2012 South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Todd McKay was the other one I mentioned pre-season, with him it looks to be a simple case of others in similar roles playing better than him. .

Think Todd McKay is out with a knee injury, hasn't played for a few weeks now and on South's injury list he has 6 weeks to go - a shame.

Geez I have been hearing a lot about Mason Middleton on Bigfooty, on individual team boards as well as on here. Surprised to see him miss then for those reasons. Will be interesting to see which way he goes now.

There is a clear gap between the top 12 in this squad and the rest. Drops away pretty quickly.

Perhaps. But how is that different to any other year?

Last year, only 11 players from SA were drafted in the National Draft, with a further 8 in the Rookie Draft. And quite a few of them were mature aged players. It's not like we consistently get 20+ players drafted.

In every team, there is a drop off in talent between the top level guys and the rest. But personally, I think we have a clear top 5 or so in this year's draft class (Grundy, Toumpas, Menzel, Mayes, Irra, Kennedy) and then the next 10-15 guys are quite even. I assume guys like Matt McDonough, Tim Sumner, Tulio DeMatteis, Harley Montgomery, Oliver Johnson and Brodie Murdoch wouldn't be in your top 12 but I see them as being real shots. And that doesn't include any of the KPP/ruck options either, and there are a few of them.

An impressive Championships can go a long way to changing opinions.

Since port will finish around 12-16
Port should get either Jimmy Toumpas or Ben Kennedy
Port really need a crumbing forward and I think Ben Kennedy could be that man
If we can't get him then Toumpas could be another great option
If Port get one of these SA kids I would be happy :D

No. Genuine Mids only thanks

Wait until Ben slides to our second pick thanks.

I agree that Kennedy shouldn't have to wait too long. The key will be how he goes through the midfield for SA, probably needs to average close to 20 touches a game but also get on the scoreboard each game too. He has the talent to do that though.

As for Luccon being a slider, I'd only have him as a late round chance at this stage. So dropping any further could see him miss out entirely.

I agree that Kennedy shouldn't have to wait too long. The key will be how he goes through the midfield for SA, probably needs to average close to 20 touches a game but also get on the scoreboard each game too. He has the talent to do that though.

As for Luccon being a slider, I'd only have him as a late round chance at this stage. So dropping any further could see him miss out entirely.

I have Luccon in my group of 10-47 at the moment

Exactly if Kennedy doesn't get his runs on the board with SA this season in the middle or with Glenelg i'll highly doubt that he will go top ten, he would have to be an absolute elite FP to go that early as a FP

I have Luccon in my group of 10-47 at the moment

Exactly if Kennedy doesn't get his runs on the board with SA this season in the middle or with Glenelg i'll highly doubt that he will go top ten, he would have to be an absolute elite FP to go that early as a FP

He does spend a fair bit of time in the midfield. Probably a more skillful player than toumpas to be honest. Injured at the moment I believe though

He does spend a fair bit of time in the midfield. Probably a more skillful player than toumpas to be honest. Injured at the moment I believe though

Toumpas is taller though, has performed in SANFL league finals and has more flair. Even if his skills are slightly worse i garantee you that he will go higher than Kennedy

Toumpas is taller though, has performed in SANFL league finals and has more flair. Even if his skills are slightly worse i garantee you that he will go higher than Kennedy

No doubt Toumpas will go higher. That's why I think Kennedy looms as a steal if he goes as a late first rounder. Height can be overrated

Kennedy got 23 touches and 4 goals in his league debut for glenelg, so is also proven at that level. Hopefully he continues to improve. Crows were quite close to picking him ahead of crouch with their pick in the mini draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen anything of Luccon this year but he was definately on my watch list from last year. I think he has the tools to be a nice KPD at AFL level. He is certainly one I will be watching closely this year and atm would love the Lions to pick him up with a late rounder.

JUST 24 hours after Geelong's Daniel Menzel tore his ACL in his return from a serious injury in the VFL, younger brother Troy shone with nine goals for South Australia at under-18 level.

Like his brother, Troy is an exciting prospect who is elusive in the forward line but also has the ability to push through the midfield at certain stages.

He has played a number of games at senior SANFL level for Central District this season and has held his own.

Highly rated draft prospects Ben Kennedy (37 touches and four goals), Jimmy Toumpas (34) and Brody Grundy (20 possessions, 26 hit-outs and three goals) were all outstanding.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/137648/default.aspx

I think that Daniel doing his ACL again will have his an impact on Troy's draft position.

correct. Apparently he has a s**t attitude and has sooked to the crows about them taking crouch ahead of him last year
Are you getting that from our board because that's not what he said. He didn't go into details why he won't be at our club and said it wasn't because of the reason you stated

yes. Troys already had 1

I think it will make him slide (out of the top ten, I'd have him in it otherwise) but he'll definitely still get picked up, too much talent not to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back