News 2014 Saints Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Happy new year folks, here's hoping it is a very happy one for our footy club and those who support it. :thumbsu:

Richardson going 'old school' at St Kilda: Schneider

"ALAN Richardson has gone "old school" with the St Kilda players, with the instigation of a tough pre-season regime Adam Schneider believes is the hardest they've faced in years.

"Richo has been great. He's old school, which I like, he's all about hard work and that's the first message we got from him; that we're going to be a hard-working team and train hard and that's what you've got to be if you're going to be part of St Kilda," Schneider told AFL.com.au.

"A few of the boys have been blown away with how hard it's been. It's been one of the hardest pre-seasons the boys have had in the last five or six years.

"We're all extremely fit at the moment and all flying, so we're reaping the rewards and that's all because of the way Richo has approached it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-01/richardson-going-old-school

I am in like mode. :thumbsu:

Looks like Shenton copped it in the face there. Poor form Gilbert, you just gave away a free in the goal square!

"I think Luke Delaney has impressed. He's an extremely big boy and you can just tell he knows what to do," Schneider told AFL.com.au.

"He was just lacking a chance at North Melbourne and he's really standing out to us, he's such a big body and that's exactly what we needed.

"I think he'll probably play most games if not all of them and hopefully really help us down back."

"Luke Dunstan is a man-child, he's massive, he's up there with the strongest top five or 10 at the club in body-weight so he's got a good chance," he said.

"Jack Billings, being a No.3 draft pick, you always put expectations on these guys but they're still kids and they're going to take their time and you can't expect too much from them because that's just not fair on them.

"But I think they're a good chance and they're doing all right things at the moment and impressing so that's good to see.
"(The training camp) was the perfect way for them to get in and meet the boys and they responded really well."

Billings hurt his quad on the trip but Schneider said the youngster was back running before Christmas and just restricted with kicking.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-13/delaney-the-saints-ace-in-the-pack-schneider

"I think Luke Delaney has impressed. He's an extremely big boy and you can just tell he knows what to do," Schneider told AFL.com.au.

"He was just lacking a chance at North Melbourne and he's really standing out to us, he's such a big body and that's exactly what we needed.

"I think he'll probably play most games if not all of them and hopefully really help us down back."

"Luke Dunstan is a man-child, he's massive, he's up there with the strongest top five or 10 at the club in body-weight so he's got a good chance," he said.

"Jack Billings, being a No.3 draft pick, you always put expectations on these guys but they're still kids and they're going to take their time and you can't expect too much from them because that's just not fair on them.

"But I think they're a good chance and they're doing all right things at the moment and impressing so that's good to see.
"(The training camp) was the perfect way for them to get in and meet the boys and they responded really well."

Billings hurt his quad on the trip but Schneider said the youngster was back running before Christmas and just restricted with kicking.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-13/delaney-the-saints-ace-in-the-pack-schneider

Confirming what we all hoped, this guy should get a few games next year.

Holy s**t, an article from the future!

Happy new year folks, here's hoping it is a very happy one for our footy club and those who support it. :thumbsu:

Richardson going 'old school' at St Kilda: Schneider

"ALAN Richardson has gone "old school" with the St Kilda players, with the instigation of a tough pre-season regime Adam Schneider believes is the hardest they've faced in years.

"Richo has been great. He's old school, which I like, he's all about hard work and that's the first message we got from him; that we're going to be a hard-working team and train hard and that's what you've got to be if you're going to be part of St Kilda," Schneider told AFL.com.au.

"A few of the boys have been blown away with how hard it's been. It's been one of the hardest pre-seasons the boys have had in the last five or six years.

"We're all extremely fit at the moment and all flying, so we're reaping the rewards and that's all because of the way Richo has approached it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-01/richardson-going-old-school

I am in like mode. :thumbsu:

5 or 6 years? Seriously, shouldn't someone have putting some serious km on the legs of players like Armitage , Geary and Steven, somewhere back there?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-03/new-year-new-faces

ST KILDA
2013 debutants: Nine
What to expect in 2014: One player the Saints would have loved to have blooded in 2013 was mid-sized forward Daniel Markworth, who was taken with their second-round draft selection in 2011. But, a knee reconstruction at the end of 2012 robbed him of the chance and he'll look to make his debut in 2014. Exciting forward Spencer White is another who could get game time after explosive signs last year while there's no reason the Saints' three draftees – Jack Billings, Blake Acres and Luke Dunstan – can't play in their first seasons. Billings had to back off his training pre-Christmas because of a quad injury sustained in Colorado while Dunstan appears to be the most physically ready of the three to play senior football after appearing at SANFL senior level for Woodville West Torrens in 2013. – Jennifer Phelan
Good early info for Supercoach or Dream Team :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe this deserves its own thread, maybe it doesn't. So I'll put it here. But there was a particularly interesting small segment in a somewhat recent episode of QI.

Tried to link it to a specific time but that didn't seem to work - skip to ~10:40

Give it about a minute to get relevant but they discuss the origin of a certain team we support.

I believe we've always considered the history of our name to being an island off the coast of Scotland? But these guys go one step further. Mentioning that it was simply an old Norse word for 'shield'.

