List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Watch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I also think if Day was playing out of there square with Just 1 of Lynch or Dixon he'd be playing better football, I don't think he feels all that valueable in our forward line being the number 3 is probably slowing his development key forwards need room for there leading patterns etc.
And with the 3 of them its to cramped and as has been mentioned before Day doesn't really have the football nous to make the 3 of them work, and find his own football.
This year is the year to try and fix/ settle on our finals winning forward 6
So whats Plan B. ??

Some people expect every single one of our players to perform like superstars. It's totally unrealistic. Day is tracking well given his lack of positional stability.

I think
FB: KK, May, McKenzie
HB: Harbrow, Thompson, Malceski

is our best. Much rather have Harbrow in the lineup than Day. Looks like a hell of a defense for once.

Harbrow was a gun for us this season , but for strange reasons his efforts by some, were not recognized as they should of been. Believe me, he is a valuable player for us.!!

I do agree that 2MP looks like a natural forward, but in this modern game - players won't get by playing a single position.
If we need 2MP to play ruck, than he is more than capable - and has all the attributes to be a more than capable ruckman.
I wouldn't pigeon-hole 2MP in the one position, because he is probably going to be our best forward and ruckman in a couple years.
I really do rate 2MP VERY highly, and I think it bodes well with Charlie D - and his ability to also play as a swingman.
2MP sures us up and takes some pressure off Day and Lynch, I don't think Day is tracking as well as I'd liked to this point.
As a junior, I really thought we'd of gotten more out of Sam Day by now. I do have question marks over his aggression.

Its not only his aggression, its the fact that he has limited footy nous on the field.

Why? Because he holds a key position and rarely performs. He's completely mediocre the majority of the time. It's all well and good to say he has potential, because he obviously does, but if you don't perform regularly, you need to be dropped - and that goes with everybody. Hall, Shaw, Smith and Nicholls are all in the same position.

There are obviously reasons for his mediocrity as he's been switched around various positions pretty frequently, but it's about time people stop defending players based on their name and perceived skill and start critiquing them on their on-field ability each week. Yes, I understand some players and positions take longer than others to develop, but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. I hope that Rocket pulls Day into line and plays him in one position to allow him to grow, develop, and perform, but if he doesn't, how long do you plan on defending him for?[/QUOTE

Correct. Day should of been dropped to the ressies side in at least round 6 or 7 of the 2014 season due to the inability to perform at the elite level. This would of helped him learn the game without the pressure. We saw a few players dropped during the season whom were performing better then Day in the seniors, so why was this.... most likely a favourite of Blueys.This is one area where Bluey went wrong...... trust me, new coach , Eade, will have none of that. He will sort Day out,along with a few others.!!!

I also think if Day was playing out of there square with Just 1 of Lynch or Dixon he'd be playing better football, I don't think he feels all that valueable in our forward line being the number 3 is probably slowing his development key forwards need room for there leading patterns etc.
And with the 3 of them its to cramped and as has been mentioned before Day doesn't really have the football nous to make the 3 of them work, and find his own football.
This year is the year to try and fix/ settle on our finals winning forward 6
So whats Plan B. ??

Ben, spot on about the footy nous. Ive attended all the Suns home games over the past 3 seasons, and the biggest issue with Day is the fact that he does not possess the footy nous on the field and is totally lacking in the decision making arena , especially when under pressure.But in saying that, I have also seen him make monumental mistakes resulting in turnover of the ball when not under pressure. One can be big, strong and athletic, but if one has not got the ability to read the play, the game plan and be very quick in the decision making process, then one will not make the cut.And this ability to read the play, have quick decision making ability is where players of all sizes succeed . One can be the fittest player with great skills, but if they cant read the play and have quick decision making ability, they don't make the cut as a regular senior player. This is why Day, needs to go back to the ressies and learn these traits.

Some people expect every single one of our players to perform like superstars. It's totally unrealistic. Day is tracking well given his lack of positional stability.
Many people, myself included, don't expect Day to perform like a superstar, but we do expect him to perform like an AFL footballer and not like an under-16 player at a local footy oval. If he can't perform, he should be playing back in the NEAFL. Surely you too agree with that mate!

Day isn't that different to many other AFL players in that he just needs to improve his consistency of performance and narrow the gap between his best and worst. If / when he does that, we'll have a very valuable footballer. He is still only 22 going on 23, which is relatively young for your average KPP. I think people need to completely disregard 2011 and 2012 when looking at his performances. He was an inexperienced kid coming up against quality seasoned AFL men back then with the worst delivery imaginable. 2015 is going to tell us more about him than 2011-2014 together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a list size of 38, we can have 6 rookies + 3 Cat B rookies. With Herbert (Cat A) and Ellis (Cat B) already rookied we have 5 Cat A and 2 Cat B spaces available, meaning a maximum of 7 rookie selections. 2 of those will obviously be Broughton and Raines, so we've really got 3 picks + room for 2 locals (Pruess??).

Getting Preuss could make our NEAFL side very top heavy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I realise that Wright is going to take a while to shine, but I've been thinking of how exciting it's going to be if/when Wright develops to a point where he's dominating in our best 22 week after week.

