2013 IAAF World Championships in Moscow

Remove this Banner Ad

The athletics world champs start today in Moscow. Probably a sign of the times but for the first probably since 1991 in Tokyo ( a time zone thing) there is no live coverage in Oz. SBS 2 has an hour highlights every night. At least in Tokyo the highlights package was delayed by about 2 hours this will be 12 to 15 hour delay. The women's marathon and men's 10,000m are the only finals on overnight.

SBS2_Broadcast_Guide_600_w500_h500.jpg

Athletics Australia link which has a schedule converter to EST

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/competition/moscow13

and some earlier lead in stories at
http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/newsletter/2013/august/iaaf_world_championships_set_t

official website
http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships

and if tou go to bottom and click on quick links yo will see the IAAF STATISTICS BOOK - MOSCOW 2013 link where you can download the 800 page book.

Disappointing that there's no live coverage.

Has been a tough time for the Aths worl with the whole doping stuff going on, but hopefully there is a few great performances at these world champs that puts a better light on the sport.

Personally, really looking forward to the men's 400m. Kirani James is the only person to have run a sub-44 time in the summer season, but Merritt has run some really good races as well. James and Merritt hold the 10 quickest times in 2013 between them (5 each). Should be a good match up. Hoping for a Kirani Janes win.

For Australia, it looks like it could be a pretty dim champions as far high results go. Only real convincing shots at medals are Pearson and Talent. Mitchell Watt is missing through injury, Steve Solomon has battled with a back injury which meant he couldn't qualify, Hooker isn't there. Could be a tough championship, but hopefully we will see some good results from some of the others with the bigger names either not there or under performing.

Yeah too many injuries to get more than 2 medals and to get AA's usually goal of 10+ top 8 finishes.

Dani Samuels threw 64.xm in March. If she pulls that out she will be pushing top 5

Dani Samuels threw the 7th furthest of 12 qualifiers with a 62.85m. All her 3 throws were 62 metres with the auto qualifier 63m. 6 woman threw an auto qualifier.

Alexander Rowe ran a 1.47 rath 4th in his heat of 6. Top 3 in each heat = 18 + 6 fastest go thru to semis. Rowe went thru as the fastest non auto qualifier. Tomorrow night there will be 3 semis ie first 2 in each plus fastest 2 others.

Listened to a bit IAAF radio but they were rambling on about 100m and not woman's marathan.

Watching woman'smarathon live on
http://www.viplivebox.eu/others/169...ld-championships-2013-live-stream-online.html

There are different links with different software needs at
http://www.viplivebox.eu/sports/others.html

Eurosport News ( foxtel ch 514 ) will have highlights and hour or two after heats/semis and finals.

Wallaby are you taking an interest in the world champs??

Jessica Trengove ( Jack's sister) ran 11th in the marathon. She ran a 2.37. If she ran a 2.31 which she ran in London to get 39th, she would have got 4th or 5th. But it was run at te stupid time of 2pm Moscow time and it was 28 degrees.

Shelley and Chappele finished in the 40's and Fardell didn't finish.

Apparently one of the athletes in the Women's discus was doing a few warm-up swings (discus in hand)and got a bit close to a fellow competitor. Whoops!

Ukraines-Natalia-Semenova-008.jpg

Broken nose, stitches. Still competed (well, it is the WC).

I think Fabrice LaPierre could do OK for Australia in the Long Jump. He's getting back to what he can do, and he's got a lot of natural ability. Pearson has a had a bad season injury-wise - if she can get it together, she can win of course, but it seems unlikely. Her chance is probably that she will hit her one and only peak for this event, while it's been a long season for the Americans.

And everyone is looking out for Bondarenko in the High Jump. He had a try at Sotomayor's WR a couple weeks ago. The event depth is pretty good, as well.

Bolt wins 100m with rain falling and wet track in 9.77. Gatlin was in front until about 70m ran 2nd with 9.85. Nestor Carter of Jamaica gets bronze in 9.85. First 5 under 10:00 seconds. Jamaicans Bailey-Cole and Ashmeade ran 9.98.

Jamaica will be odds on favourite to win 4x100m relay. Just don't stuff up the baton change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kirani James 7th in 400m final :eek:

yeah saw the run on Eurosport News and he looked sluggish. He ran 45 seconds.

Today is a bizzare day, only a morning session with the men's 50km walk and a 2 field and 2 track qualifying heats events.

As I post, 15 minutes ago, the walkers went thru the 10km with Tallent and 2 Russians in a lead group, 4th is 16 seconds behind and 11 others 27 seconds behind the leader.

First year I can remember that the WC haven't been covered live. Thought it would at least be on Eurosport o_O
Prob not as much interest as it is the year after an olympic year

First year I can remember that the WC haven't been covered live. Thought it would at least be on Eurosport o_O
Prob not as much interest as it is the year after an olympic year

Because SBS have the rights for Oz, Eurosports are banned from broadcasting them in Oz.

