2013 PSD and Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Garlett must have some serious issues. Im thinkin is just an absolute toss bag, that would be a pain to have around. Which is why noobe wanted him. If this is the case then im glad we passed

Garlett must have some serious issues. Im thinkin is just an absolute toss bag, that would be a pain to have around. Which is why noobe wanted him. If this is the case then im glad we passed

Booted out of the academy
Multiple club suspensions
Posts pictures of himself drunk/smoking/high/getting laid
Comes back from trying out with the Bombers and goes on a bender

These aren't the actions of someone who wants to succeed at the highest level, hopefully he grows out of it because right now he's a complete waste of talent

This time last year Waylon Manson was all the rage and was also overlooked

But I guess in Manson's case drafters must have been fearing for Waylon's possible culture shock/adjustment to the AFL system

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...ch-modern-afl-must-engage-20120323-1vphu.html
''Teenage Aboriginal males are required to participate in solemn initiation ceremonies, called 'law business', which if successfully completed, is the pathway to manhood in Kukatja culture. Teenagers who do not complete law business are considered to be 'boys' rather than men and are thereafter shunned and ridiculed in their community. Traditional punishment, or payback as it is sometimes known, remains an important feature of Kukatja culture. Wrongdoers may be speared in the leg with a hunting spear for an infraction of cultural laws.''

Collins said he didn't know Waylon Manson, ''but I reckon I can predict that Waylon is an initiated Kukatja man who speaks English as his second language … he will probably have not been educated beyond above year 10 level if he is lucky. He is likely to be functionally illiterate and innumerate. He is unlikely to have ever worked in paid employment. He will have to adhere to all of the Kukatja cultural obligations. He is likely to be acutely shy and reserved and will not make eye contact (as is the cultural norm in his community), especially in the presence of non-Aboriginal authority figures.​
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...ch-modern-afl-must-engage-20120323-1vphu.html

Just a thought on the somewhat surprising overlooking of Raikawasa. Maybe the club doesn't think that there's much point in having Raikawasa and Blee on the same list at the same time, and they're giving Blee until the end of his contract to prove his worth before making the decision on whether to move him on for Raikawasa?

Even if true, I can't see Raikawasa getting onto our senior list. He'll be a rookie prospect as best unless he has a massive season in 2013.

recruiting stevenson, heath and hoskin gives us depth in a position hamish was playing last year. so it allows him to move into a midfield position on a permanent basis... HAMISH = 3 midfielders

Even if true, I can't see Raikawasa getting onto our senior list. He'll be a rookie prospect as best unless he has a massive season in 2013.

I agree, but if we could somehow swap Blee for him right now without contracts coming into it, I would.

I'm not quite sure where the knock on Blee comes from. I reckon he's done some useful things in the gametime he's had for us. He was taken to the cleaners in a half by Darling, but otherwise he's been ok IMO.

Definitely think he's behind Hombsch and Jonas for the other two tallish defender spots after Trengove and Carlile.

Take out the 'full back of the year' bit and you could say all of that about Raikawasa.

Full back of the year vs a competent back line player. Is that what you mean?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full back of the year in the WAFL and good backline player in the SANFL aren't too far away from each other. I know a couple of North supporters, they were both whingeing about Port playing Blee in defence because he was playing like crap as a defender at SANFL level.

What like Scarlett/Glass/McPharlin is full back of the year and Rance is a good backline player type distance?

I don't know the distance because i did see Blee play at WFL level, but Raikawasa never threaten to make the state team or team of the year in 2011 or 2012.

I don't know what the North supporters are on about. He played the first 18 weeks for north and the last 4 for port.

Raikiwasa played all of his 15 league games this year. At the time Blee was drafted Raiki was an undersized U18 full back. You can't compare them at the same point in time. You might say Raikiwasa is getting closer now to where Blee was last year (still not there as REH says), but we drafted Blee last year where he filled a need as a mature age defender.

Hoskin has had a couple of goes at it and broke through, could be Raiki's turn next year.

I really need to start double checking player ages. I thought Raikawasa was 21.

He only turned 19 this year. DOB is 18 April 1993.

Raikiwasa played all of his 15 league games this year. At the time Blee was drafted Raiki was an undersized U18 full back. You can't compare them at the same point in time. You might say Raikiwasa is getting closer now to where Blee was last year (still not there as REH says), but we drafted Blee last year where he filled a need as a mature age defender.

Hoskin has had a couple of goes at it and broke through, could be Raiki's turn next year.

I knew there was an age difference but I couldn't be stuffed looking it up. Dinner was calling. Thanks for the clarification.

Didn't Blee get glandular fever at the start of the year? Like Jacobs did the year before.
We have had so many draftees come down with glandular fever as soon as they get here that it must be time to change the agency that supplies the welcome girls.

hula-dancers.jpg

Blee had glandular fever before he was drafted.

Blee happy waiting for his chance at big time

CRAIG O'DONOGHUE, The West AustralianOctober 6, 2011,

East Perth defender Nathan Blee will be unavailable to clubs during next week's trade period despite being one of only four mature-aged players invited to this week's AFL draft combine in Victoria.
Greater Western Sydney can pre-list or trade up to 10 players who have previously nominated for a draft or been on an AFL list. Collingwood and Fremantle were among the clubs to utilise that rule last year when they traded with the Gold Coast to recruit Andrew Krakouer and Tendai Mzungu.
But Blee, who made his league debut this year and turned 21 last month, didn't nominate for the draft as a teenager, so he must wait until next month's national draft.
"I've never thought about getting drafted before," Blee said. "I didn't even think I was good enough to play. But this year I got an opportunity to play league, I was fit and didn't have any injuries."
The 191cm Blee is recovering from glandular fever, so isn't allowed to do the physical tests at the draft combine.
He could only watch yesterday as another mature-aged player, Northern Bullants small forward Ahmed Saad, finished second to Claremont's Shannon Taylor in the 20m sprint test................
Blee, who was named at full-back in _The West Australian's _WAFL Team of the Year, is hoping to follow in the footsteps of other mature-aged players from recent years.
Blee said he was relaxed after having experienced more in life than potential teenage draftees.
Blee happy waiting for his chance at big time

Cripes!!
First we made sure the got glandular fever as soon as they got here and then we progressed to recruiting players that have GF.
Our recruiting/player development strategy sucked big time. That is what happens when you decrease off field spending.
:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back