Live Event 2014 NAB AFL Draft Discussion - Coming to a Board Near You...

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Taylor was 22 when he was drafted.
Ted Richards was a laughing stock from Essendon.
Josh Gibson was traded for a 2nd & 3rd rounder.
Tom Lonergan was a useless full forward.
Port got Hombsh PLUS Neade for pick 28

In one draft St.Kilda traded in Delaney & Bruce for next to nothing.

Jared Rivers, Troy Chaplin, Frawley all free agents.

I'm not trying to argue that it is easy. I'm just saying that IF the cubs strategy is to get in mature key defenders, they will get it done.
I would also contend that recent history hasn't had us in a situation where we have been really actively seeking out mature key backs, so isn't actually that relevant.
It's a decent reply so kudos on noting the names, but that's basically a handful over a number of years AFL-wide so I'm nto convinced its' easy or likely in the short term (next 2-3 years).

Our list for 2015 is what it is now, so I really hope Bevo can get some sort of system working in the back half. As a former backline coach he should have a fair idea of what needs to be done.

Fair enough, I thought I remembered Curley playing almost a Morris role (maybe I'm thinking of Dent?)
Perhaps Dent - Curley had an article written about him as the player in the competition who makes the least number of mistakes in the AFL. A week earlier he was the first player suspended for making contact with an umpire!

Dent wasn't big but I remember him beating Leppitsch one day, although that was a Lions flogging so Leppa didn't get that much opportunity.

Perhaps Dent - Curley had an article written about him as the player in the competition who makes the least number of mistakes in the AFL. A week earlier he was the first player suspended for making contact with an umpire!

Dent wasn't big but I remember him beating Leppitsch one day, although that was a Lions flogging so Leppa didn't get that much opportunity.
Dent's best play for us was the right hand he put on Jason Ball's chin in the Whitten Oval barney v West Coast

Intruder alert - I'm amazed that you didn't take Oscar McDonald when you had several chances.

Obviously you rated other players higher but surely needs come into it, especially with the Caleb Daniel selection given you've got a number of smaller types in Dal, Hunter and Hrovat.

Intruder alert - I'm amazed that you didn't take Oscar McDonald when you had several chances.

Obviously you rated other players higher but surely needs come into it, especially with the Caleb Daniel selection given you've got a number of smaller types in Dal, Hunter and Hrovat.
It has already been mentioned in this thread believe it or not. I was surprised Adelaide chose Lever over the local boy Durdin

End of the day at 194cm Zaine Cordy's easily in the best handful of kpds in the draft. He's not a giant but the premiers had one gorilla key back on their list and won 2 flags. We've got a couple of nicely sized ones already

I think he personally just rated other players higher

I was surprised to see Marchbank go so early to GWS, given he hadn't played much football and had a bad history of injuries
You can pick and choose when you've got the keys to the cabinet like those campaigners have.

I think he personally just rated other players higher

I was surprised to see Marchbank go so early to GWS, given he hadn't played much football and had a bad history of injuries
I guess they could've gone for somebody like Nielson or McDonald with a later pick. Who knows why they went for McKenna at 23...

Surely they'd have been into Langford, Wright (Giles & Boyd gone), Lever, Laverde (Kavanagh Mark II?) or even Cockatoo as a point of difference. They were rolling in top 10 picks, they could afford to take the risk.

There were a few 'meh' picks early on - De Goey, Marchbank and Ellis among them, for mine. Resulted in Essendon absolutely cleaning up :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to melt but I'm actually giggling. I'm absolutely floored by this effort. The talent that slid past us just amazes me. I'm a gambler by nature but Dalrymple just went all in with his pants around his ankles yelling "pair of twos, pair of twos!!!"...... Holding a pair of twos..... Trouble is it is club money.

End of melt

Ahahahahahhahahaha - Dalrymple plays far better poker than I do :)

Lol at this thread. Reminder for everyone on draft night. We have no idea about these kids. Have your favourites (as we all do), but don't stress if dalrymple takes some smokies.

Ps. Is Oscar McDonald an all Australian yet???

Pretty pointless comment re McDonald. We won't know much for a few years.

At this early stage Dal looks he's picked at least 3 or 4 AFL standard players which is good, so he addressed one of my concerns which was his previous s**t performance with picks 25 to 50 range picks.

My other two concerns remain:

Why draft a batch of very small players of a similar age? We have created a list imbalance and we are going to have to trade our way out of it or just be too small a team to ever go deep in finals if they all play. And of course no one wants to trade any of them and we see hissy fits by some here at the suggestion of it:confused:

And when will Dal show us that he can identify and draft tall talent?? Too early to say on Cordy who was father son anyway.

Last I'm saying on that draft other than to say I hope they all end up champs at our club...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back