2023 Pre Season - SAM FLANDERS HYPE THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

Graham definitely needs to earn his spot but I think I'd feel more at ease if Day beat him for that spot tbh. Day rarely finds himself out of position and has better wheels than people give him credit for. Remember when he ran down Boomer Harvey?
As much as that was a very memorable moment to have been present for, When that happened Rory still had his original knees...

Casboult can ruck in the forward 50 arc, like a Hawkins or Dixon type to out muscle his opponent. Chol can be the second ruck up the ground or from the centre when Witts is off.

Means Luko or Jeffery can be the extra tall when Chol is away.
Yea, that's probably what they're going for.
But Witts has a very high time on ground, so it will probably only be half a dozen bounces a game in most cases. Keeping Chol free in the forward half and Casboult rucking is better, since Chol is better at ground level.

Chol can then simply “pinch hit” in the ruck when needed around the ground, like he did last year. Levi can’t be running all over the ground—it’s not really his strength. He’s a deep forward in the most traditional sense possible.

Chol is also not a bad field kick if he is higher up the ground, but obviously him going ruck every now and again frees up Luko or another forward temporarily to take his spot.

We have to also remember King is back; so Chol isn’t needed to take that forward load all the time with Levi.

Seems like Dew wants three talls plus Luko, at least to experiment with for now.

And I can’t see Day playing much, or rucking much if he does.
Witts had 83% time on ground last year. So still 15-20 minutes per game on the bench.

Agree can’t see Day playing unless in an emergency.

Are there any highlights of our intra club match we had last week all the other clubs have posted highlights of there game

Got my tickets for the St Kilda game down here in Round 4. Hopefully better than the last time we played them down here.
I think to make the finals this year, getting wins back on those teams we should have beaten last season but didn’t is very important. That Essendon game, St. Kilda, Melbourne, GWS. All very disappointing losses.

Is there any info on Sandy Brock's pre seasons he is a good size and had some good games in the VFL last year

To continue the sam Flanders hype, I'm loving that he now seems to be able to play that half fwd role and find plenty of the ball. Reminds me alot of kane Lambert playing that position for the tigers with great success.

To continue the sam Flanders hype, I'm loving that he now seems to be able to play that half fwd role and find plenty of the ball. Reminds me alot of kane Lambert playing that position for the tigers with great success.
Work rate has clearly improved massively.
I get he was playing midfield mostly against GWS but saw him bobbing up in the back pocket more than once.

Would love to see him kick a few goals from the half forward - midfield rotation.

Work rate has clearly improved massively.
I get he was playing midfield mostly against GWS but saw him bobbing up in the back pocket more than once.

Would love to see him kick a few goals from the half forward - midfield rotation.
I think he kicked two against Essendon. Certainly capable. We need players like Flanders, Swallow and Rowell bobbing up for a few more goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Experiment:
After seeing the Bulldog’s four tall forwards on the weekend, it begs the question, can we cover tall forward lines like theirs:

Sam Darcy 208
Aaron Naughton 196
Jamarra Ugle-Hagen 197
Rory Lobb 207

Charlie Ballard 196
Sam Collins 194
Levi Casboult 199
Mac Andrew 202

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thought Experiment:
After seeing the Bulldog’s four tall forwards on the weekend, it begs the question, can we cover tall forward lines like theirs:

Sam Darcy 208
Aaron Naughton 196
Jamarra Ugle-Hagen 197
Rory Lobb 207

Charlie Ballard 196
Sam Collins 194
Levi Casboult 199
Mac Andrew 202

What do you guys think?

I don't have issues with our defence. Yes, I would like to see Powell/Weller there to assist rebound but we play zone well. Just hope Collins will realize his limits and return to his best form.

Personally, I believe team defence and how midfield goes are most important factors. If we lose midfield battle (like we did against GWS despite having more clearances) and ball goes quickly into defensive 50, all defences will struggle. Another critical aspect is taking care of the ball. Easy turnovers on rebound (hello Collins), in the middle and defence is exposed and can do mostly nothing.

As for match ups - Collins, Ballard, Graham, Farrar seems fine for me. I would hope Andrew will progress, gets stronger and plays there regularly (replacing Graham) if not this year, then next one. Brock hopefully the same next year. But right now, Andrew and Brock are just potential, but both got height, speed, good kick. I suspect Graham will eventually replace Collins (in 3 or so years).

Last edited:
I agree with much of what you have said.
For team's with significant talls though I still think we will be stretched.

Sam Darcy 208 - Andrew 202
Aaron Naughton 196 - Collins 194
Jamarra 197 - Ballard 196
Lobb 207 - Casboult 199

(Caleb Graham is 194)

I see Ballard winning his battle with Jamarra but not much else.

I agree with much of what you have said.
For team's with significant talls though I still think we will be stretched.

Sam Darcy 208 - Andrew 202
Aaron Naughton 196 - Collins 194
Jamarra 197 - Ballard 196
Lobb 207 - Casboult 199

(Caleb Graham is 194)

I see Ballard winning his battle with Jamarra but not much else.

They are going to take contested marks with that forward line, no doubt.
You just have to exploit it's weaknesses by running it out the defence to kick start your own offence.
I don't think it's a guaranteed recipe for success - but I like teams doing something different to the other 17 and making the rest figure out how to beat it.

I don't have issues with our defence. Yes, I would like to see Powell/Weller there to assist rebound but we play zone well. Just hope Collins will realize his limits and return to his best form.

Personally, I believe team defence and how midfield goes are most important factors. If we lose midfield battle (like we did against GWS despite having more clearances) and ball goes quickly into defensive 50, all defences will struggle. Another critical aspect is taking care of the ball. Easy turnovers on rebound (hello Collins), in the middle and defence is exposed and can do mostly nothing.

As for match ups - Collins, Ballard, Graham, Farrar seems fine for me. I would hope Andrew will progress, gets stronger and plays there regularly (replacing Graham) if not this year, then next one. Brock hopefully the same next year. But right now, Andrew and Brock are just potential, but both got height, speed, good kick. I suspect Graham will eventually replace Collins (in 3 or so years).
You lost me at “ I don’t see any issues with our defence”

Everytime Graham kicks it, it’s a shank. Other then a fist. He offers nothing..

If he fills the void of Collins.

We’ll never win a finals game of football.

You lost me at “ I don’t see any issues with our defence”

Everytime Graham kicks it, it’s a shank. Other then a fist. He offers nothing..

If he fills the void of Collins.

We’ll never win a finals game of football.
I actually wonder if Sam Day is a better option right now. He's no star but feel like he's a more reliable option. Don't think 2mp kicked a goal on him in the trial. I'd think he'd be ok on reid or McLean if he plays Rd 1.

I actually wonder if Sam Day is a better option right now. He's no star but feel like he's a more reliable option. Don't think 2mp kicked a goal on him in the trial. I'd think he'd be ok on reid or McLean if he plays Rd 1.
He was woeful.
Always second to the ball. Reactive play.
Wright got his hands to it numerous times but just fumbled.
Harrison jones marked against him.

To me this idea that day can play back is completely nonsense

I mean Day had a single handball against Essendon. Didn’t mark it once.

Graham had 3 intercept marks this week and at least 1 last week as well.

Graham needs to play lockdown, he doesn't have the skills to do anything else. Just blanket the best forward, spoil everything. If he takes a mark dish it off, and if he must kick take the easiest option. Simply can't be turning it over all the time.

He should be fined his full match fee if he ever takes a kick in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back