winner, real threat on the scoreboard and a very good kick too. Also reasonably good overhead. He does have quite a good game.

At the moment he is playing Reserves for Port Adelaide, so I wont get to see all that much of him. The interesting thing will be whether he gets picked in the SA U18 squad, that will give a real picture of where the state coaches view him.

I'm still hesitant to view him as anything more than a rookie chance. But if keeps performing, he could easily force his way in.

It should be good to see how the SA U18 team lines up this year. As you said, there are plenty of midfield options - as well as some good athletic types around the 185-190cm mark.

Kaiden Brand - 195cm, 80kg

A ruckman from West Adelaide, I'm hoping Brand still has a bit of growing left to do just so there are no questions about what position he could play. Not that he couldn't develop into a KPP at either end of the ground, but he does some nice work playing through the middle. Might not be the most dominant ruckman going around, but it's his work after the bounce that arguably makes him stand out.

Spent the season playing in the SANFL U18s, and he averaged close to 18 touches a game and was one of his teams better contested ball winners. In one game, he had 36 disposals, 12 marks and 18 hitouts - not too shabby for a ruckman. His kicking could stand to improve and hopefully he either grows or works on his leap to ensure he can keep competing in the middle.

Quick update on one of the other players I wrote about...

Brand has played two games in the U18 this year. And it looks like West Adelaide are going the KPP route with him - probably a good move, will give him his best chances at getting drafted. He has played at both ends of the ground, before playing primarily in the forward line last week. Anyway, he has finished with 36 touches, 12 marks and 7 goals over those two weeks.

So good to see another tall standing up in the SANFL.

Tim Broomhead and McMahon would probably be #21 and #22, could easily have included them. As the season goes on, I'll probably add more players as they begin to step up. But someone else asked about Broomhead, and this is what I told him...

It should be good to see how the SA U18 team lines up this year. As you said, there are plenty of midfield options - as well as some good athletic types around the 185-190cm mark.

I would agree with you on Broomhead - I think he does a lot of things well.

re McMahon one of the issues which worries me about his type is how 'draftable' are they. I was very surprised Duffy and Hender didnt go last year. Both have started senior state league careers like they should have.

The South Australian Squad.

Club Name D.O.B. Height (cm) Weight (kg)
CDFC Sam Colquhoun 20 Dec 94 177 73
CDFC Troy Menzel 22 Sep 94 181 72
CDFC Travis Schiller 5 June 94 171 69
GFC Ethan Gill 31 Dec 94 194 95
GFC Billy Hayes 25 Feb 94 177 73
GFC Ben Kennedy 3 March 94 175 74
GFC Brodie Murdoch 21 Jan 94 190 80
GFC Tim O’Brien 28 Mar 94 190 76
GFC Matt Scharenberg 18 Sep 94 190 80
GFC Nathan Stark 19 Jul 94 178 71
GFC Sam Underwood 3 Oct 94 184 75
NAFC Nick Amato 15 Oct 94 177 70
NAFC Sam Mayes 20 May 94 186 76
NAFC Alex Spina 27 Jun 95 174 66
NFC James Aish 8 Nov 95 181 70
NFC Steven Baldasso 10 Oct 94 182 71
NFC Fred Beytell 24 Mar 94 182 82
NFC Chase Bower 22 Mar 94 189 81
NFC Tullio Dematteis 12 May 94 184 72
NFC Trent Dumont 30 Jun 95 180 76
NFC Aaron Luccon 21 Apr 94 197 90
NFC Matthew Wallis 16 Jan 94 192 82
PAFC Tim Broomhead 22 Mar 94 182 74
PAFC Sean Davidson 18 Jun 95 184 78
PAFC Luke Reynolds 9 Jan 95 196 80
SAFC Darcy Hourigan 18 Sep 95 188 90
SAFC Emmanuel Irra 25 Mar 94 177 73
SAFC Todd McKay 25 Jan 94 177 75
SFC Jake Atkinson 13 Sep 94 196 80
SFC Brodie Grundy 15 Apr 94 203.5 95
SFC Jarrad Lienert 5 August 94 190 75
SFC Harley Montgomery 20 Feb 94 177 68
SFC Dwayne Wilson 17 Jan 95 175 70
WAFC Kaiden Brand 8 Apr 94 195 75
WAFC Nathan Brown 19 Apr 94 167 68
WAFC Tom Carter 17 Aug 94 193 93
WAFC Oliver Johnson 29 Mar 94 180 68
WAFC Mason Middleton 26 Jul 94 190 95
WAFC Tom Schott 27 Apr 94 190 78
WWTFC Luke Dunstan 29 Jan 95 183 80
WWTFC Tasman Fitzgerald 17 Mar 94 194 88
WWTFC Matthew McDonough26 Jan 94 180 79
WWTFC Tim Sumner 9 Oct 94 188 78
WWTFC Jimmy Toumpas 2 Jan 94 183 75
WWTFC Thomas Whittlesea 28 Mar 94 192 80

Bit disappointed with some of the omissions. I'm a fan of Dan Williamson, Eddy O'Connor, Josh Archer and Michael McMahon. This wont change that fact, but it would have been nice to have seen them selected.

