Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if the rules stood as they were then wouldn't the new teams be eligible as well?
Actually...you're right.

So.

2012 draft: end of first rounder. GC gets #1OVR.
2013 draft: GWS gets #1OVR, Melbourne #2OVR, GWS #3OVR, Melbourne #4OVR
2014 draft: Melbourne gets #1OVR.

Who does Melbourne draft if the Aints take Petracca? Is McCartin a consideration as the best player available at 2, or do we persist with the next mid?

Who does Melbourne draft if the Aints take Petracca? Is McCartin a consideration as the best player available at 2, or do we persist with the next mid?

That's a very important question. I'd suggest we grab the next best mid (Brayshaw I assume) due to it being an area Roos has consistently said we need to improve asap (he's also said he doesn't rate taking high-end talls in the draft due to the TAC Cup not being a reliable form guide for talls).

We'll most likely have pick 2 and 3 so we'll be able to get McCartin and Brayshaw unless we trade out. No other mids seem top 5 other than he and Petracca.

If we get an end of first round for Frawley instead of top compo and Petracca gets snagged at #1, we'll have an interesting decision to make. I reckon we need Brayshaw more, but if Clark goes then drafting McCartin wouldn't be a bad move either. Vince and Cross are propping up our midfield at the moment and we should aim to replace them sooner rather than later.

I'd take Brayshaw. Then hope we get pack in mid round 1 with a trade. There's a kid by the name of Reece McKenzie who is a very capable key forward. He's 196cm and 100kg, kicks bags (but a bit inconsistent) and McCartin has misses several games from injury; McKenzie has not.

Also, even if we get Frost or not, Sam Durdin would be a hard-to-say-no-to long term key defensive tall.

I'd take McCartin as the best available to be honest.

He'd be the perfect balance with Hogan.
McCartin at FF and Hogan at CHF would be awesome, would be kinda like the jiz fest everyone was having over Fevola and Brown at Brisbane for the next 10-12 years. But still need to get Mids to kick the ball to them.

I like Petracca the most, but if he's gone I reckon McCartin the only one in the same league in this draft.

He's not just a tall forward - he's a genuine footballer and a goal kicker. He impacts the scoreboard and that's a pretty serious trait.

I'd take McCartin as the best available to be honest.

He'd be the perfect balance with Hogan.
I know we need mids, but they will be available via trade and next year as well.
I don't disagree but if the choice was between Petracca and McCartin (supposing we trade P3) I'd take the former though. Prodigious footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get an end of first round for Frawley instead of top compo and Petracca gets snagged at #1, we'll have an interesting decision to make. I reckon we need Brayshaw more, but if Clark goes then drafting McCartin wouldn't be a bad move either. Vince and Cross are propping up our midfield at the moment and we should aim to replace them sooner rather than later.
The more I think about it the more I convince myself that drafting at least one KPP early this year isn't a bad idea. Yes we need mids but talls are harder to find/draft, take longer to develop and are very expensive to trade in. With the age of free agency upon us, setting our spine up now so that in 3-4 years time when they enter their prime we will have drafted/traded other mids in in later drafts and we can open the wallet and buy one of the many top end midfielders.

Think we can forget about any of the young rookie mids and talls available this year. Pick 2 (and poss Pick 3) will be traded for either Shiel, Greene, Cameron, Mitchell, Danger and possible 1/2 others not mentioned yet. Watts, Trengove, Toups will also be possibly used in 1/2 super trades that will rock the AFL.
Well, we can hope. This is the year to do it.

Think we can forget about any of the young rookie mids and talls available this year. Pick 2 (and poss Pick 3) will be traded for either Shiel, Greene, Cameron, Mitchell, Danger and possible 1/2 others not mentioned yet. Watts, Trengove, Toups will also be possibly used in 1/2 super trades that will rock the AFL.
Well, we can hope. This is the year to do it.
Watts I'd move on, but I want to see Treners post surgery, if he can get back to the level he showed in his first two years we'll do well and Toump is far far to premature.

I don't disagree but if the choice was between Petracca and McCartin (supposing we trade P3) I'd take the former though. Prodigious footballer.

Petracca for me too. My comments were aimed at the presumption St Kilda take him with pick 1 and our decision is between McCarton, Wright and Brayshaw (or anyone else).

My ideal scenario, assuming compo and no traded picks would be:
P2 Petracca
P3 Brayshaw
P23 Tyler Keitel (KPP)

However if Petracca is gone:
P2 McCartin
P3 Brayshaw
P23 Tom Lamb or Touk Miller a contested midfielder (I really want Duggan but won't happen)

I also have romantic notion of getting Oscar, Tom McDonalds brother. Kid can play, good 1vs.1, strong and mobile but like his brother can be exposed by foot.

My ideal scenario, assuming compo and no traded picks would be:
P2 Petracca
P3 Brayshaw
P23 Tyler Keitel (KPP)

However if Petracca is gone:
P2 McCartin
P3 Brayshaw
P23 Tom Lamb or Touk Miller a contested midfielder (I really want Duggan but won't happen)

I also have romantic notion of getting Oscar, Tom McDonalds brother. Kid can play, good 1vs.1, strong and mobile but like his brother can be exposed by foot.

My romantic idea is exactly as you've said, except pick 3, and Watts for Mitchell, Malceski and Zac Jones..

Its amazing how it works we need you

you need us

did you watch the vfl today jones and tutt you need

we need wright

you can still have petracca and tutt and jones and langdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back