Injury 2014 Injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not writing him off, dude's a beast.
He'll do everything in his power to be ready to roll at the start of next season

Sam Landsberger thinks he could miss just the 5 games, and be ready to roll. He'll be on ice for a while but he'll play plenty of AFL footy next year, assuming he doesn't re-injure it or sustain another injury.

re: clay smith
no way of knowing where the tendon graft failed without seeing the MRI or sticking an arthroscope into his joint. ACL repairs are not as strong as normal, healthy uninjured ACL ligaments. the style of clay's play doesn't really come into his probability of injury - main factors in ACL injuries are genetics, gender, history of previous ACL injury and the playing surface (the vast majority of ACLs are done in early season, with northern state grounds over-represented). history says that folks who come back from a second ACL and play very well are the exception rather than the rule. i wouldn't say that it's career over, but i wouldn't put money on him playing 200 games. gee i hope i'm wrong.

re: mitch wallis.
he's fractured the 'bump' on the outside of the foot (about half way between the base of the little toe and the heel).
thanks

thanks for that

someone told me, which i find hard to believe, that the new hamstring tendon is actually stronger than the original ACL tendon once the graft strengthens? can anyone confirm this?

I find it absolutely amazing that the new tendon actually attaches itself to the bone actually. amazing stuff the healing properties of the human body...

cheers

andy

thanks

thanks for that

someone told me, which i find hard to believe, that the new hamstring tendon is actually stronger than the original ACL tendon once the graft strengthens? can anyone confirm this?

I find it absolutely amazing that the new tendon actually attaches itself to the bone actually. amazing stuff the healing properties of the human body...

cheers

andy
I've heard/read that before too, not sure if its just a myth or whatever though.

re: clay smith
no way of knowing where the tendon graft failed without seeing the MRI or sticking an arthroscope into his joint. ACL repairs are not as strong as normal, healthy uninjured ACL ligaments. the style of clay's play doesn't really come into his probability of injury - main factors in ACL injuries are genetics, gender, history of previous ACL injury and the playing surface (the vast majority of ACLs are done in early season, with northern state grounds over-represented). history says that folks who come back from a second ACL and play very well are the exception rather than the rule. i wouldn't say that it's career over, but i wouldn't put money on him playing 200 games. gee i hope i'm wrong.

re: mitch wallis.
he's fractured the 'bump' on the outside of the foot (about half way between the base of the little toe and the heel).
I learn way more from your posts than I ever have from McKenzie. As far as McKenzie is concerned "everyone is tracking nicely" and no other information need be divulged.

How would you like to replace him as Medical Services Manager?

Pretty please!!!

I learn way more from your posts than I ever have from McKenzie. As far as McKenzie is concerned "everyone is tracking nicely" and no other information need be divulged.

Pretty please!!!
I dunno. McKenzie's tracking nicely.

thanks

thanks for that

cheers

andy

there is a strength / flexibility trade off when inserting a graft - you can make the graft short and thick, and therefore strong, but it comes at the expense of flexibilty.
the body is indeed a freaky thing.

Pretty please!!!

getting to avalon to load the medical room stock onto a 6am flight, working a 16-hour day in the rain in perth and getting home at 6:30am (just in time to get to the job that actually pays the bills)? it's a damn tough job with competing and conflicting interests (fans wanting to know info vs. patient / player confidentiality; coaches and players wanting to play vs. non-maleficence; rehab staff vs. S&Cs; medico-legal issues regarding concussions / injury management / compliance). no thanks!

i'm pretty happy with the allied medical team at VUWO.

getting to avalon to load the medical room stock onto a 6am flight, working a 16-hour day in the rain in perth and getting home at 6:30am (just in time to get to the job that actually pays the bills)? it's a damn tough job with competing and conflicting interests (fans wanting to know info vs. patient / player confidentiality; coaches and players wanting to play vs. non-maleficence; rehab staff vs. S&Cs; medico-legal issues regarding concussions / injury management / compliance). no thanks!

i'm pretty happy with the allied medical team at VUWO.

I get that but I can't see how hard it is to do a "Fuller, Shoulder, TBA" on the injury list at a minimum, considering he hasn't played for 2 weeks because of it.

I get that but I can't see how hard it is to do a "Fuller, Shoulder, TBA" on the injury list at a minimum, considering he hasn't played for 2 weeks because of it.

Obviously trying to lull Hawthorn into a full sense of security, before announcing Fuller as a late inclusion to keep Breust kickless.

I'm guessing the reasons regarding the issues with our injury list because of AFL Rules/Regulations because of training, salary caps etc. Something to do with that, just my guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As usual our Medical Update fails to enlighten members on the current status of Prudden, Fuller and Pearce. Surely if the club is fair dinkum about promoting the club and keeping members informed, then some comment or explaination is not too big of an ask.

What do others think about all the secrecy ?????

As usual our Medical Update fails to enlighten members on the current status of Prudden, Fuller and Pearce. Surely if the club is fair dinkum about promoting the club and keeping members informed, then some comment or explaination is not too big of an ask.

Pearce is fine and has an eye to playing VFL finals. Prudden is done for the year after suffering 6 hamstring injuries during fitness testing. Fuller had surgery on his shoulder a day or two ago.

This is all straight from the players themselves, a few of us spoke to these boys on Sunday. The club definitely could be more comprehensive in that respect on the website, though.

We regularly tear our hair and beat our breasts over it. Welcome aboard.

Wha?!

So he tore his hammy in 6 places during testing?
Hey, he is a god. But then again, he did his hammy 6 times. So, kinda like the old 'Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it' conundrum.

No, just that every time he did a fitness test, he re-injured a hamstring :p

Fuller has had a Double Reco on his Shoulders, Didn't realize how bad it was, Hopefully he recovers and smashes it next season

Fuller has had a Double Reco on his Shoulders, Didn't realize how bad it was, Hopefully he recovers and smashes it next season
Pretty poor form to canvass his name as "worst WB player ever" in that regrettable thread. Let's cut him a bit of slack.
Prudden needs a good run at it next year to stay on the list. Can't carry young guys that just can't handle the physical load of professional footy
I agree, but we might get stoned to death by the Pruddenites, saying things like that.
The fact that he was given three years and still hasn't played a game suggests he is highly regarded. I just hope he can string a series of games together next year to show us what he's really capable of.

Both shoulders? Good on him for pushing through the year, lets hope he can prove a few people wrong next year. He's obviously got another level or 4 to go to.

Prudden needs a good run at it next year to stay on the list. Can't carry young guys that just can't handle the physical load of professional footy
Isn't he signed to 2016 though?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back