Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're planning on passing on Petracca, I sure as **** hope St Kilda take him at no. 1 so that we're forced to go with McCartin. Though why we'd pass on CP is beyond me. Ollie Wines butchers the ball and maybe isn't the most skilful player but you'd still take him at number 2 or 3 everyday because he busts games open and leads from the midfield.

Petracca isn't a ball butcher.

Jack Darling, Jake Carlisle, Jack Gunston; all taken outside the 1st round and all taken with a pick later than the Saints 2nd pick at 21. Reece McKenzie will be as good as any of them.

There's three - none of which are elite KPF's.

Darling and Carlile aren't there yet and Gunston is more a 3rd tall.

Franklin (#5), Roughead (#2), Reiwoldt (#1), Reiwoldt (#14), Pavlich (#4), Schulz (#12), Kennedy (#5).

Then you have Hawkins and Cloke who would have been top 10 picks if not for the F/S rule.

There's three - none of which are elite KPF's.

Darling and Carlile aren't there yet and Gunston is more a 3rd tall.

Franklin (#5), Roughead (#2), Reiwoldt (#1), Reiwoldt (#14), Pavlich (#4), Schulz (#12), Kennedy (#5).

Then you have Hawkins and Cloke who would have been top 10 picks if not for the F/S rule.

Why are you advocating for the Saints to pick McCartin? Your argument suggests that you don't pass on a KPF who is worthy of a top 5 pick; so wouldn't it be better for us to have him?

Also, 1st round KPFs aren't a sure thing. Gumbleton, Thorp, Watts, Cook, Sellar, Jarryd Grant, Lachlan Henderson, Robbie Tarrant, Vickery, Mitch Brown (Geelong), Butcher. Hardly all guns.

Why are you advocating for the Saints to pick McCartin? Your argument suggests that you don't pass on a KPF who is worthy of a top 5 pick; so wouldn't it be better for us to have him?

Also, 1st round KPFs aren't a sure thing. Gumbleton, Thorp, Watts, Cook, Sellar, Jarryd Grant, Lachlan Henderson, Robbie Tarrant, Vickery, Mitch Brown (Geelong), Butcher. Hardly all guns.
I agree but McCartin has aggression and power that not a single one of those forwards mentioned possessed as a junior. He was also rated higher than all bar perhaps Gumbleton, Watts and Butcher. I'm desperately hoping we get him and Brayshaw, as we seemingly have better development staff in place to nurture their obvious talents and are 'safer' than a Watts or Toumpas (who both could still turn out good) as they have skills that should translate to senior football at the highest level.

The point is the saints would be stupid to pass on him , plus your saying we may aswell have given up picks 2-3 because there is failures there aswell

Petracca's kicking is fine. One video shows some missed targets, while another shows some excellent long-range passing. It's folly to be making a determination on his kicking when you're just exposed to 2-3 minute video clips.

Did I read someone say he lacked class ? Wow. We must watch footy in a different way. Petracca is one of the most exciting big bodied marking mids I've ever laid eyes on. I also love the way he steps up and takes the game on. We know how well Wines has settled in at AFL level and Petracca's skill-sets and kicking is far superior at the same stage. One of the knocks on Wines last year was his kicking, which is certainly below Petracca's, but it hasn't stopped him being one of the games premier young mids.

Petracca and Brayshway in one draft is the epitome of being kissed on the dick every day for a year (twice on Sundays) by Jennifer Hawkins.

I like McCartin too, but I'd prefer Petracca and it's not our choice anyway.

Petracca's kicking is fine. One video shows some missed targets, while another shows some excellent long-range passing. It's folly to be making a determination on his kicking when you're just exposed to 2-3 minute video clips.

Did I read someone say he lacked class ? Wow. We must watch footy in a different way. Petracca is one of the most exciting big bodied marking mids I've ever laid eyes on. I also love the way he steps up and takes the game on. We know how well Wines has settled in at AFL level and Petracca's skill-sets and kicking is far superior at the same stage. One of the knocks on Wines last year was his kicking, which is certainly below Petracca's, but it hasn't stopped him being one of the games premier young mids.

Petracca and Brayshway in one draft is the epitome of being kissed on the dick every day for a year (twice on Sundays) by Jennifer Hawkins.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he's not in the top 3. It's more, at least for me, he's rated 3rd best not no 1.

Also it's worth noting that his disposal efficiency from a 9 games sample set (national champs and TAC) was only 58%, apparently it's 4% below the class average. So to say he has elite disposal is not factual.

I'm not advocating anything.