I wrote the following before but must have forgot to post it it seems.

1983 Helsinki and 1987 Rome Ch 7 showed it live maybe up to 2am was up late but didn't have night finals. Ch 7 send a crew.

1991 Tokyo - night finals in our time zone so Ch 7 had highlights packages around midnight and live on weekend. Bruce and crew go over.

1993 Stuttgart + 1995 Gothenburg + 1997 Athens + 1999 Seville - live on ch 7 once again remember staying up or getting up at 3-4am to watch finals. Ch 7 saw this as an important part of their Olympic coverage and especially after Sydney won 2000 hosting rights after the 1993 world champs. Bruce and a crew and Deak, Raylene Boyle, Peter Norman and others go for expert commentary.

2001 Edmonton - Ch 7 dump world champs and SBS take them. Finals are between 10am and 2pm EST. SBS send Les and experts and a crew.

2003 Paris + 2005 Helsinki - SBS cover it and finals are on live in the middle of the night. SBS send Les and experts and a crew.

2007 Osaka - In our time zone and SBS give a big live coverage because of the prime time zone benefit. Our dopey athletes don't perform in the rare chance they get to perform live in a decent prime time TV zone. I bagged them big time on big footy for seemingly being half hearted and talking about another chance at the 2008 Olympics.. SBS send Les and experts and a crew.

2009 Berlin SBS live coverage on both SBS and SBS2. SBS send Dave Basheer and experts and a crew. Mixed in our TDF coverage.

2011 Daegu South Korea - Once again in our time zone but SBS cut back and don't send a team except for Emma Simpkin in the mix zone and take IAAF feed and have experts in studio ie Jane Flemming and Dave Culbert and host Dave Basheer in studio in Sydney. Mainly on SBS2.

2013 Moscow - SBS take IAAF feed and package. Only highlights up to 14 hours delayed. No experts in studio in Oz, no explanation, no Aussies highlighted interviewed etc. Only on SBS2.

Last night Zoe Buckman won her semi of 1,500m and was faster than the winner of the other semi.

Jarrad Tallent at about 6:15 EST won a bronze in the 50m walk. He did a season best. He was just over 2 minutes behind the gold winner and just over a minute behind silver.

Buckman's run will be in SBS highlights tonight at 7-45pm EST/7-15pm CST/5-45pm WST. hopefully they will put some of Tallent's walk highlights.

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/news/2013/august/moscow2013_buckman_creates_h

#MOSCOW2013: Buckman creates history in 1500m

Australia will field its first ever women’s 1500m finalist at the IAAF World Championships after Zoe Buckman(ACT) smashed her personal best to win her semi-final in Moscow tonight.

Courageously holding her position in a rough penultimate round, Buckman sat confidently just off the rail for much of the race. Taking her opportunity to move inside Genzebe Dibaba (ETH) coming into the straight, the 24-year-old surged forward to take a narrow lead and cross victorious in a time of 4:04.82.

“I want to try and enjoy this a bit before getting fired up for the final,” Buckman said.

“I wanted to try and run the way that I had in the heat, but this time I didn’t just want to wait for a gap I decided to run a bit wider and keep some more space open so that when I had a chance I could push. I have to say that I was a little more tense in that race than I was in the heat because it means so much to me to make the final.

“I got knocked a round a bit, but I was determined to stay where I was and if I got through keep running. I didn’t want to hang on for fourth place so I am really happy. I leave this championships with a new personal best and a spot in the final already so that’s fantastic, but I am starting to believe that I can win a medal.”

Buckman’s stunning run follows her win in the heat in a time of 4:06.99 this past Sunday and caps off a big month that has seen the London Olympian show a dramatic improvement in her ability to tactically read a race.

Her place in the final eclipses the 17th place overall best performance previously shared by Margaret Cowley and Lisa Corrigan. If Buckman places in the top-eight, she will become the first Australian woman to do so at either an Olympic Games or IAAF World Championships since Crowley placed 5th in Atlanta (USA) in 1996.

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/news/2013/august/moscow2013_buckman_creates_h

Other Oz results last night/early this morning

Buckman was joined in-stadium tonight by Julian Wruck (Qld), who finished 11th in the men’s discus final, and Lauren Boden (ACT) and Tristan Thomas (Tas) in the women’s and men’s 400m hurdles semi-finals.

The youngest ever male to advance to the round-of-12 at the championships, Wruck was ranked 11th coming into the final and was unable to improve on it. Opening his account with 60.91m, the national champion improved to 61.80m on his second attempt before closing out his IAAF World Championships campaign with a throw of 62.40m.

Unable to progress to the final this time around, Boden placed 7th in her semi-final of the women’s 400m hurdles in a time of 55.75.

Improving on her performance from the 2012 London Olympic Games to place in the top-16, Boden feels that she is continually on the improve and she is content to finish the 2013 season with a new personal best from last month and her best ever performance at an IAAF World Championships.

