Injury 2014 Injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

concensus amoung sports physicians is that young players, with careers in front of them undergo traditional hammy grafts, while guys at the end of careers may opt for LARS as the consequences of a repeat ACL tear aren't as drastic for them.

This is the case - they rarely give young players LARS treatments because if they have a 10 year career in front of them, there is a very high chance that the synthetic ligament will snap at some point.

Bummer about Wallis, was playing some good football over the last month.

Midfielders Clay Smith and Mitch Wallis will be sidelined for the remainder of the 2014 season, after suffering injuries on the weekend.

Scans have confirmed Smith has re-injured his anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, after an incident during Footscray Bulldogs’ VFL win over Essendon on Sunday at Victoria University Whitten Oval

Meanwhile Wallis suffered a fracture to his left foot during Sunday’s game against Essendon, and will require surgery to stabilise the joint.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...is-season-over ?camefrom=EMCL_345834_15861063

so with an acl tear, would clay smith's new tendon have snapped in half, or did the tendon come off from the upper bone? Sorry for getting technical, but just wondering where it most likely got damaged?

Also, it fascinates me how a new tendon could possibly be as strong as the original one? its quite amazing that the new tendon can do this???

And with wallis, its the middle bone in his small toe i think

cheers

Smith's career over?

He's had a shitty year but players have come back from worse.

How many come back well after two recos on the same knee?
I can't name one off the top of my head as I'm not sure which knees players have done, but there have been worse off players. What is Morabito's history there?

I can't name one off the top of my head as I'm not sure which knees players have done, but there have been worse off players. What is Morabito's history there?

IIRC he's had 3.

Smith's problem is that he is a beast at the contest, and so every part of him will be under stress each contest.

If he was Jordan McMahon, he'd probably be fine.

IIRC he's had 3.

Smith's problem is that he is a beast at the contest, and so every part of him will be under stress each contest.

Fair enough, see where you're coming from. Really feel for him, it'd be heartbreaking if it seriously impacted/ended his career.

Must admit I'm worried about the same thing. His body is a battering ram. Also worried that agility has never been his strong point, and 2 recos could slow him down considerably.

But we can only wait and see. If David Schwarz can come back from 3 knee recos on the same knee, playing the way he played and still win a B&F - then Smith can come back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so with an acl tear, would clay smith's new tendon have snapped in half, or did the tendon come off from the upper bone? Sorry for getting technical, but just wondering where it most likely got damaged?

Also, it fascinates me how a new tendon could possibly be as strong as the original one? its quite amazing that the new tendon can do this???

And with wallis, its the middle bone in his small toe i think

cheers

re: clay smith
no way of knowing where the tendon graft failed without seeing the MRI or sticking an arthroscope into his joint. ACL repairs are not as strong as normal, healthy uninjured ACL ligaments. the style of clay's play doesn't really come into his probability of injury - main factors in ACL injuries are genetics, gender, history of previous ACL injury and the playing surface (the vast majority of ACLs are done in early season, with northern state grounds over-represented). history says that folks who come back from a second ACL and play very well are the exception rather than the rule. i wouldn't say that it's career over, but i wouldn't put money on him playing 200 games. gee i hope i'm wrong.

re: mitch wallis.
he's fractured the 'bump' on the outside of the foot (about half way between the base of the little toe and the heel).

Sorry if this has already been covered but I read today Prudden is out with a knee. TBC. Does anyone know anymore about this? He was not mentioned in the clubs injury report.

re: clay smith
no way of knowing where the tendon graft failed without seeing the MRI or sticking an arthroscope into his joint. ACL repairs are not as strong as normal, healthy uninjured ACL ligaments. the style of clay's play doesn't really come into his probability of injury - main factors in ACL injuries are genetics, gender, history of previous ACL injury and the playing surface (the vast majority of ACLs are done in early season, with northern state grounds over-represented). history says that folks who come back from a second ACL and play very well are the exception rather than the rule. i wouldn't say that it's career over, but i wouldn't put money on him playing 200 games. gee i hope i'm wrong.

re: mitch wallis.
he's fractured the 'bump' on the outside of the foot (about half way between the base of the little toe and the heel).

It sounds like it's a very similar fracture that I had in the 1980's. This I sustained when I jumped down from the back of a truck and landed awkwardly.

If clay was a 27 year old, big heavy, 195cm plus guy then I would be more worried. But he's young and absolutely smashed his last rehab, was way ahead of schedule and raring to go in the pre-season. I'm confident he will play a handful of AFL games next year, career definitely not over IMO.

Smith was back quickly this year from a knee. He was playing VFL around round 1 and then the salmonella saga happened around the time as well. He did his knee almost exactly this time last year.

It's not inconceivable that he could be back running around and playing around round 1 next year.

Career over is a massive overreaction.

I'd hope he's not back by round 1 tbh, no harm in giving him a little longer. Just goes to show though that we can't bank on any of our players being good, long term players. Who would thought Clay would have this luck after being drafted with no injury concerns whatsoever and being extremely reliable in his first year or two. Whose to say the same thing won't happen to Macrae :(

If clay was a 27 year old, big heavy, 195cm plus guy then I would be more worried. But he's young and absolutely smashed his last rehab, was way ahead of schedule and raring to go in the pre-season. I'm confident he will play a handful of AFL games next year, career definitely not over IMO.
Have to agree with this.
Nuggety players like him would do okay with his knee, look at Libba snr doing his knee in something like the third last round of the year that he won the brownlow, then coming back and playing a full season and playing round 1 and winning the best and fairest the very next year.
The fact that Smith's recovery was so quick - he was fit for Round 1 this year until he got that salmonella poisoning and was out for a while, he was back in what was it? 8 months? Means that I think it'll help his chances for a full recovery.

Blokes I would be concerned about are players like Patton and Tex Walker who are big and bulky and coming back from knee recos.

Smith will be back for round one, but not with a full pre-season. Kid is a rehab hero.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back