List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

We need take the kid with lots of pace and good foot skills. Our midfield
Is all the same type of player, pace pace is what we need FFS!
And Vlaustin has to improve Bcoz I haven't seen him do anything in his career yet to get excited about.

I've seen plenty from him to be excited about

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-25/your-clubs-first-pick

I get the sense reading the above that we're actually a chance at getting Weller. That would be ******* amazing.

Twomey reckons we're in a good spot to 'wait and see what gets through'. If that's Weller or Durdin, the milky bars are on me boys

I really like Durdin, but just can't see a need a KPP so much that we'd use #12 on one. As such I kinda hope someone else takes him beforehand leaving another midfield option available when it gets to our pick.

We've said we're looking to go inside first, but if Weller was available, I wouldn't mind to much if we adapted our plan to fit what was available.

I have memories of when we picked up Griffiths...He slid due to injury concerns, and when it got to us there was a long discussion and we took him. Afterwards the word was that we never expected him to slide that far and were planning to go another way entirely, but figured he was just too good to pass up so we threw the plan out the window and took him.

I really like Durdin, but just can't see a need a KPP so much that we'd use #12 on one. As such I kinda hope someone else takes him beforehand leaving another midfield option available when it gets to our pick.

We've said we're looking to go inside first, but if Weller was available, I wouldn't mind to much if we adapted our plan to fit what was available.

I have memories of when we picked up Griffiths...He slid due to injury concerns, and when it got to us there was a long discussion and we took him. Afterwards the word was that we never expected him to slide that far and were planning to go another way entirely, but figured he was just too good to pass up so we threw the plan out the window and took him.

We have a very real need for a KPP. Particularly defensively even playing Astbury. Just means a swinger is more suitable making Goddard and Durdin highly sought particularly with a true CHF not really being bedded down. Getting one of those gives us more flexibility in how we play Griffiths which can gives us a big boost in our forward line effectiveness! This cannot be underestimated including the ability to improve Griffith's effectiveness . Chaplin simply can't have too many years left and has been found wanting against quality clearly against finals quality. He has to be replaced its just a question of when!

If we got Durdin, ideally he helps with TV and Griffiths in Ruck long term. No need for a pure Ruckman which would be a massive win structurally for RFC and in terms of mobility.

If we got Durdin and Tomlinson next year that would be a total XXX footy fantasy combo and I simply could not contain myself, even without Cocky!! If we got that just chase mids and flankers for the next 5 years, everything else is practically set-up. But again can't see them slipping.

Last edited:
Need good player?
1428118d1395431461-mg-aquaterra-mars-why-not-zoidberg-vyotfu.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The meltdowns will be crazy if we take Ellis. Hope it happens for the lulz.

Funny isn't it. People are more than willing to spend a first round draft pick based on a two minute video clip yet heaven forbid we reach 6-10 spots on someone who had a pretty good season besides the two televised games during the champs.

Funny isn't it. People are more than willing to spend a first round draft pick based on a two minute video clip yet heaven forbid we reach 6-10 spots on someone who had a pretty good season besides the two televised games during the champs.

Thats because we are not picking brownlow medalists we are recruiting the best prospects that can play footy at AFL level going forward. Same reason the players picked Bontempelli over Taylor by the length of a country straight no matter how the media like to spin it!!

Yep Ellis is a pretty good player. Can win his own footy and uses it well on the outside. There might be a couple I prefer to him at our pick but not by much and he'd be worthy of the pick.

