Live Event 2014 NAB AFL Draft Discussion - Coming to a Board Near You...

Remove this Banner Ad

I was really salty after last year's draft haha

But now rationale has kicked in and I can see the direction dal is heading.

No more Shane thorne's though.

I remember a tidal wave of annoyance that Darymple didn't draft a key back, but in hindsight it looks a smart move.
They've backed Hamling, Roberts and Talia in .
Time will tell, but the draft class of 2014 looks good.

I remember a tidal wave of annoyance that Darymple didn't draft a key back, but in hindsight it looks a smart move.
They've backed Hamling, Roberts and Talia in .
Time will tell, but the draft class of 2014 looks good.

Had Morris' jaw been slightly worse we would have been going in this with just two fit key backs left on our list.

We definitely are a least one key back short on our list.

Pretty pointless comment re McDonald. We won't know much for a few years.

At this early stage Dal looks he's picked at least 3 or 4 AFL standard players which is good, so he addressed one of my concerns which was his previous s**t performance with picks 25 to 50 range picks.

My other two concerns remain:

Why draft a batch of very small players of a similar age? We have created a list imbalance and we are going to have to trade our way out of it or just be too small a team to ever go deep in finals if they all play. And of course no one wants to trade any of them and we see hissy fits by some here at the suggestion of it:confused:

And when will Dal show us that he can identify and draft tall talent?? Too early to say on Cordy who was father son anyway.

Last I'm saying on that draft other than to say I hope they all end up champs at our club...
I'm confused, Dal picked Talia & Roberts; didn't he? Aren't they considered talls? Talls are also incredibly hit & miss & like you said re: McDonald, take their time to show if they have talent, whilst having supporters casting doubt on them & not in a polite way either heh
I also think dal was pretty keen on getting Hamling to us, because he had rated him in his draft year

As usual it would seen that post draft blues have set in and a lot of people have their balls in a twist about things they know **** all about.

Dr Idle prescribes ice cubes and a longer term view of things.

This guy was spot on as usual. What ever happened to him?

Had Morris' jaw been slightly worse we would have been going in this with just two fit key backs left on our list.

No it just means we have injuries. You can't plan for injuries to your first choice key backs and their depth, look at West Coast.
Just unlucky that Roughead, Cordy, Hamling, and Kelly are all injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I, for one, welcome our new batch of 200 game premiership winners.

We got some speed and some good foot skills. Happy with that
I stand by this post.

So if we lost 4 possible key backs (morris, roughead, deuce, hamling) then we would only have 2 left (talia and fletcher). Thats pretty good coverage!! :)

But yeah, Id say concentrate on a key forward which eases the pressure on Roughead or Fletch to be moved forward. If we lose Boyd then we are down to Big Jack, Campbell or Ayce as long targets, let alone a decent mobile CHF.

In fairness it's unusual to lose three key backs in a week . You can't recruit in case you might get a catalogue of injuries in one dept

A lot of angst over missing out on Toumpas, myself included. And now we could get Toumpas for not every much if we wanted to.
Yeah, but do you now rate Toumpas? I think we dodged a bullet there. I wanted him too, but hasn't turned out I believe. Struggled to get games at two clubs!

Yeah, but do you now rate Toumpas? I think we dodged a bullet there. I wanted him too, but hasn't turned out I believe. Struggled to get games at two clubs!

Nah, I certainly don't rate him now. By this point I was having my doubts that he could make it but now I just can't see it happening.

Or in one years time :D

Why?

Talia, Roberts and Hamling haven't or don't look like working out. And we are still short a KPD, and may have to overpay to get one. Meanwhile we see Honeychurch and Hrovat possibly being forced out due to lack of opportunity.

Yeah Dal nailed some picks. But cumulatively his failure to draft tall and overstock in smalls over a number of drafts could cost us big time in finals this year and in trading losses at seasons end.

I certainly wouldn't be gloating that Dal is perfect.

Having said that I am more comfortable with Dals drafting especially after last yr. but our structural issues remain.

Why?

Talia, Roshort a KPD, and may have to overpay to get one. Meanwhile we see Honeychurch and Hrovat possibly being forced out due to lack of opportunity.

Yeah Dal nailed some picks. But cumulatively his failure to draft tall and overstock in smalls over a number of drafts could cost us big time in finals this year and in trading losses at seasons end.

I certainly wouldn't be gloating that Dal is perfect.

Having said that I am more comfortable with Dals drafting especially after last yr. but our structural issues remain.
Why what? I posted that nearly one year after the last draft when Caleb Daniel & Toby McLean both had good starts to their first season, so you would prefer our recruiters jump in a time machine and take Reece McKenzie & Tom McDonald like a lot of people said on here or a pair of the other garbage talls that have done sweet f all since been recruited because we have a structural issue?

Why would these players do any better at our club?

Why what? I posted that nearly one year after the last draft when Caleb Daniel & Toby McLean both had good starts to their first season, so you would prefer our recruiters jump in a time machine and take Reece McKenzie & Tom McDonald like a lot of people said on here or a pair of the other garbage talls that have done sweet f all since been recruited because we have a structural issue?

Why would these players do any better at our club?
You gotta love when someone takes one of your old posts completely out of context.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back