List Mgmt. 2014: The List

Remove this Banner Ad

Hallahan is like a better skilled Ben Howlett IMO. Would be a good cheap acquisition if we did indeed decide to go down that path. I personally thought we should have enquired this year just passed but still worth it, trade value won't see much harm.

Hallahan is like a better skilled Ben Howlett IMO. Would be a good cheap acquisition if we did indeed decide to go down that path. I personally thought we should have enquired this year just passed but still worth it, trade value won't see much harm.

Was a 2nd rd pick years ago and showed little at AFL level.

Shouldn't cost much.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk

Should get in Clay Smith's ear while we're at it.

Kid is a bull.
Dogs will not let him go. Bog in the VFL on Friday night in return from acl. Something like 35 disposals and multiple goals. Wasn't he a high pick as well?

Hallahan was sub on monday. Kicked a great goal. If he continues to play this year he might want to stick around and it could drive his value up as well.

Waite says he has good football ahead
"I may be 31 but I don't really feel like it. Probably the fact that I have missed a lot of footy has helped me in the long run. Even though I have had a few body issues, my body is still good. I still feel like I can go on," he said.

"I don't think they [Blues management] will worry about it at the moment. This year is all about getting the body right, playing some consistent footy and trying to stay on the path for as long as possible."

The strong-marking Casboult and his management have also yet to officially begin discussions with the Blues about a contract extension.
Waite says he has good football ahead

:confused:

The paragraphs I quoted relate to list management.

Would you re-sign Waite and Casboult?

Yes. They give us the only semblance of a fwd structure along with lachie..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hallahan would be a fantastic get - but given that he is now playing in the seniors (well... as of last week), I doubt they'd be inclined to let him go for anything cheap.

Don't shoot me down over this but ... if Jeffy does decide that he would like to return to WA, I think the club should swap him for a KPP wanting to return home (such as Mitch Brown?) and then replace Garlett with Ahmed Saad (once his ban lapses) who we could pick up for nothing and was from our very own Preston VFL side.

Saad provides pace, an accurate set shot for goal and more propensity to push further down the ground - he would also be made to look a lot better in a more structured side than he was exposed to while at the Saints.

It's effectively trading a small forward for a KPP and another small forward.

*runs and hides*

Carlton have approached Mitch Hallahan's management. Look's as though we're interested.

We'd be interested in plenty but can't see Hallahan as being a pressing need.
Need quicker mids with bigger tanks. From what I've heard about Mitch, he doesn't have 4 quarters at full pace in him.

Pretty sure we'll see a much taller CFC by December this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[quote="TheMcGrathMan, po

To add to this you have 3 top 10 draft picks, 3 mid 20 picks and some more speculative picks so Watson/Warnock/Curnow/sub position/forward pocket could all have some very talented players there. Jeff Garlett also could be there...

Pretty much agree with your assessment of possible in's and out's. It is a real shame that Robinson cannot get his decision making and disposal right as we all love his attack on the ball. I would probably pull the trigger on a few of the C grade players earlier but it does depend on there contract status.

I would pull the pin OR TRADE on Armfield, Cachia, Mclean, Robinson, Bell, Ellard, Bootsma... depending on contract status, we need to start bringing in some kids that can kick and have game awareness. All these guys have been given plenty of opportunity.[/quote]

Ellard has a role to play. Not every player in your 22 can be a superstar, you need the role players.

Good attack on the ball, forward nous and a good kick for goal.

Look no further than Port Adelaide. They have their stars in Westhoff, Boak, Wingard etc but they have a lot of players whose names don't stand out, but they play their role.

Hallahan would be a fantastic get - but given that he is now playing in the seniors (well... as of last week), I doubt they'd be inclined to let him go for anything cheap.

Don't shoot me down over this but ... if Jeffy does decide that he would like to return to WA, I think the club should swap him for a KPP wanting to return home (such as Mitch Brown?) and then replace Garlett with Ahmed Saad (once his ban lapses) who we could pick up for nothing and was from our very own Preston VFL side.

Saad provides pace, an accurate set shot for goal and more propensity to push further down the ground - he would also be made to look a lot better in a more structured side than he was exposed to while at the Saints.

It's effectively trading a small forward for a KPP and another small forward.

*runs and hides*

the Brown brothers are so over rated. I constantly see them get beat.

Brown would not provide us with anything that Jamo, Rowe, White, Watson, McIness cant.

the Brown brothers are so over rated. I constantly see them get beat.