I know we have said we want an inside mid but really at 12 I don't think there will be one available that fits the pick. Twomey has said that we are looking at Duggan, Weller, Ellis, Langford. All outside types - although in time they could develop inside games - but definitely not bull inside mids. Duggan, Weller and Ellis are all guys with top end foot skills. Weller and Ellis didn't test at draft camp so i'm not sure what their athletic capabilities are but gee i think Duggan could be extremely good on the opposite wing to Brando. Gives us a silky left footer who can run all day but who isn't afraid to tackle and win a contested ball. That being said perhaps it would be good to have a taller guy in Langford on a wing as well. Could drop back to cover holes when we are under the pump and run forward and take marks when we are on top. Looks to be a weapon of an overhead mark. Probably needs to put on 10kg minimum though before he is AFL ready for week in week out play as at 190cm and 73 kg's he's 17kg under ideal playing weight. 190cm running outside mid screams Shaun Grigg upgrade. Would be keener on a bloke who was better in a contest though.

So for me at this stage realistic preferences at pick 12 (who we are supposedly looking at)

1. Durdin - you don't turn down KP guns. Will shore up KP stocks long term. Rance, Durdin, Astbury screams premiership back line to me. Still can't see him getting past Adelaide.
2. Weller - really placing him here on hype - speed, class and professionalism - put him in the gym and could develop as a complete mid.
3. Duggan - I think he's going to be a very creative running player. JR and co will love the delivery. Left foot gives a point of difference. Hoping for a Hannerbry type when his body develops. Still young.
4. Langford - height and marking gives him a point of difference. Imagine having Langford, Deledio, Lennon and Dustin drifting forward. Nightmare for opposition defenders
5. Ellis - with the exception of his left boot looks pretty vanilla. Component of a winning team i think is the phrase. 185cm though - could develop into a handy midfielder and just gives us another great user.

So even though we have said we are after a bull of a mid I suspect we will get an outside type and then target an inside bull like Danger or Shiel next trade/Free Agency period. That should complete the midfield and leave us ready for a flag tilt if we can pull something like that off.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-25/your-clubs-first-pick

I get the sense reading the above that we're actually a chance at getting Weller. That would be ******* amazing.

Twomey reckons we're in a good spot to 'wait and see what gets through'. If that's Weller or Durdin, the milky bars are on me boys

Not a chance Weller falls to us.

This is how I see things panning out at this stage:

St.Kilda - Pick 1 - Christian Petracca
Melbourne - Pick 2 - Patrick McCartin
Melbourne - Pick 3 - Angus Brayshaw
GWS - Pick 4 - Peter Wright
Collingwood - Pick 5 - Jayden Laverde
GWS - Pick 6 - Jarrod Pickett
GWS - Pick 7 - Jake Lever
Gold Coast - Pick 8 - Lachie Weller
Collingwood - Pick 9 - Darcy Moore
Geelong - Pick 10 - Hugh Goddard
West Coast - Pick 11 - Jordan DeGoey

Leaving us a choice of Durdin, Ahern and Duggan. Although if GWS don't take Pickett I think they'll select Durdin which changes the whole first round. Either way I'm sure we will end up with good player however I hope we don't have to pick between a tall in Durdin or a midfielder. Hopefully that decision is made for us.

We have a very real need for a KPP. Particularly defensively even playing Astbury. Just means a swinger is more suitable making Goddard and Durdin highly sought particularly with a true CHF not really being bedded down. Getting one of those gives us more flexibility in how we play Griffiths which can gives us a big boost in our forward line effectiveness! This cannot be underestimated including the ability to improve Griffith's effectiveness . Chaplin simply can't have too many years left and has been found wanting against quality clearly against finals quality. He has to be replaced its just a question of when!

If we got Durdin, ideally he helps with TV and Griffiths in Ruck long term. No need for a pure Ruckman which would be a massive win structurally for RFC and in terms of mobility.

If we got Durdin and Tomlinson next year that would be a total XXX footy fantasy combo and I simply could not contain myself, even without Cocky!! If we got that just chase mids and flankers for the next 5 years, everything else is practically set-up. But again can't see them slipping.

