Live Event 2014 NAB AFL Draft Discussion - Coming to a Board Near You...

Remove this Banner Ad

Why what? I posted that nearly one year after the last draft when Caleb Daniel & Toby McLean both had good starts to their first season, so you would prefer our recruiters jump in a time machine and take Reece McKenzie & Tom McDonald like a lot of people said on here or a pair of the other garbage talls that have done sweet f all since been recruited because we have a structural issue?

Why would these players do any better at our club?

Chill dude - last yr resolved a few of my concerns.

The same time machine might Have avoided his miss in that draft - what's his face who hasn't played a game and is Jarmans cousin. Or we draft Ben Brown instead of Fuller. :(

But honestly still annoyed we drafted bugger all talls for so long - not just that draft. It's going to cost us. It already has cost us a million bucks a yr and may well cost us more in finals games and expensive trades.

The argument is old. Some folk say Dal didn't draft tall because they weren't there. I point to low or rookie picks like Blicsavs, Brown and McGovern to say they often are and Dal just never spotted them.

Who knows maybe this particular draft had absolutely no good talls - if so it's rare - only more time will tell.

Chill dude - last yr resolved a few of my concerns.

The same time machine might Have avoided his miss in that draft - what's his face who hasn't played a game and is Jarmans cousin. Or we draft Ben Brown instead of Fuller. :(

But honestly still annoyed we drafted bugger all talls for so long - not just that draft. It's going to cost us. It already has cost us a million bucks a yr and may well cost us more in finals games and expensive trades.

The argument is old. Some folk say Dal didn't draft tall because they weren't there. I point to low or rookie picks like Blicsavs, Brown and McGovern to say they often are and Dal just never spotted them.

Who knows maybe this particular draft had absolutely no good talls - if so it's rare - only more time will tell.
You and I have discussed this topic plenty in the past, so you probably have a decent idea of my opinions already.
Right now I have nothing further to add to it and I apologize if I came across as impatient, it's as you said; the topic has become old & I otherwize enjoy reading what you have to say.

Didn't you know? We were stupid to pass on McKenzie five times. Him falling to pick 77 means nothing.
Now out of the league and playing local footy
Wants to play vfl next year

Guys that would definitely go ahead of Daniel in a re-draft:

1. Wright
2. Moore
3. Petracca

Guys that might:

4. McCartin
5. Brayshaw
6. De goey
7. Lever

That is all.

And Heeney

I seriously don't get why Daniel wasn't rated by the other AFL clubs on draft day.
It was hardly mentioned in this thread but he finished 3rd in the beep test in the combine.
He kicked at 90% efficiency at the U/18 championships.
Considering modern recruiters have gone hard for players who can't win a contested ball nor actually kick it efficiently but can run all day (Damien Cavka, Josh Schoenfield and Jack Hiscox have all been drafted as runners), I find it amazing how a bloke who is only marginally worse than them in endurance but can kick the ball as well as anybody in the draft class, and can win his own contested ball somewhat, wasn't drafted on the basis of being half a foot shorter than an average player. Like I get having doubts about his height... but surely those doubts should have been limited given he's got above-average AFL endurance. If he was short and his beep test numbers/3km numbers raised red flags I get it... but they didn't, and nobody drafted him. It's not often that the bloke who's in the top 3 of all the endurance testing is also a skilled player, most of the time with your Schoenfield/Hiscox types their contested ball winning/skills are actually terrible.

I seriously don't get why Daniel wasn't rated by the other AFL clubs on draft day.
It was hardly mentioned in this thread but he finished 3rd in the beep test in the combine.
Considering modern recruiters have gone hard for players who can't win a contested ball nor actually kick it efficiently but can run all day (Damien Cavka, Josh Schoenfield and Jack Hiscox have all been drafted as runners), I find it amazing how a bloke who is only marginally worse than them in endurance but can kick the ball as well as anybody in the draft class, and can win his own contested ball somewhat, wasn't drafted on the basis of being half a foot shorter than an average player. Like I get having doubts about his height... but surely those doubts should have been limited given he's got above-average AFL endurance. If he was short and his beep test numbers/3km numbers raised red flags I get it... but they didn't, and nobody drafted him. It's not often that the bloke who's in the top 3 of all the endurance testing is also a skilled player, most of the time with your Schoenfield/Hiscox types their contested ball winning/skills are actually terrible.

I was one of those idiots that thought he wouldn't make it on draft day and I've never felt more embarrassed by it. I think you can get into that negative mindset of he's too small and close the book on him. At least that's what I did. Once he got drafted to the dogs, I saw him play his very first VFL game and I just decided to focus on his game rather then his height. Very quickly I saw that his positives far outweighed his height and I just knew he was going to make it. I've never before done a complete back flip on a player after one game, he had me convinced and I've never doubted him since.

Note: He tested above average for speed and good for agility to go along with his elite endurance. He's quite a nice athlete to go along with his footy brain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Left him out given the academy, but realised I put Moore in. Heeney definitely ahead of Daniel.
I'm not sold on Heeney being better than Daniel... and I really rate Heeney. Who do you think was the more effective player on the weekend Fronk? I'd say Daniel by a country mile. One game only I know, but the game against Sydney was just par for Daniel...the kid plays like that every bloody week. He is a beauty!

I think it's a historical thing more than anything.

I played footy with a bloke named Fort Caruso. Man this guy could play, I played some under 16 footy with Chappy and Fort is still the best player I've played with.

Won 2 Morrish medals for best and fairest in the TAC Cup competition and smashed it at VFL and SANFL levels later on.

Unfortunately he was just too short, probably stand 1.66 and didn't get drafted. It's ingrained in the recruiters minds that it's a risk too great.

Rumors were that Carlton were tossing up between Fort and Betts and didn't want to pick two smalls. History suggests they made a good call regardless, but I have no doubts Fort would have had a great AFL career.

Not the right draft, but I think it's weird that there's still hand-wringing over not selecting Ben Brown in 2013.

The bloke absolutely sucks.

Really , tell that to rest of the industry !

Really , tell that to rest of the industry !
The industry that bypassed him 46 times in the draft, doesn't prioritise defending him over a cooked Petrie and has so far made no concerted effort to dislodge him from North Melbourne? I'm sure they'll be appalled.
Really Ozil? Surprised by that. I think he's a real talent.
Don't see it with him at all. Ruckwork is below par, lateral movement is nonexistent, useless below his knees, a liability in defence and an ordinary kick for goal. And I don't see the scope for improvement, given his age and exposed AFL form.

Bobs up now and then with a lead, mark and goal, but he's a non-entity for too much of the game.

Really Ozil? Surprised by that. I think he's a real talent.
I'm with Ozil on this one. Offers no defensive pressure whatsoever and could quite possibly be the worst player in the league when the ball hits the deck. Might not do anything to minimise his direct impact on the game statistics wise, he'll still take his contested marks and kick a goal or two on average, but it makes his teammates worse. Teams that have beaten North with him in the team have had a 3rd defensive tall exploit this and dominate by running off him.

I'm not sold on Heeney being better than Daniel... and I really rate Heeney. Who do you think was the more effective player on the weekend Fronk? I'd say Daniel by a country mile. One game only I know, but the game against Sydney was just par for Daniel...the kid plays like that every bloody week. He is a beauty!
Was a bloodbath last week mutt. Daniel a match winner and heeney couldn't get near it. Still love his game though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back