Just saying if they want a key forward then they've got one available to them who's worthy of the first pick in the draft - any of the first three would be worthy choices so we're going to do well either way.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he's not in the top 3. It's more, at least for me, he's rated 3rd best not no 1.

Also it's worth noting that his disposal efficiency from a 9 games sample set (national champs and TAC) was only 58%, apparently it's 4% below the class average. So to say he has elite disposal is not factual.

And Brayshaw's was only 59 and he's lauded for his kicking.

You can please yourself, but I take no notice of those stats or percentages. I'm more interested in the mechanics of what you can see and Petracca's and Brayshaw's kicking is very good. It's not like they're doing 15 metre sideways chip kicks in the backline. they're playing as inside clearance mids.

He looked to be a penetrating kick but I didn't think he looked composed and some kicks were not even near misses, but way off intended targets. I still rate him high (#3) just don't think he appeared to have the footskills to be a #1 taken as a mid. The Wines point is fair but being from SA and watching him every week, I don't rate him as high as most seem to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looked to be a penetrating kick but I didn't think he looked composed and some kicks were not even near misses, but way off intended targets. I still rate him high (#3) just don't think he appeared to have the footskills to be a #1 taken as a mid. The Wines point is fair but being from SA and watching him every week, I don't rate him as high as most seem to.

Don't fall into the trap of labouring on the odd miss on a video highlight.

Have a look at this clip (click on Petracca). Look at the ease from which he nails goals from 50 and beyond. Look at the marking. Look at some of the passing. Look at the preparedness to take the game on through the midfield. Look at the power. His kicking is fine. Sure, he'll kick the odd scrubber, or make a poor choice, but there's nothing that can't be ironed out in an elite AFL system. Most of all, back the recruiters who have seen him play live regularly.

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine

Don't fall into the trap of labouring on the odd miss on a video highlight.

Have a look at this clip (click on Petracca). Look at the ease from which he nails goals from 50 and beyond. Look at the marking. Look at some of the passing. Look at the preparedness to take the game on through the midfield. Look at the power. His kicking is fine. Sure, he'll kick the odd scrubber, or make a poor choice, but there's nothing that can't be ironed out in an elite AFL system. Most of all, back the recruiters who have seen him play live regularly.

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine
Yeah that's fair he is a gun no doubt I'd just prefer Brayshaw over him. Then I'd prefer McCartin only for the reason that gun forwards (if he turns out to be one) obviously have great value in today's game and I think Tyson and Viney's natural progression along with Brayshaw will be a good start to building a gun midfield. Regardless, it's up to who the saints want anyway.

Yeah that's fair he is a gun no doubt I'd just prefer Brayshaw over him. Then I'd prefer McCartin only for the reason that gun forwards (if he turns out to be one) obviously have great value in today's game and I think Tyson and Viney's natural progression along with Brayshaw will be a good start to building a gun midfield. Regardless, it's up to who the saints want anyway.

Did you watch the clip ?

Petracca and Brayshaw inside frees up Tyson to play outside more to win the ball there and spread with his quality disposal. Plus you can never have enough clearance mids. We're still entrenched in the bottom 2 clearance/contested ball sides in the comp.

I love that the first 3 players are all driven competitive and physical style players , it's as close as you can get to guaranteed afl players

Petracca and brayshaw will both be mid 80 kgs by the time they get to there clubs and only need to add strength and McCartin is a genuine forward who doesn't rely on freakish athletics to dominate kids his age like Wright

Either way we will see 2 young gun mids an hogan or brayshaw an 2 young kpp beasts ( probably not at the same time early )

If we do get McCartin you would say it's curtains for fitzy unless he improves his ruck game and it really puts pressure on Dawes to be better than average

The one thing that can make us better quickly is to get in some gun midfielders. As much as I would love for us to get McCartin to be the 1-2 punch with Hogan, the thought of adding 2 bull type midfielders that can instantly play and are also attacking and push forward and kick goals is bloody enticing... These two will make us better instantly, McCartin may make us better long term... Either way, I think I'm actually happier that we have 2 & 3 instead of 1 & 2 because it is probably the hardest call a club has had to make since us choosing between Watts and NicNat...

Did you watch the clip ?
Yeah it was impressive. Perhaps his kicking was just wayward in the championships? Some of his passes in that clip were very impressive while some of his passes in the championship missed targets by a good 5/10m. If that kicking rather than his state title kicking is the norm that would change my perception slightly yes. I still want Brayshaw the most though, guessing you like Petracca?

I'm firmly in the Brayshaw and McCartin mould - key fwds don't grow on trees, and a Hogan/McCartin duo would set us up so nicely for the next decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back