If the richmond football club has this strategic plan (which most on here knows that thats what i have always wanted the team to structure ) No dedicated ruckman but have 3/4 Multi position players capable of competing in the ruck. That would allow the team to have an extra midfielder racking up 20-25 possesions in the game running around unmanned. Then i would be happy with the decision to take Durdin

But if its to continue with a dedicated ruckman, Then our needs for a speed demon type midfielder is more urgent

Not a chance Weller falls to us.

This is how I see things panning out at this stage:

St.Kilda - Pick 1 - Christian Petracca
Melbourne - Pick 2 - Patrick McCartin
Melbourne - Pick 3 - Angus Brayshaw
GWS - Pick 4 - Peter Wright
Collingwood - Pick 5 - Jayden Laverde
GWS - Pick 6 - Jarrod Pickett
GWS - Pick 7 - Jake Lever
Gold Coast - Pick 8 - Lachie Weller
Collingwood - Pick 9 - Darcy Moore
Geelong - Pick 10 - Hugh Goddard
West Coast - Pick 11 - Jordan DeGoey

Leaving us a choice of Durdin, Ahern and Duggan. Although if GWS don't take Pickett I think they'll select Durdin which changes the whole first round. Either way I'm sure we will end up with good player however I hope we don't have to pick between a tall in Durdin or a midfielder. Hopefully that decision is made for us.

Hearing whispers that GC may not take Weller. Provided Geelong go tall and WCE for some reason pass on him, it's not inconceivable. Very unlikely but not impossible.

The club addressed we wanted inside grunt. Someone that wins there own ball. And someone who can break the lines with speed. utensil cleary fits the bill. With size. And could possibly make imediate impact. Given we havent seen much of him, it would seem taking him at 12 would be a bit of a reach. And most likely if ahern or duggan are there at 12 they will be on top of the clubs wish list. And i agree.

But would hate it next year if we over looked utensil and he was doing the bontempelli dance

So what your are saying is that Ellis will be a better player because of what he has produced last season (by the way isnt anything spectacular,Just a good season) What he does have is good reading of the play and good disposal but will never become an elite player , More just a role player similar to Newman,Bowden types (sure they both have been excellent players and played many many games but you will never win a premiership with 22 of these types and you will always be a middle of the road side.

Heres a few quotes that describe the type of season he has had & You judge if thats what we require,You mention a 2 minute video clip. Well Ellis's Video clip compliments him as much as other players clips - After all its the best of his plays he has been involved in.

"His first two games for Vic Metro yielded astonishing averages: 19 disposals, 5.5 tackles, 4.5 inside 50s and a disposal efficiency of 84.5%. In stark contrast, his last two games had averages of 12.5 disposals, 2.5 tackles, 2.5 clangers, two inside 50′s and 48% disposal efficiency."

"Ellis has had one truly dominant game for the Jets this year: however, it was against the Northern Territory, a much weaker opponent. His stats of 35 disposals, 2.1, 11 handball receives and 11 marks is absolutely incredible. However, he hasn’t hit quite that peak against stronger opponents."

"He is certainly an unfinished prospect, and he will take time at AFL level. Earlier in the year, he looked as though he could have pushed for top ten. He may slide out to the second round if other players show they deserve the spot more."

Most people on this board rate Knightmare and use his writeups for refference whilst doing their phantoms or even getting a fairly good understanding of the upcoming players so i will also quote is ranking of Corey Ellis
#50 and he has Nakia Cockatoo at #31 even considering Nakia has missed just about all of 2014 and Ellis has had a decent year

I personally would be dissapointed if the best we could get out of #12 was Ellis

I wouldn't be using Knightmares rankings to judge how good a player may or may not be. His knowledge of prospects although widespread is not that insightful and is often inaccurate.

In any case my point being was I would be just as disappointed if we ended up with Cockatoo as I would if we ended up with Ellis. Not because they don't have have potential or won't be good players, its just that at pick 12 there are much better players on offer who are not only better now but will be better once they reach the AFL system. Although I know you'll disagree with me on Cockatoo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back