Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we really need all of Michie, Riley and McKenzie?

Lose a couple.

Riley looks to be more enthusiastic than mxkenzie and can take a mark

Michie is an inside mid who is replacing Trenners spot

Happy to take newton, we can't have enough midfielders on the list

Do we really need all of Michie, Riley and McKenzie? No, we don't.

Do we really need all of McKenzie? No. No we don't.

I have faith one day we will have a midfield, a bit like Barts faith at Kamp Krusty, krusty is coming, krusty is coming!

Hello Children, I am Mr Black

mqdefault.jpg

Don't know much about Ben Newton to be honest but avg nearly 11 touches in his 4 AFL games & 25 touches at SANFL level. Described as a classy left footer.

And he was the starting sub for the last three of those games. He was a late inclusion for his debut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the sense that he's ready to come in to an AFL side and explode. Don't want to get too moneyball about it, but if he can add 5 or 6 clearances a game it instantly allows us to become more competitive in the midfield. Viv Michie's numbers were a bit better in this regard later in the year too. Just need to get games into them and Riley.

Well that certainly makes his stats look decent.

Im hoping that the fact once Membrey was made a delisted free agent, Newton was quickly released as well - may mean that he wants to get to Melbourne and Port did him the favour, knowing that if he went PSD, St Kilda would take him.

Yeah I'm disappointing to lose him, huge fan of him personally, but his reasons for leaving are completely understandable. He was definitely worthy of playing more AFL in 2014 but it was unlikely to see the likes of Boak, Hartlett, Wines, Ebert, Gray, Cornes etc. forced out of our mid-field. Andrew Moore and Aaron Young were also ahead of him as depth players.

Newton would be wasting his time if he kept trying to break into our team, so it's better he go to Melbourne and get the opportunity to play more AFL footy which he deserves.

While we're on the topic of kicking lots of goals, Buddy is a huge chance to get to 1000. Currently on 659, will only be 28 when the next season starts. Probably has 3-4 years left at his peak with an outstanding midfield servicing him.

would be tough. Hes averaging 50-60 a year atm. If he could have another couple of 'big' years say 60 ish and then another couple around the 50 mark, possibly another 30 ( when hes old and broken ) that would give him around another 250. I could see 300 tops, if he stays durable. That would be low to mid 900s.

Last edited:
would be tough. Hes averaging 50-60 a year atm. If he could have another couple of 'big' years say 60 ish and then another couple around the 50 mark, possibly another 30 ( when hes old and broken ) that would give him around another 250. I could see 300 tops, if he stays durable. That would be low to mid 900s.
He kicked about 80 this year despite being in awful form for the first two months. I'd expect him to back that up next year and possibly the year after. Doesn't miss too many games and is in impeccably good shape. Could - and is contracted to - play until he's 35. Lockett retired when he was 37, and Franklin's knees are titanium in comparison.

He kicked about 80 this year despite being in awful form for the first two months. I'd expect him to back that up next year and possibly the year after. Doesn't miss too many games and is in impeccably good shape. Could - and is contracted to - play until he's 35. Lockett retired when he was 37, and Franklin's knees are titanium in comparison.
I know hes contracted, but how many key fwds play past 33? not many because they're all big and broken and held together with elastoplast. Cant kick goals from the hospital. Actually buddy prob could.

Suppose he went on for 7 more years or around 140 more games ( then he'd be 35, and that would be 340 games ) at 3 goals per game every year, that would be around the mark. 140 *3 = 420 + 659 = 1079. wont happen. At best he plays 100 more and averages 3 a game. That puts him around 960. CHFs break down because the position is so hard on the body. Think Pav, Carey, Brereton, Browny, Lloyd they all were done by the time they were 30 - 32.

Last edited:

Buddy and Lockett couldn't be further apart in terms of style
Lockett literally led out of the goal square turned around and goaled

Buddy hardly ever plays out of the goal square and despite an improvement this year I don't think he is good enough to kick 60+ goals as a deep forward when his mobility goes

Slightly different style of play though. One involves a lot of running, the other shoved off and was quick over 10 metres. Franklin will decline pretty rapidly in his 30s - he's a big unit with a lot of wear and tear over an AFL career. The game is played at a frenetic speed these days and the guys playing well into their 30s recently are Harvey (little bloke), Fletcher (stringbean) and Goodes (security guard). Goodes is being managed and spends large chunks of his time in the forward pocket playing on the 5th defender, Fletcher has no muscle so a lot less wear and tear and Harvey is a little freak.

Is it possible for JT to be put on the rookie list to fee up a spot seem so he might not be back playing next year?
We could, but we run the risk of another club pinching him in the draft.

We could, but we run the risk of another club pinching him in the draft.
I don't think any club would. There's mostly a gentleman's agreement about this kind of thing. That being said, I think we'd be more likely to do it with McKenzie and/or Evans.

I don't think any club would. There's mostly a gentleman's agreement about this kind of thing. That being said, I think we'd be more likely to do it with McKenzie and/or Evans.
Mostly, but we did do it to Adelaide last year with Aidan Riley. I'm concerned Richmond would jump on him if they could get him for nothing as a DFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back