2023 Pre Season - SAM FLANDERS HYPE THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

Graham needs to play lockdown, he doesn't have the skills to do anything else. Just blanket the best forward, spoil everything. If he takes a mark dish it off, and if he must kick take the easiest option. Simply can't be turning it over all the time.

He should be fined his full match fee if he ever takes a kick in.
Graham turns it over far less than Collins and Ballard, just saying.

2022:
Turnovers Graham 1.5, Ballard 3.1, Collins 2.2. Clangers Graham 1.7, Ballard 3.2, Collins 2.0. DE Graham 77, Ballard 73, Collins 78.

So, we got 3 KPDs who should not kick it? IMO, yes, Graham kick is average, but certainly better than Collins and I would say probably also better than Ballard.

Not that practice games matter but looking at GWS game stats and provided my calculations are correct (assuming all handballs were successful), Graham had 8 kicks (+ 1 handball, DE 66), missed 2, one bad one and the other one was a good idea going over head of teammate in the middle. Collins had 13 kicks (+ 4 handballs, DE 58), missed 7.

Yet, many people talk about how crap Graham was in practice game while Collins gets a free pass. BTW, Graham played 37 games, less than half games compared to Collins and Ballard.

People better get used to Graham. He got extended 4 years, selection committee selects him (they all must be idiots and should resign?), cheap for the cap. IMO, Graham is serviceable at the moment. Can he get better? No idea, but with more confidence and games I would say yes. Will some players (on the list or trade in) jump ahead of him? Possibly.

Last edited:
Graham turns it over less than Collins and Ballard, just saying.

2022:
Turnovers Graham 1.5, Ballard 3.1, Collins 2.2. Clangers Graham 1.7, Ballard 3.2, Collins 2.0. DE Graham 77, Ballard 73, Collins 78.

So, we got 3 KPDs who should not kick it? IMO, yes, Graham kick is average, but certainly better than Collins and I would say probably also better than Ballard.

Not that practice games matter but looking at GWS game stats and provided my calculations are correct (assuming all handballs were successful), Graham had 8 kicks (+ 1 handball, DE 66), missed 2, one bad one and the other one was a good idea going over head of teammate in the middle. Collins had 13 kicks (+ 4 handballs, DE 58), missed 7.

Yet, many people talk about how crap Graham was in practice game while Collins gets a free pass. BTW, Graham played 37 games, less than half games compared to Collins and Ballard.

People used to Graham. He got extended 4 years, selection committee selects him (they all must be idiots and should resign?), cheap for the cap. IMO, Graham is serviceable at the moment. Can he get better? No idea, but with more confidence I would say yes. Will some players (on the list or trade in) jump ahead of him? Possibly.
Collins is a big issue too. Finished the year poorly and wasn't great vs GWS.

I'm not saying get rid of Graham, just he's limited and needs to stay in his lane.

Suns website updated players measurements. How accurate, who knows.

Some interesting ones below (my previous values in brackets)

Shockers
Day 196, 106 (197, 99).
Powell 188, 87 (185, 81)

Moyle 206, 104 (205, 100)
Brock 198, 90 (198, 86)
Andrew 202, 84 (201, 81)
Davies 193, 89 (191, 90)
King 202, 98 (202, 98)
Chol 200, 98 (200, 96)
Anderson 192, 88 (192, 86)
Humphrey 186, 86

Last edited:

Suns website updated players measurements. How accurate, who knows.

Some interesting ones below (my previous values in brackets)

Shockers
Day 196, 106 (197, 99).
Powell 188, 87 (185, 81)

Moyle 206, 104 (205, 100)
Brock 198, 90 (198, 86)
Andrew 202, 84 (201, 81)
Davies 193, 89 (191, 90)
King 202, 98 (202, 98)
Chol 200, 98 (200, 96)
Anderson 192, 88 (192, 86)
Humphrey 186, 86
Very interesting.