However, a part of me is a little worried. I wouldn't say I'm doubtful, but just being a realist. Peter has developed on a physical level very early - hell, he's 203cm and 100+ kgs @ 18. All of the young guys he's been playing against and also 18, but are still very likely to grow a few cms and put on 5 - 10 kgs. It's easy to dominate against somebody smaller, but his real test is going to be again the AFL players who have been in the game for several years.

In saying that, I believe he'll go really well. I can envision 2MP being in our best 22 on the forward line from 2016 onwards.

I'm not too familiar with Touk and Jarrod but I'm very happy with picking them up. Touk has shown his leadership qualities and could very well be a part of our leadership group down the line. It was already extremely difficult to put together a mock best 22, and with our three 2014 draft picks, it's just going to get harder.

As an off note (and keep in mind I'm not too familiar with Touk and Garlett), could Garlett take Matt Shaw's spot in our 22 pending injuries and performance? Garlett appears to be similar to Shaw.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a list size of 38, we can have 6 rookies + 3 Cat B rookies. With Herbert (Cat A) and Ellis (Cat B) already rookied we have 5 Cat A and 2 Cat B spaces available, meaning a maximum of 7 rookie selections. 2 of those will obviously be Broughton and Raines, so we've really got 3 picks + room for 2 locals (Pruess??).

It's great that we target some decent top-up players that can round out the areas we are deficient in within the NEAFL team and also add some good young talent.

Agree that Pruess would make the list a bit top heavy but given the question marks on Gorringe if we feel he is the next ruck worth developing then they should probably get him. If we are not that hot on Pruess then we could probably wait a get a rookie ruck next year.

Would love a couple of of inside midfielders for the NEAFL team. By my account the inside mids left in our NEAFL side after picking our best AFL 22 would be Lonergan and Miller. If we can't win the ball at the contest our backs will be under the pump and the forwards will be starved of opportunities.

Picking up new 3 players (Raines and Broughton a given) I would look at:

- next best young player available that we would have taken draft night (e.g. Bampton, Keitel)
- big bodied state league on-baller (e.g. Panos - former Bulldog fwd turned on-baller - BOG SANFL G/F)
- productive state league on-baller (e.g. Cavarra - B&F in TAC Cup last year & winning BOG in G/F playing with Boyd and Petracca, leading vote getter for Frankston in VFL in 1st year playing men - only knocks are that he is small and does not have elite pace - should dominate NEAFL)
- or project ruckman

Interested in the order he gets Broughton and Raines and whether we think anyone might try to take Broughton off us.

Now Clayton can use his 'left-of-centre' pick here rather than at No. 20 (i.e. Jack Leslie).

Matt shaw wasnt even in best 22 the second half of the year.. Was replaced by sexton..
Its going to be sad seeing the 2009 Suns team slowly dissapear replaced by bigger and better kids coming through 1 by 1
Sexton? Hardly. But we need a fast and swift mid regardless. Shaw and Sexton haven't really shown that they're up to the task.

KK and Martin have pretty effectively slotted into an already strong side and have performed pretty astoundingly. Hopefully at least one of our three 2014 picks do the same!

Day isn't that different to many other AFL players in that he just needs to improve his consistency of performance and narrow the gap between his best and worst. If / when he does that, we'll have a very valuable footballer. He is still only 22 going on 23, which is relatively young for your average KPP. I think people need to completely disregard 2011 and 2012 when looking at his performances. He was an inexperienced kid coming up against quality seasoned AFL men back then with the worst delivery imaginable. 2015 is going to tell us more about him than 2011-2014 together.

Sungod,
players such as Lynch, May, Thompson, Dixon, Smith, all began their careers with the Suns on the same level as Day. The development of these guys has been immense compared to Days development.Watch Day closely on game day, he has no footy brain and this hinders his decision making, it stands out like dogs balls.
Problem is, having a good footy brain with quick decision making ability is very much a natural thing... its a very difficult area to teach.!!!

It's great that we target some decent top-up players that can round out the areas we are deficient in within the NEAFL team and also add some good young talent.

Agree that Pruess would make the list a bit top heavy but given the question marks on Gorringe if we feel he is the next ruck worth developing then they should probably get him. If we are not that hot on Pruess then we could probably wait a get a rookie ruck next year.

Would love a couple of of inside midfielders for the NEAFL team. By my account the inside mids left in our NEAFL side after picking our best AFL 22 would be Lonergan and Miller. If we can't win the ball at the contest our backs will be under the pump and the forwards will be starved of opportunities.

- next best young player available that we would have taken draft night (e.g. Bampton, Keitel)
- big bodied state league on-baller (e.g. Panos - former Bulldog fwd turned on-baller - BOG SANFL G/F)
- productive state league on-baller (e.g. Cavarra - B&F in TAC Cup last year & winning BOG in G/F playing with Boyd and Petracca, leading vote getter for Frankston in VFL in 1st year playing men - only knocks are that he is small and does not have elite pace - should dominate NEAFL)
- or project ruckman

Interested in the order he gets Broughton and Raines and whether we think anyone might try to take Broughton off us.

Jack Geary would be a good get here.l

Now Clayton can use his 'left-of-centre' pick here rather than at No. 20 (i.e. Jack Leslie).

- or project ruckman

Jack Geary is one we should target imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back