Thomas also placed 7th in his men’s 400m hurdles semi-final and was unable to advance. His time of 49.91 is his third fastest this year, and he placed 18th overall.

“I had a go today. I did a lot of things right, it’s just you can’t do anything wrong at this level,” Thomas said.

Because SBS have the rights for Oz, Eurosports are banned from broadcasting them in Oz.

I wrote the following before but must have forgot to post it it seems.

1983 Helsinki and 1987 Rome Ch 7 showed it live maybe up to 2am was up late but didn't have night finals. Ch 7 send a crew.

1991 Tokyo - night finals in our time zone so Ch 7 had highlights packages around midnight and live on weekend. Bruce and crew go over.

1993 Stuttgart + 1995 Gothenburg + 1997 Athens + 1999 Seville - live on ch 7 once again remember staying up or getting up at 3-4am to watch finals. Ch 7 saw this as an important part of their Olympic coverage and especially after Sydney won 2000 hosting rights after the 1993 world champs. Bruce and a crew and Deak, Raylene Boyle, Peter Norman and others go for expert commentary.

2001 Edmonton - Ch 7 dump world champs and SBS take them. Finals are between 10am and 2pm EST. SBS send Les and experts and a crew.

2003 Paris + 2005 Helsinki - SBS cover it and finals are on live in the middle of the night. SBS send Les and experts and a crew.

2007 Osaka - In our time zone and SBS give a big live coverage because of the prime time zone benefit. Our dopey athletes don't perform in the rare chance they get to perform live in a decent prime time TV zone. I bagged them big time on big footy for seemingly being half hearted and talking about another chance at the 2008 Olympics.. SBS send Les and experts and a crew.

2009 Berlin SBS live coverage on both SBS and SBS2. SBS send Dave Basheer and experts and a crew. Mixed in our TDF coverage.

2011 Daegu South Korea - Once again in our time zone but SBS cut back and don't send a team except for Emma Simpkin in the mix zone and take IAAF feed and have experts in studio ie Jane Flemming and Dave Culbert and host Dave Basheer in studio in Sydney. Mainly on SBS2.

2013 Moscow - SBS take IAAF feed and package. Only highlights up to 14 hours delayed. No experts in studio in Oz, no explanation, no Aussies highlighted interviewed etc. Only on SBS2.

Cheers for the rundown. Its just complete horseshit for fans of sport that FTA stations buy the rights to events and basically give us nothing. If it doesn't suit our timezone ratings wise then piss off and give fox the opportunity to broadcast the event live and in full. A 1 hour HL package from 7 hours of programming a day just doesn't cut it. sorry. I'm just lucky that I have access to a private tracker that broadcast entire days and allows me to watch the entire day and evening program. Even though I have to download, I still get to watch it before it goes to air on SBS. Pretty piss poor if ask me

Rant over.

Apparently they are showing some finals tonight, mainly because of Tallent's medal ceremony and Buckman being in the 1500 final. I'm sick of the BBC broadcast where we only see British field athletes and a couple of the big guns and the track program.

Apparently they are showing some finals tonight, mainly because of Tallent's medal ceremony and Buckman being in the 1500 final. I'm sick of the BBC broadcast where we only see British field athletes and a couple of the big guns and the track program.

Do you mean in the highlights package at 7-45pm EST? The 50km Walk will be in that .

Or do you mean they will take the evening session and show Tallent's bronze medal ceremony and stay with the coverage for some finals?

Buckman's final is on at 3-20am EST (Friday morning). Are you saying SBS2 are going to take that live??

Do you mean in the highlights package at 7-45pm EST? The 50km Walk will be in that .

Or do you mean they will take the evening session and show Tallent's bronze medal ceremony and stay with the coverage for some finals?

Buckman's final is on at 3-20am EST (Friday morning). Are you saying SBS2 are going to take that live??

Yep SBS is showing Buckmans race live on SBS ONE. They're also showing Sally Pearson in the her Semi & (hopefully) Finals love on Sunday.

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/news/2013/august/live_coverage_of_world_champio

Ok just checked electronic program guide

From 2-40am EST / 2-10am CST / 12-40am WST
SBS 1 will have for an hour so we will get

50km walk medal ceremony

400m hurdles men + women finals + 1,500m womens final.

If we are lucky they might package up 3,000m Steeplechase final - starts at 2-20 am EST and the men's high jump and woman's triple jump might be ending as they start broadcast.

I want to see Kenyan Ezeikel Kemboi win and do what he did in the 2011 World champs and 2012 London Olympics, win by sprinting down the home straight, drift across and end up in lane 8 or 9 and do his little victory dance.

He has an amazing record in the steeplechase.

World Champs
2003 Paris - Silver as a 21 year old
2005 Helsinki - Silver
2007 Osaka - Silver
2009 Berlin - Gold
2011 Daegu - Gold

Olympics
2004 Athens - Gold
2008 Beijing - 7th
2012 London - Gold

2011 Daegu win

2012 London win