2013 PSD and Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair call, this off-season has been success and there's no question that his involvement with the JMac tragedy was brilliant. I'm not one who usually hangs s**t on Rhode and uses him as a scapegoat for our poor performances of late, in fact I've posted in the past on how I'm warming to him and how he's a nice guy, my post was just a light hearted joke.

I'm sure it was but just for once it would be good to simply enjoy the warm glow of what has been a largely successful off-season (JMac caveat applied :() without unnecessary finger pointing.

It's not just about Rohde, it's the finger-pointing exercises that have already started because we didn't draft a player who every club saw enough limitations in to overlook.

I'm not blaming anybody, I'm just saying we shouldn't give him credit for something that (from our limited understanding of what he actually does) wasn't really his role. Besides, Cripps cops nearly as much s**t as Rohde does.

From what I understand, Rohde deals with trade negotiations and with contract negotiations/list management for players who are already on our list.

Dealing with the JMac tragedy = :thumbsu: for Rohde.
Re-signing Boak and the rest, getting Monfries for a third rounder = :thumbsu: for Rohde.
Giving West Coast and Sydney nothing picks for Stevenson and Heath = :thumbsu: for Cripps, Rohde just did what anybody would've done once the players were identified.
Losing Pearce, Chaplin and Jacobs when the club wanted to keep them: Not ideal, but who knows whether Rohde could've done anything to keep them or if they were lost causes.
Delistings: Surjan/Banner/Rodan > Logan/D. Stew/Brettbert. :thumbsdown: for Rohde.

Off-season summary:
Cripps: :thumbsu:, Rohde: Meh. Some good, some bad.

You're right, Cripps deserves credit too and he is another who gets pilloried no matter what.

It's fine to be analytical about who has done what well now, but too often on this board Rohde gets a hammering over everything especially in the heat of the moment, that's my objection. EC says he was only kidding about the drafting comment, fair enough, but it doesn't take much to start the wolves howling.

I think you're underselling getting Stevenson and Heath for basically nothing. Both were rated within their organisations and while West Coast and Sydney came to the party, the deals still had to be done.

Getting Hombsch and Neade for pick 29 was probably one of the deals of the trade period. Largely unrecognised by either our crowstruck media or the interstate media who don't know and don't care, these two could be great pick ups for Port. And just maybe leveraging a KPD out of GWS helped Ollie Wines fall to Port.

Also you can't say Cripps is responsible for list management on one hand and then lay the delistings vs retainings at Rohde's feet. And there is more to delistings vs retainings than just football talent. This isn't Playstation Footy ... you have to take into account personalities, character, what guys bring to the club and what negative influences they may have, Hinkley is bringing a new character or culture to Port (or as I like to think an old one) and just maybe some players delisted didn't fit the Hinkley/Port Adelaide philosophy.

To dismiss Rohde's off-season contribution as 'meh' is neither appropriate nor fair ... IMHO ;).

Doesn't Cripps have more of a scouting role? I thought Cripps is in charge of looking for new players while Rohde is in charge of keeping our current players.

The way the role was described in the media was more about assessing other team's lists but list management to me - taken in the whole context - implies he works with the football operations team to decide the balance of our list. I would expect that the footy ops people between them decide who should go and who should stay and how we need to balance our list in terms of talls, small, rucks, mids, flankers etc.

In the end I don't know that Rohde can be charged with the responsibility of deciding which players are allowed to stay and which are dismissed. Rohde's role in list management is probably that he has a say in the machinery of football operations decisions and he's the lucky guy who gets to deliver the good and bad news.

Just back on the point of Rohde's role in signing players, yes Cripps would identify them but Rohde would do the actual signing, again in concert with footy ops people (including the coach) to sell the vision of the club and that player's role in the vision.

That Rohde managed to delist the guys he was told to delist and sign the ones he was told to sign is probably a :thumbsu: ...

Or they were distracted and didn't realize he was still avail. Probably gas bagging to Parker and co..

Rohde went to the loo halfway through the draft and tripped over the Dogs' ethernet cable. They didn't know anyone had been drafted after pick 50. :p

Getting Hombsch and Neade for pick 29 was probably one of the deals of the trade period. Largely unrecognised by either our crowstruck media or the interstate media who don't know and don't care, these two could be great pick ups for Port. And just maybe leveraging a KPD out of GWS helped Ollie Wines fall to Port.

Just on this, I'm reminded of a minor Sydney/Hawthorn trade a while ago that netted the Swans a relatively benign player with some potential (Kennedy). Another example of an excellent trade that got little fanfare. The media are useless unless it's a trade for a big name player.

I would like to know what has got into Peter Rohde, over the last 24-30 months he is a changed man. All of a sudden the "Dohh, Rohde what are you doing?" and the retention of players under his management has been sensational! Look's like he has finally turned his life around, dropped the Norwood way and embraced his new geographical location!

Deep down EVERYONE was born to be a Port Adelaide person!

I wouldn't put garlett in the too hard basket, get him out of wa, give him a strong mentor who can show him the right way and we may see a big change in him.

A kid with that much talent is worth taking the punt on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't put garlett in the too hard basket, get him out of wa, give him a strong mentor who can show him the right way and we may see a big change in him.

Adelaide and Carlton thought the same with angwin!

Maybe the club are a bit put off after the Krakouer fiasco?

Garlett is worth a rookie spot IMO.

If he is a failure we haven't lost too much. Though if he works out then goes off the rails in a few years, the damage might be bad.... hmm

Is this the same Garlett that fell through a roof whilst trying to evade the police?

If so, he clearly has good leg speed, endurance and a decent leap

Dont worry people port would of had a list of kids if available at 80 odd they would have taken. What they would not have been following was the other kids in the draft and thus why they would have assumed he would have gone rather than being preparred to pick him if he was available.

I go back to what I posted in late October in the 2012 post season retirements and delistings list changes thread.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...t-changes-thread.974338/page-26#post-26255832

4 KPF's, 4 KPD's and 4 rucks should be a minimum of in a squad of 40. That way you don't have to worry about in between talls. Injuries happen and if Carlile and Trengove go down at the same time and you only have Hombsch as the KPD and we play a side that will play 3 or 4 guys over 195cm in their forward line we will be stuffed.

We have

KPF's - Schulz, Butcher, Shaw
KPD's - Carlile, Trengove, Hombsch, Clurey
Rucks - Redden, Lobbe, Renouf

In between tall forwards/ruck - Daniel Stewart, Westhoff

In between tall defenders - O'Shea, Heath, Salter, Jonas, Blee

So given a KPF in the PSD or rookie draft isn't likely to be much chop, and I don't have much time for D. Stewart as either a KPF or a ruckman, I want us to go find the best mature aged ruckman in the state leagues in the 25-28 age group and draft him either with our PSD pick or with one of the 2 rookie spots we have ( to go with Danny Butcher and Pfeiffer).

Why do people go on about Jolly?? What talent does he have that he has demonstrated on the big stage given he had 2 years on an AFL list?

Renouf has a history of knee injuries. Lobbe has a history of injuries. If they both go down we could be stuffed. Trengove has to stay at CHB.

Do you take out health insurance - extras covers or the bare minimum. Do you take out building and/or contents insurance? Do you take out car insurance - the non compulsory bit? If so, why?

I want to take out insurance. Happy to have the insurance sit on the rookie list.

Jurrah gets a rookie spot at best after he has done several weeks training.

Reckon you'll have a crack at a convict.

Jurrah might be a convict in March but the drafts are in December. Or do you mean an Andrew Krakouer type who has got a conviction? Jason Gram?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back