List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As my posts would suggest, I'm working my way through some of the draftee highlight clips and just watched Viojo-Rainbow's video. Very impressive, particularly when you consider some of the phantoms have him going around pick 50, or in the case of Paige Cardona, at 35. If he was still there at 36, he'd be a great pick up imo. Good decision maker, neat skills and doesn't mind taking the game on. Reminds me of a cross between Wellsy (without the pace) and Jmac.

Here's what Paige says about him:

Pick 35: Adelaide – Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Position: Defender/midfielder
Height: 185 cm, Weight: 80 kg, DOB: 08/02/1996
Club: Western Jets
Projected draft range: 25-40
Plays like: Shannon Hurn

A penetrating and attacking rebounding defender, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow has a number of tools and traits that could see him develop into a 200-game player. He has a thumping yet accurate left foot that’s drawn comparisons to Shannon Hurn, along with the way he attacks the ball and likes to get up the ground. He hits the ball hard, flat and over long distances, while his intercept marking is also a stength. On top of that, he has deft touch at ground level and makes good decisions with the ball. He can be relied upon to take kick ins, and is often the Western Jets’ link-up player in defence, getting involved heavily in scoring chains. Being named in the bests in eight of a possible 10 games, Viojo-Rainbow has been used predominantly off half back but looks as though he could mould into a wingman with further development. In the TAC Cup, he’s been played in a number of varying roles: it’s that particular versatility that’ll be looked upon favourably in November. Of his strengths, Viojo-Rainbow’s run and carry, ability to read the ball in flight and his disposal by foot are the hallmarks of his game. He currently averages 16 disposals and five marks per game.
Agree with you Dillon Viojo-Rainbow is class.
I'd take him at pick 25 if available, could even slide to our pick 36

If we miss him at 16 he will definitely be gone by 25. Essendon have pick 17 and 20, St Kilda have picks 21 and 22 and then Carlton have pick 19. Only these 3 clubs imo will take him although Freo might possibly have a crack at pick 13.

Just watched the Big Lads highlights reel. Good hands,jump and most importantly for a KF reads the ball well in the air. Midfielders are easy to come by but 197cm 100kg KPF. I think the Bulldogs just spent 7 mill on one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been looking at the collection of highlights. Unless one of Weller, Laverde, or Pickett somehow slip to 16, the Big Mac and the Cocky would be ideal first picks for our needs. And if we could get the both of them at 16 and 25, hmmmm noice. Goddard, Menadue, Duggan, and the Rainbow would all be solid picks too. We should still get quality at 36 looking at the pool of prospects.

Been looking at the collection of highlights. Unless one of Weller, Laverde, or Pickett somehow slip to 16, the Big Mac and the Cocky would be ideal first picks for our needs. And if we could get the both of them at 16 and 25, hmmmm noice. Goddard, Menadue, Duggan, and the Rainbow would all be solid picks too. We should still get quality at 36 looking at the pool of prospects.

Like all of those guys but havent seen anything of Weller yet. Wasnt that impressed with Menadue but like Goddard, Duggan and Rainbows kicking skills.

Ideally I would like to see us get McKenzie at 16, Cocky at 25 and I really want Toby Mclean at 36. If anyone hasnt seen this kids highlights you have to watch it, the kid is a highlight reel and a half.

I don't like taking KPP in the first round, go with mids in the first round, look for KPP in round 2 or 3. KPP are too hit or miss and you can still find quality KPP in later rounds.

If we did get McKenzie at pick 16. Would Cockatoo last til pick 25. A mid and key forward to replace Petrie, is a good get. We still don't know if Daw & Taz are going to be long term.

If we did get McKenzie at pick 16. Would Cockatoo last til pick 25. A mid and key forward to replace Petrie, is a good get. We still don't know if Daw & Taz are going to be long term.

According to http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/paige-cardonas-phantom-draft-5-0.1080239/ she has us taking Langford at 16, McKenzie taken at 22, we take Cockatoo at 25, Toby McLean at 36 and Matthew Hammelmann at 56.

We could theoretically take McKenzie instead I guess.

She has Nathan Drummond going at 46, I would take him ahead of McLean at 36.

Pick 46: Western Bulldogs – Nathan Drummond

Position: Utility
Height: 181 cm, Weight: 85 kg, DOB: 19/01/1995
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Projected draft range: 50-rookie
Plays like: Bob Murphy

Drummond is a really exciting prospect that’s gone from just a forward last season to a bonafide utility type, blessed with elite speed and endurance and a big natural leap. The Vic Country utility is a big-stage player, with his 30 disposals and a goal against Sandringham in the elimination final his finest display for the year. Drummond’s strengths lay in his speed, his running capacity and his thumping kick which easily penetrates over 50 metres. The top-age prospect this year has become more of a well-rounded player, being able to play through the midfield, off half back and forward where his marking attributes and long kick have been highlighted. I really rate his strong attack at the ball and his agility to lend regular surges through the midfield. He is explosive, has x-factor in his game while he’s also bit of a spare-parts man: he can play several roles as required on the day. He doesn’t necessarily excel in one position, but he’s a handy utility that is a side’s reliable fix-it option. An athletic monster, Drummond came inside the top 10 for every physical test at the combine.

At the combine he scored:
3km time trial 9:59 (5th)
Beep: 15.9 (3rd)
Kicking: 27 (equal 4th)
Clean Hands: 26 (1st)
Goal Kicking: 25 (3rd)
20 Sprint: 2.93 (equal 8th)
Repeat Sprints: 23.95 (2nd)
Standing vertical jump: 76 (3rd)
Running vertical jumo: 90 (5th)

So came top 10 in every category. Speed, x-factor, endurance, skills. Surprised he is listed that low tbh.

Cockatoo is an unpredictable one. His push up the rankings after his Grand Final day exploits may stall as the other kids get more attention. And there is the shift away from home factor which is always an issue for a move from the NT. I would hope 25 is still a possibility, but doubt McKenzie would still be there. It does sound like the club is keen on these two boys and will no doubt be sniffing around the other teams to get a sense of where interests lie. Without knowing inner scrotum machinations, I get the sense that most clubs have a reasonably good idea of who the other clubs are after.

Pick 36 should bring some gold too. It seems Brewis is at his best when we get into the 30s if we look back a few years. Dumont and Jacobs are still too early to call but look like they will make it, but Goldy, Thompson, JMac, and the former Patrick McCarthy-Greenhead (RIP) were all 30-somethings. More of the same thank you very much.

Pick 36 should bring some gold too. It seems Brewis is at his best when we get into the 30s if we look back a few years. Dumont and Jacobs are still too early to call but look like they will make it, but Goldy, Thompson, JMac, and the former Patrick McCarthy-Greenhead (RIP) were all 30-somethings. More of the same thank you very much.

Goldy, Thompson and Patrick were Stibbard picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back