Glad Mac put on a few kilos.
Lets make it 88kg by the end of the year!

My biggest gripe with Graham is he never ******* goes for marks when he has the chance to off an opposition kick quite easily. Half the time his spoils don't go out of bounds or to our team but straight back to opposition which won't be recorded as a turnover.

His disposal is pretty average but I can live with that if he's not also turning the ball over via spoils that could easily be marks.

Collins will get more turnovers naturally cos he actually marks the damn ball.

I'm not writing Graham off at all but * me he needs to be more confident and go for marks.

Collins and Graham might be ok if it were just one of them, but the combination of the two, wowee, anxiety goes through the roof.

Could do with Steven May rn tbh. Shame he turned out to be a pea heart as I loved him when he played for us and he'd have us in the frame.

So only one expert has predicted us to make finals (fish (bless u)). But most have given finals as the pass mark. I want to be angry at that but it's going to be hard to crack into the top 8. My best guess is

Melbourne
Brisbane
Fremantle
Carlton
Sydney
Geelong
Richmond
Gold Coast

Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
Etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id
So only one expert has predicted us to make finals (fish (bless u)). But most have given finals as the pass mark. I want to be angry at that but it's going to be hard to crack into the top 8. My best guess is

Melbourne
Brisbane
Fremantle
Carlton
Sydney
Geelong
Richmond
Gold Coast

Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
Etc.
Yeah finals will be tough,
From my perspective the definite are
Brisbane
Geelong
Melbourne

Very likely
Sydney
Freo

Likely
Richmond
Carlton
Collingwood
Bulldogs

Possible
Suns
Port

Unlikely
The rest

I know we have prepared differently this year to ensure we last the whole year rather than wearing out after the bye, but getting off to a good start is crucial given our fixture and how tight it’s going to be around the eight.

It’s a challenge, but well within our limits to be 3-1 after round 4 and set up a strong platform. Equally, I can also see us starting the season slow and sitting 0-4. Massive swing and could be the difference between finals or no finals.

Melbourne
Brisbane
Fremantle
Carlton
Sydney
Geelong
Richmond
Gold Coast

Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
Etc.
We're all hoping for finals, but everyone and myself included has us 8-11 range, with Dogs, Port, Pies really.

If we could make the jump like Fremantle did last year and just sit in the top 8 all year and hang on, that would be great.
They beat Melbourne & Geelong away,

It's time to break our duck against Brisbane & Port Adelaide

It's impossible to predict anything at this stage. The competition is so tight that every game looks tough but winnable at the same time. History will show that atleast one team will fall off a cliff and some will rise. Injuries to any team can play a huge part, plus winning those close ones.

It is a good step that we are one of the reasons why it will be hard to make the 8.

Not that long ago teams used to whinge about only playing us once and those teams playing us twice got a head start on points and %.

The concessions worked for both the AFL and us, and we now have a chance to be there and there abouts for a few years.

No excuses now, just get it done or not.

.......tbh, if the Hype is real, then Flanders alone should be enough to get 'er done.

It is a good step that we are one of the reasons why it will be hard to make the 8.

Not that long ago teams used to whinge about only playing us once and those teams playing us twice got a head start on points and %.

The concessions worked for both the AFL and us, and we now have a chance to be there and there abouts for a few years.

No excuses now, just get it done or not.

.......tbh, if the Hype is real, then Flanders alone should be enough to get 'er done.
It definitely feels a bit strange that we are now in that next tier since we've been in the lowest tier from 2011-13 and 2015-2021.

The problem is that next tier is so hard to get into.

We were 2 games outside the 8 last season but 6 games outside the top 4.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The hype thread probably raised our expectations too high. His game was ok, in a match that was awful.

His dropped marks stood out because he was right in front of me.

He was far from worst on ground. Felt like we were unprepared, yet I’d argue Round 1 is the most prepared a footy team can and should be 🙃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back