Williamson has had a decent start to the season. But I think it comes down to squad balance in a way. There are quite a few inside midfielders that he was competing with, and he is perhaps more limited in what other roles he can play. Western Australia have picked more along the lines of 'best players', whereas South Australia are perhaps looking more at the team as a whole. Also, Oliver Johnson has had an even better start to the season than Williamson, so he could have potentially taken that spot from him.

Archer and McMahon are more that almost undersized KPP, always hard to fit too many of them in. But Archer in particular, I thought would get selected. O'Connor was always going to be more wishful thinking, and is more that project type. Could end up being a nice late pick up.

Otherwise, I'm pleased with some of the other selections - Tim O'Brien for one. Good to see him getting more opportunities. Some of the other lesser known players such as Kaiden Brand, Jarrad Leinert, Ethan Gill and Tim Sumner are good selections too.

I'll have a proper look through the squad tomorrow.

Very strong squad at first glance....they will go very close to winning the champs if they all perform.

Really keen to see how Toumpas, Grundy, Menzel, Mayes, Kennedy, Murdoch, Scharenberg and Irra go.

Also of the younger crop WATCH OUT for Aish and Dunstan, especially the former. He is a talent that's for sure. Hourigan also goes alright. Just so many to list. Lots of depth. Big wraps of Middleton as well as a strong marking forward, can't wait to see him in the flesh. Johnson probably the biggest ball magnet in that squad given his current form this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very strong squad at first glance....they will go very close to winning the champs if they all perform.

Really keen to see how Toumpas, Grundy, Menzel, Mayes, Kennedy, Murdoch, Scharenberg and Irra go.

Also of the younger crop WATCH OUT for Aish and Dunstan, especially the former. He is a talent that's for sure. Hourigan also goes alright. Just so many to list. Lots of depth. Big wraps of Middleton as well as a strong marking forward, can't wait to see him in the flesh. Johnson probably the biggest ball magnet in that squad given his current form this year.

Injured groin, wasn't as bad as first suspected, thats the last i heard

We're definitely going to have one of the better midfields in the Championships. Will be a lot of competition for spots, also a nice combination of inside and outside players.

The KPPs will be the ones to watch, see who stands up at each end. I think the only one guaranteed selection would be Murdoch, so how they structure at either end will be interesting to watch.

hows the pace on that bunch chris??? any blistering runners? particularly midfielders?? ive seen that irra kid can cover ground quickly if you let him open his stride. toumpas has a little bit of that much talked about pendles ability to make time slow down. i dont know to that same level but i definately saw that from toumps last year.

i like that aish, dunstan, menzel and toumpas are all a good height. not too small or tall enough to be labeled inbetweeners.

Re: 2012 SA Draft Prospects

I'm trying not to overhype Mason Middleton too much. He hasn't played a lot in the SANFL yet, will need to wait to see how he goes against some better competition. He shouldn't be talked about as a first round prospect, unlike Shaw. Although I do like Middleton a lot already.

Maybe think of it in terms of West Coast. For example, Mason Shaw might be your Josh Kennedy while Mason Middleton might be your Jack Darling. Which would you rather?

I know us Fremantle fans say it every year, but at some stage we do need to start drafting some key forwards. Shaw will likely be out of our range, but Middleton probably wont be. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him, and then a taller/more athletic KPF to partner him up with - so essentially copying the Kennedy/Darling combination.

Thanks Chris25, yeah you'd have to think we'd go tall this year. Maybe we could trade for an experienced taller more athletic forward and then draft Middleton to compliment?

Just regarding Mason Middleton i watched pretty much all his games for barmera last year and man is he special Playing as a first ruck at 16 in the A's but the ruck is not just where he excels he has a massive leap and loves to take pack mark his skills below his knees are very exceptional this kid will be a star mark my words i watched a game he played when he was best on ground taking 20 marks for the day with 2 of them on peoples shoulders.
cant wait for the U18's carnival to start you will be suprised hes a young Adam goodes

Like the look of South's Darcy Hourigan. Was watching South's League team a few weeks ago and thought #43 moved well, took some nice grabs and kicked a couple of good goals. It was only afterwards that I learnt that's he's still only 16 and only today that he's not 17 until September. Surely he's more than 188cm? He looks pretty well built for 16.

If he can do those things at SANFL league level now against hardened bodies that's got to put him in very good stead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back