2023 Pre Season - SAM FLANDERS HYPE THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

Touk never came back out after he walked back to the building.

Hate to say it but McPherson looked good
Flanders lukosius king before he finished at the halfway break. Thomas berry looked good
Anderson swallow and Rowell all solid effort Jeffrey was much better in the red team
Was hard to tell who a few players were from where I was sitting but I don’t think we will see much of Atkins this year
Was DMac played in defence?

cycWWTHd.jpg
So we got a half out of Benny today. I assume the plan is to play three quarters against Essendon before putting together a full four quarter game against GWS. That should mean he's in tip top shape heading into round 1 against the Swans. Exciting to read he played well too!

Interesting to see the dynamic of a King/Chol/Levi/Luko forward line. I understand one will be on the bench at all times, but with our game plan so heavily based around our forwards forcing pressure and locking it in, I have some doubts. One weak link and we get sliced open defensively (we saw what happened at the end of last year). Offensively though that line-up is hard to stop.

Also, good to see our A team has brought the slow starting first quarter into 2023.

So we got a half out of Benny today. I assume the plan is to play three quarters against Essendon before putting together a full four quarter game against GWS. That should mean he's in tip top shape heading into round 1 against the Swans. Exciting to read he played well too!
I believe he is being rested next week with the hope of playing a bit against GWS?

I thought he wasn't playing against Essendon

According to Ralph King will not play against Essendon but should play against GWS.

Fantasy related question here.

Jack Lukosius forward or back this season? Surely back with King returning?

Not sure if this has been talked about yet but Caleb Graham and Sam Day were both playing in the backline for our backups team in last week's intra-club. That would imply that Dew doesn't see Crab as a best 22 player as of right now and it likely also means that Day will be making a more permanent move to the backline to improve our depth in that area. I think this is a good outcome because I feel Graham has been gifted too many games through injuries and hasn't really earned as many games as he's been given to date. Plus, Day is wayyyy behind on our key forward depth chart and is VERY unlikely to get a go in our forward line because there's so many options now. so I hope Day will push Graham to really earn a spot in our best 22 or Day himself finds his way into our backline to play alongside Collins and Ballard. Having depth all over the ground is very important for this reason and Day definitely has the tools to be a serviceable key defender.

Not sure if this has been talked about yet but Caleb Graham and Sam Day were both playing in the backline for our backups team in last week's intra-club. That would imply that Dew doesn't see Crab as a best 22 player as of right now and it likely also means that Day will be making a more permanent move to the backline to improve our depth in that area. I think this is a good outcome because I feel Graham has been gifted too many games through injuries and hasn't really earned as many games as he's been given to date. Plus, Day is wayyyy behind on our key forward depth chart and is VERY unlikely to get a go in our forward line because there's so many options now. so I hope Day will push Graham to really earn a spot in our best 22 or Day himself finds his way into our backline to play alongside Collins and Ballard. Having depth all over the ground is very important for this reason and Day definitely has the tools to be a serviceable key defender.
Agree on all points. Will be good to see how day goes in the vfl as a defender and may well make it back into the afl team. Graham needs to prove himself and earn that spot, I would play him on the best forwards in the trial games and see what he has to offer. So many times even in our internal trials he is pictured getting a goal scored on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree on all points. Will be good to see how day goes in the vfl as a defender and may well make it back into the afl team. Graham needs to prove himself and earn that spot, I would play him on the best forwards in the trial games and see what he has to offer. So many times even in our internal trials he is pictured getting a goal scored on him.
Graham definitely needs to earn his spot but I think I'd feel more at ease if Day beat him for that spot tbh. Day rarely finds himself out of position and has better wheels than people give him credit for. Remember when he ran down Boomer Harvey?

Wouldn't surprise me if part of the reason Day has been swung into the backline is the anticipation that Walter (and maybe Nancarrow) will play a fair amount of VFL footy for us this year. Burgess and Walter will probably be the mainstays in our VFL forward line this year with stints from guys like Jeffrey as well.

Mac Andrew also an interesting one, seems he played fwd in the internal. He did play juniors as a ruck/ fwd but we are stacked in that area. In small doses last year he looked suited to that intercepting half back.

Graham definitely needs to earn his spot but I think I'd feel more at ease if Day beat him for that spot tbh. Day rarely finds himself out of position and has better wheels than people give him credit for. Remember when he ran down Boomer Harvey?

Wouldn't surprise me if part of the reason Day has been swung into the backline is the anticipation that Walter (and maybe Nancarrow) will play a fair amount of VFL footy for us this year. Burgess and Walter will probably be the mainstays in our VFL forward line this year with stints from guys like Jeffrey as well.
Day doesn't have that level of athleticism anymore, not even close. That happened almost 9 years ago, his hip injury and age have halved the speed he once had.

Whilst Chol is pretty decent in the ruck, I do reckon he would want him in the forward 50 as much as possible.
He kicked 43 goals last year in 60% game time as a forward (20% ruck, 20% bench)

Get him in the forward line 90% of the game.. 50 goals minimum for the year.

Casboult could halve a ruck contest and provide a bit of bullocking around the ground.
Casbault was doing a lot of the second rucking too

I could see King and chol being our number 1 and 2 with casboult cutting back his TOG% (91%) to something like 60% fwd and 15% ruck. Even being subbed out some games if things are all well. Would help him get through the season and be able to impact more when called on. Couldn't imagine him taking too many centre bounces though.

Casboult can ruck in the forward 50 arc, like a Hawkins or Dixon type to out muscle his opponent. Chol can be the second ruck up the ground or from the centre when Witts is off.

Means Luko or Jeffery can be the extra tall when Chol is away.

Agree with others. Chol was remarkably accurate in front of goal given his previous form. Anywhere close to that, I’d prefer him in the fwd line. Day/Casboult can second for me

Whilst Chol is pretty decent in the ruck, I do reckon he would want him in the forward 50 as much as possible.
He kicked 43 goals last year in 60% game time as a forward (20% ruck, 20% bench)

Get him in the forward line 90% of the game.. 50 goals minimum for the year.

Casboult could halve a ruck contest and provide a bit of bullocking around the ground.

I can’t remember seeing chol doing rucking so possibly something along the lines of what you’ve suggested here

Agree with others. Chol was remarkably accurate in front of goal given his previous form. Anywhere close to that, I’d prefer him in the fwd line. Day/Casboult can second for me
But Witts has a very high time on ground, so it will probably only be half a dozen bounces a game in most cases. Keeping Chol free in the forward half and Casboult rucking is better, since Chol is better at ground level.

Chol can then simply “pinch hit” in the ruck when needed around the ground, like he did last year. Levi can’t be running all over the ground—it’s not really his strength. He’s a deep forward in the most traditional sense possible.

Chol is also not a bad field kick if he is higher up the ground, but obviously him going ruck every now and again frees up Luko or another forward temporarily to take his spot.

We have to also remember King is back; so Chol isn’t needed to take that forward load all the time with Levi.

Seems like Dew wants three talls plus Luko, at least to experiment with for now.

And I can’t see Day playing much, or rucking much if he does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back