List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Simpson

I wouldn't go near him. I am sure he is super talented but clearly never going to make it. Had to laugh at him not rocking up for a flight to Sydney when is was an emergency ha ha.

As a rookie?
One would assume so
Have you seen much of him in the VFL? What's he like?
He is a solid enough lanky key defender who applies the defensive punch at the right time and can intercept very well.

Skills are good enough (not outstanding) whilst that defensive mindset and decision making is what sets him apart from other key defender.

Apparently injured himself quite seriously in his time at Collingwood and was stiff to be delisted according to some in the know. Having recovered and worked himself into a draft able position, I would assume someone would take a chance on him.

One would assume so

He is a solid enough lanky key defender who applies the defensive punch at the right time and can intercept very well.

Skills are good enough (not outstanding) whilst that defensive mindset and decision making is what sets him apart from other key defender.

Apparently injured himself quite seriously in his time at Collingwood and was stiff to be delisted according to some in the know. Having recovered and worked himself into a draft able position, I would assume someone would take a chance on him.
Cheers mate. Sounds like we could pick him up as an Astbury back-up and hope the two can be fit for 22 games combined.

Cheers mate. Sounds like we could pick him up as an Astbury back-up and hope the two can be fit for 22 games combined.

How do you think Elton will evolve this year? I personally have high hopes for him and thought his last VFL match he was starting to show some ability as a CHB. But he didn't seem to take the marks this year (or maybe in the back half when I saw more VFL) that he had in previous season.

How do you think Elton will evolve this year? I personally have high hopes for him and thought his last VFL match he was starting to show some ability as a CHB. But he didn't seem to take the marks this year (or maybe in the back half when I saw more VFL) that he had in previous season.
More hope that he continues to develop than anything. Not overly confident but he does show some signs of being a good KPD.

Hartley would effectively replace Darrou I guess

He was the best performed of the VFL key defenders and having been on an AFL list already (Collingwoods rookie list) would know what it takes.

One downside, having gone to the State combine (3 AFL interested clubs nominated you), there must be other interest.

He was the best performed of the VFL key defenders and having been on an AFL list already (Collingwoods rookie list) would know what it takes.

One downside, having gone to the State combine (3 AFL interested clubs nominated you), there must be other interest.
Would imagine teams like the Saints and Dogs would be keen.

Would imagine teams like the Saints and Dogs would be keen.

I could see him landing at the Dogs. Pairing Hartley 198cm and Jordan Roughead (199cm) as the key backs could set them up for years. Add in Boyd, Stringer, Crameri and one more truly tall KPF and they have the very foundations of something great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes, it's better to get people out of states where they have family and friends.

I saw it first hand with Jared Brennan and Josh Simpson looks the same.

He is a super talent. Absolutely brilliant player.

Sometimes that exacerbates the situation Bobby.
No doubt he has talent. Too much baggage for mine.
Going by different articles and comments from Chris Bond, the Dockers bent over backwards to assist him. Even going so far to say they will continue to do so even after delisting him.
I believe we have plenty of other areas that we need to put time and resources into, rather than go on a hope and prayer he comes good. Some just don't want it enough, regardless of what's handed to them. I'd rather someone with a little less talent but desperate to be given a go and work his arse off to improve.

This part of his game is severely over rated.

Agree.

The only thing I would say is certain recruiters can be bias to a certain type of player even without knowing it. It's all opinion after all.

The more professional recruiters would probably be some of the most self-aware of internal bias as any person could be IMO.

Any recruiter who wants to be taken seriously should regularly be in talks with professional psychologists, just as professional psychologists are required to see each other to ensure they're not engaging in transference of personalities onto their clients and thus deviating from objectivity.

Unless recruiters think they're better psychologists than the top psychologists in the country, there is no excuse for not getting a regular tune-up to ensure objectivity can dominate thinking in every category.

Im starting to think we need Goddard.
You can never have enough quality talls.