Does everyone know this? Don't think I did. Anyway hope someone reading this can learn something new!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Kilda,_Scotland

Various theories have been proposed for the word Kilda's origin, which dates from the late 16th century.

St Kilda may have been derived from Norse sunt kelda ("sweet wellwater").

Martin Martin (never trust a man with two first names), who visited in 1697, believed that the name "is taken from one Kilder, who lived here; and from him the large well Toubir-Kilda has also its name".

Maclean (1972) similarly suggests it may come from a corruption of the Old Norse name for the spring on Hirta, Childa, and states that a 1588 map identifies the archipelago as Kilda.

Steel (1988) adds weight to the idea, noting that the islanders pronounced the H with a "somewhat guttural quality", making the sound they used for Hirta "almost" Kilta.

Maclean (1972) further suggests that the Dutch may have simply made a cartographical error, and confused Hirta with Skildar, the old name for Haskeirisland much nearer the main Outer Hebrides archipelago.

Quine (2000) hypothesises that the name is derived from a series of cartographical errors, starting with the use of the Old Icelandic Skildir ("shields") and appearing as Skildar on a map by Nicholas de Nicolay (1583).

I've written about this a few times, but hey, it's off-season, so what the hey.

St Kilda is located in the far, FAR north-west of Britain. After that, there's pretty much nothing but the Atlantic Ocean. Norse warriors, probably from the 10th Century, utilised it as a military out-post, and given that it was pretty much the furthest land that they imagined could exist (notwithstanding some getting to Newfoundland in America, but anyway...), they called it the "Shield", which in Norse was "Skilda". Even today, the Icelandic word for "shield", is "skjöldur". And "j" is actually a VERY recent letter - up until around the 18th Century, it didn't exist. So that would have been written "Skioldur". You get the picture.

Now, the BRITISH way of writing a Saint, right up until very recently, was not with "St", but simply "S". This was the same for both the Latin and Celtic strands of the medieval British church (long story...). So, when they saw on a map that there was an island called "Skilda", they assumed it must be named after a saint called Kilda. Nobody could check it "officially", since it was flipping miles from Rome, and the whole canonisation process was much more localised then anyway. Also, "saint" comes from the Latin "sanctus", which is a translation of the Biblical Koine Greek "hagios", or Hebrew "cherem", which in outer-Biblical usage just meant "exceptional", "different" - hence originally Saints were just really exceptional Christians you knew.

Anyway...

Utter Blasphemy all of this!-:)

While we all look for and comment on incremental improvement in the Saints web site and St Kilda's media presence, the top of the competition moves on from a standard that we already can't reach, to a whole new level.

http://www.afr.com/p/marketing/collingwood_afl_club_builds_build_wIkGxHPlYSn6K0EX6MJTgK

Collingwood has become the first AFL club to build its own television studio as it gets ready to substantially increase its digital news and feature services to fans for the 2014 season.
The club, considered the wealthiest in the AFL, is spending about $1.5 million on its digital media division in 2014, including hiring a head of production to run the new studio built at its Westpac Centre training base in Melbourne.

In digital and social media terms, the Collingwood Magpies is the most popular club in the AFL despite only winning two premierships in the past 23 years.
The club’s app has been downloaded more than 92,000 times and it has more than 246,000 Facebook and 55,000 Twitter followers. Collingwood’s website is also the most popular among AFL clubs.
The club will employ six producers and presenters for the 2014 season, which also includes another season of The Club, a 30-minute television program produced by Collingwood and shown on Foxtel’s Fox Footy network every week during the AFL season.

This is an interesting article on where one of the best runs clubs is heading, while we still aren't anywhere near the old standard.

While we all look for and comment on incremental improvement in the Saints web site and St Kilda's media presence, the top of the competition moves on from a standard that we already can't reach, to a whole new level.

http://www.afr.com/p/marketing/collingwood_afl_club_builds_build_wIkGxHPlYSn6K0EX6MJTgK

Collingwood has become the first AFL club to build its own television studio as it gets ready to substantially increase its digital news and feature services to fans for the 2014 season.
The club, considered the wealthiest in the AFL, is spending about $1.5 million on its digital media division in 2014, including hiring a head of production to run the new studio built at its Westpac Centre training base in Melbourne.

In digital and social media terms, the Collingwood Magpies is the most popular club in the AFL despite only winning two premierships in the past 23 years.
The club’s app has been downloaded more than 92,000 times and it has more than 246,000 Facebook and 55,000 Twitter followers. Collingwood’s website is also the most popular among AFL clubs.
The club will employ six producers and presenters for the 2014 season, which also includes another season of The Club, a 30-minute television program produced by Collingwood and shown on Foxtel’s Fox Footy network every week during the AFL season.

This is an interesting article on where one of the best runs clubs is heading, while we still aren't anywhere near the old standard.

I've always argued that support is driven by accessibility, train lines were the initial drivers, then came TV exposure, now in the digital age it's going to be around the clock exposure.

Smart move by the Pies.

The Saints can no longer rely on being in a prime physical location. No need to go the the lengths of the Pies but more resources directed in the general direction would not go astray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back