NCAA 2014 Off-Season News

Remove this Banner Ad

2013-14 over.
The lead up to 2014 begins.

Key dates
Feb 5 - Letter of intents can be signed
Apr 1 - Last date for letter of intents.
Aug 27 - Season begins (Georgia State vs Abilene Christian @ Georgia Dome)

Anyway, part of the reason I opened this was so I had 1 small place to keep a track of Boise State's recruiting news as the Boise forums are the busiest they've been since the Kellen Moore days and things are flying off pages fast with so many posts.

KJ Carta-Samuels* has opened up his recruiting. He was committed to Vanderbilt, but he's basically said he's gone with James Franklin leaving.

He's hearing from Boise State and UCLA at the moment and is interested in both. Of those 2, Boise State appears to be in a better position. HOWEVER, I get the impression that if Franklin gives him an offer to Penn State, he's saying yes instantly. Luckily for BSU, Penn State already has a decent QB in this class as is. So it isn't needed too much.

* 4 star, #23 overall QB - scout.com (fox)
4 star, #11 pro-style QB - rivals.com (yahoo)
4 star, #9 pro-style QB - 247sports.com
4 star, #13 pro-style QB - espn.com

James Franklin the head Head Coach of Penn State.

LbgkNlP_crop_north.jpg

This is a map showing the locations that cfb players come from

LbgkNlP_crop_north.jpg

This is a map showing the locations that cfb players come from
I think the link would be a little better. (Ill try and fine it now)
It's an interactive map so you can check where each school gets their talent.

One thing I was more impressed about was the range of Notre Dame's recruiting. True national network. Everyone else basically stays inside their region. SEC barely goes west of Dallas or north of Mizzou.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Brent Musburger is out at ESPN. He has an option to become the lead play-by-play voice for the SEC Network, but seems that either Rece Davis or Chris Fowler will take over the primetime Saturday Night Football (plus one national semi final and the college football national championship) alongside Kirk Herbstreit.

I think he's great.
Great knowledge, but he's so monotonous.
Kinda like Dick Vitale (Though, at least he tries to bring passion into his call, but my god, his voice wont let it, most annoying commentator int he world. Well, besides maybe Brian Taylor)

Absolutely unreal day for the Tigers. Great recruiting class.
Too bad there were two teams in the division with a better class.
LSU - Accepting mediocrity ;)

Every year around signing day I start to yearn for missed opportunities to do student exchange in the US.

I'd just love to know more about the mindset of players that sees them going to schools where they'll wear a red shirt next year, and still won't play the 2 seasons after that. I know many have pro ambitions - but I just would've thought your priority would be to actually play football as an 18yo.

In some instances I get it - I heard the other day on ESPN that every 5 star recruit that Saban has gotten to Alabama has been a first round draft pick, so I get 'bama. I know the religious thing with Notre Dame, so I get that. I know the absolute institution that USC is in California, so I get that.

But I don't really get why you'd go and be a 12th string HB at LSU rather than 6th string at Arkansas, or why you'd go and be 10th string DE at FSU when you could go and be 5th string at Pitt (these are examples that obviously aren't giving a lot of regard to location).

I'd love to know what leads 18yos to these decisions.

Coaches will compare their schools strong points against another schools weak points.

Say Boise State and Washington were going head to head over a cornerback.

Washington would be recruiting the point of "We are in the Pac-12, you will be competing against the best Wide Receivers in the west. You will showcase your skills to NFL scouts by beating better competition. You can't do any of that at Boise State, we will put you into the NFL, they wont"

Boise State would recruit along the lines of "Look at our history of pumping people into the NFL. Kyle Wilson, Orlando Scanderick, Jamar Taylor, Jeron Johnson. Now look at where they were when they joined Boise State. We have the best coaches in the land. Marcel Yates made a lot of them, he's here now. Play for us, and we'll hone your skills to be one of, if not the best cornerbacks in the country when you graduate. We'll get you into the 1st or 2nd round in the draft. Could Washington do that?"

Say Stanford and Oregon were going head to head for some kid.
Both would sell similar to each other (both use rbs a lot just different packages) but Stanford would sell the academics side. "After you've played with us for 4 years, and played in the nfl for another 10, what are you going to do after that? That's why education is important. Come to Stanford, get a degree, and at the end of your career, you can walk into just about any job you want. Get a media degree, become a commentator or journalist. Get a business degree, and your marketing advantage of being in the NFL would guarantee a job. Go to Oregon, you'd have to hope you were the GOAT to get that. Here, everyone will want you, that's how well respected Stanford is in the real world"

It's the way coaches sell things.
In your 10th string @ LSU vs 6th string @ Arkansas example. It'd be the same.
The coaches at LSU would be saying 'We're one of the best in the SEC, you're good enough to start for us from day 1, we'll give you that opportunity, sign with LSU and you'll be right into competition to be starting rb next season'

Schools just give students so much attention, make them feel like they're all like Adoree Jackson. Make them think they're the best and can start anywhere. It's why big schools can bring in great players.

I might get more details soon(ish).
I know someone I'm meeting up in Atlanta for the Boise State-Ole Miss and/or Alabama-West Virginia game.
His son is currently going through the processes for a few years from now. And I can tell you now, it's a 3 way fight.
He loves Coach Petersen.
He loves the city of Boise.
And he loves Alabama.

He's 'Bama bound if they offer, if they don't, he's heading to Boise/Seattle.

Cheers for the post DB - I do get the way teams pitch themselves to players.

What I wish I had the opportunity to do was talk to a kid and say "how did you weigh all that up and make your decision?"

Obviously it'd be different for each kid. But Rashaan Evans was actually the one that got me thinking about it.

Yes, Saban gets his 5-star recruits to the NFL. Yes, the Tide are perenial contenders. Yes, they operate a set up and a play book not too dissimilar to the pros. Yes, they get a lot of TV coverage.

BUT - you're FROM Auburn! Your mum apparently wanted you to go to Auburn. They just lost a National Championship game. They're also a very professional set up. And they also get plenty of tv coverage.

This is the kind of kid whose decision I'd love to be able to understand, beyond the cliches that they generally spew about opportunity and about their love for X coach.

Why are current coaches on the NCAA rules committee.
One year you have the Air Force coach trying to stop Boise State wearing blue on blue on blue on blue.
The next you have the Alabama coach trying to implement rules to slow down hurry-up offences (play clock must lose 11 seconds before snapping it) just so he can stop the LSU and Texas A&M offences.

You deem yourself to be a defensive guru Nick, devise a tactic to beat it, not go and create rules instead. (May I advise you to watch the 2009 Boise State-Oregon game if you have no idea)

Though, I loved Mike Leaches (Wazzu head coach) response.
Washington State head coach Mike Leach went off on the proposed rule during a radio interview on WJOX in Birmingham, Alabama, and it was certainly entertaining to listen to.

"It's one of the most mind-numbingly dumb suggestions that I've ever heard and what makes this one even more reprehensible is the fact that it is so transparently self-serving," Leach said. And he was just warming up.

"It's a reaction to the success of Auburn and Texas A&M, clearly, so rather than innovate defensively and respond defensively... and rather than adapt our teams it's like we're gonna invent a rule," Leach said. "But in order to invent a rule you have to have a reason to invent a rule, so then they're going to try and hide behind player safety in order to do it."

Leach went on to proposes three rules he felt would enhance player safety, obviously mocking the defense of player safety as a priority focus for the proposed rule. They were:

1. Don't allow defenses to blitz

2. A defense is never allowed to bring more players than an offense has to block

3. You are not allowed to hit the quarterback.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back