Hugh Goddard

Position: Key forward/defender
Height: 196 cm, Weight: 93 kg, DOB: 24/08/1996
Club: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: 10-25
Plays like: Lachie Henderson

Hugh Goddard’s last month of TAC Cup football was super impressive. He’s had scalps on the likes of Darcy Moore (twice), and in between he’s been pushed forward where he’s had an impact. Despite this season being one which was largely quiet thanks to a pre-season hip injury and a permanent lock-down role in defence, Goddard has runs on the board and his football character is exceptional. Recruiters and scouts have been quick to talk about his return to top 10 calculations after a stunning finals campaign, where he was arguably Geelong’s best. With the bevy of key talls all in the frame for that selection, Goddard can hold his head high with his second half of the year. Athletically speaking, he is terrific and is still a premier swingman, who may or may not come at a bargain price this November. I’m a big wrap for both his ground level work and his marking game, while he also possesses a really nice, long penetrating kick that often finds targets. He’s quick off the mark, and boasts athleticism and a big leap that enables him to play a role at either end of the ground, while he also doesn’t mind embarking on a run from half back to create drive.

Im starting to think we need Goddard.
You can never have enough quality talls.

Hugh Goddard

Position: Key forward/defender
Height: 196 cm, Weight: 93 kg, DOB: 24/08/1996
Club: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: 10-25
Plays like: Lachie Henderson

Hugh Goddard’s last month of TAC Cup football was super impressive. He’s had scalps on the likes of Darcy Moore (twice), and in between he’s been pushed forward where he’s had an impact. Despite this season being one which was largely quiet thanks to a pre-season hip injury and a permanent lock-down role in defence, Goddard has runs on the board and his football character is exceptional. Recruiters and scouts have been quick to talk about his return to top 10 calculations after a stunning finals campaign, where he was arguably Geelong’s best. With the bevy of key talls all in the frame for that selection, Goddard can hold his head high with his second half of the year. Athletically speaking, he is terrific and is still a premier swingman, who may or may not come at a bargain price this November. I’m a big wrap for both his ground level work and his marking game, while he also possesses a really nice, long penetrating kick that often finds targets. He’s quick off the mark, and boasts athleticism and a big leap that enables him to play a role at either end of the ground, while he also doesn’t mind embarking on a run from half back to create drive.

Not sure he will last to us but the thing is he can help us at CHF as well particularly when Griff is rucking or Ty rucking, Griff playing deeper. Goddard gives us that quality with versatility, relieves pressure of Rance and Astbury can play to given Goddard can shift around. Goddard and Astbury could handle the bigger types with Rancey using his mobility in theory. Grimes is pretty flexible on smaller types to

I am willing to forgo any perceived drops in form for him because with the big guys IMO a lot can be to do with circmstances, match-ups and other factors which can create misconceptions with perceived form such as on-field positions relative to other team mates.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Don't want to intrude on your thread here but I am involved in a PD and have drawn Richmond for my team. I am not an expert regarding your list so I just wanted some advice as to the general consensus as to where your lists' weaknesses may be and what kind of players you may be targeting. I was thinking something along the lines of a quality tall with your 1st rd selection, mid with the second, Utility with the third and a small forward/ruck with the later pick. Am I far off the mark ???

Thanks

Hi guys

Don't want to intrude on your thread here but I am involved in a PD and have drawn Richmond for my team. I am not an expert regarding your list so I just wanted some advice as to the general consensus as to where your lists' weaknesses may be and what kind of players you may be targeting. I was thinking something along the lines of a quality tall with your 1st rd selection, mid with the second, Utility with the third and a small forward/ruck with the later pick. Am I far off the mark ???

Thanks

We'll be focusing on the midfield in this draft. Primarily outside class/speed but we need another inside mid too. Doubt we'll take a tall inside the first 3 rounds unless Durdin somehow slides to us.

Hi guys

Thanks
The club has stated we are looking mostly at improving our midfield stocks, so someone like a Duggan/De Goey/Ahern/Weller with our first pick (Cockatoo I'm hoping!), and likely more mids from there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back