Brown would not provide us with anything that Jamo, Rowe, White, Watson, McIness cant.

I disagree -

Mitch Brown may be slightly overrated on output (given he doesn't have the same exposure as his brother plus his injury history) but he is head and shoulders above McInnes and Watson in terms of strength and mobility as a KPD.

He would provide a stable pillar down back (similar to what Rowe is doing now) which would allow us to comfortably play Henderson forward on a permanent basis.

Unless of course Watson suddenly improves his reaction times, sprint times and body contact in marking contests over the summer I think Brown would be in our best 22 down back.

Obviously there are others I would prefer (such as May) but in the case that Jeffrey pulls the pin and wants to head home to play for WCE - he would be a suitable trade to help address a need in the meantime.

Thanks for the kind words mate, appreciate it!

Well I think you had your clean out at the end of 2013 - Betts the one I would have wanted to keep but he wanted too much $$ for what was worth it long term, but Laidler/McCarthy/Mitchell/Davies/Duigan/Joseph were not the future, as well as the demotion of Scotland to the rookie list. I still think for a premiership side you have 4-5 players to get rid of, and think they are all in your best 22-25 at the moment (Waite, Robinson, McLean, Bell). Not to mention other guys like Rowe, Lucas, White are not far off the team if you cop a couple of injuries etcc. That's a bigger reason why the season has so far panned out as it has, not the top of your list etc. And I think with a better 16-25th group of players all of a sudden you have a lot better/more A-graders.

I do think Watson & Casboult are worth keeping, might not work it out but Casboult I don't think I've ever seen him take a backward step from a contest, and Watson has been thrown to the wolves more than once, so I think they have room to improve.

I do, and looking at his record (at WC and at Coll) he's done it. He needs his list though, not Rattens or anyone elses. He's already had 8 guys leave (including Hampson), and I think another 4-6 each over the next 2 years will be around 18ish players out. That's starting to build his list. Starting to build a team that can actually play his game style while reverting to the attacking through the center Blues that is the more natural game style for Murphy/Walker/Yarran and co.

I think the state of our list improved drastically with the clean out of last year. Cleaned out a lot of players not good enough, Scotland to rookie list opens a spot and $$$, losing Hampson for Wood also saved $$$, I guess you could say we replaced Betts, a small forward where we have depth, for Thomas, a midfielder which we needed more depth in, and got the versatile Everitt for a pick in the 30's which I think is good value.

As you said, with another change of the list at the end of this year, I expect a big improvement from us next year. Still need that key forward though for when Waite retires.

Only thing is when I look at Ross Lyon and Ken Hinkley, it's rare but they were able to drastically improve Fremantle and PA in their very first year. Wish Mick was able to do that with Carlton.

BTW I may have missed this but is there some merit to Garlett possibly leaving? Or was that a hypothetical.
I really want to keep him. Just needs to have the right mindset going into every game.

Such X factor, can crumb and mark on the lead and when he's switched on, he chases from the F50 all the way to Half back sometimes to lay tackles. Did it against WC on the weekend and on some other big occasions last year. Can fluff some easy-ish shots but can also kick em from the boundary very nicely. Big asset when he's on.

Garlett leaving was a hypothetical.

Garlett has his partner and child living with him here, I can't see going home being that strong of a pull.

The Waite article today talks about his change in attitude following being dropped.

What was really disappointing in rounds 1-4 was the lack of passion and desperation to take on the game. If our list can be manic for the rest of the year, many of the holes in our list will disappear. All our players look s**t when they do not hunt as a team.

Guys like Watson, Bootsma, Lucas and McInnes should be best 22. They just need to get the attitude. Lucas played a great game last week and if he can do that every week we have a player.

Guys like Rowe and White have some limitations, but if they can play within their limitations they have the physicality to win their position on the day.

I think we lack a couple of big body mids with run, and a key position player at each end (2). Other list changes this year are about replacement/upgrades. Plus a rookie ruck.

Our younger forwards are rookies excluding Hendo and Menzel (cannot wait to see what Giles adds). We need to draft some quality here and keep Garlett and Waite performing till they are ready. If Casboult can learn to kick he has a big future.

In the midfield Murphy, Gibbs (if he stays), Daisy, Curnow and Cripps are a good core group for the next 3 years. If McLean brings his A game he also has a role. We also need two physically big quality mids (and I hope Bell can step up and Judd plays another year).

Backline is still too loose and needs to be stabilised. Really missing the quality presence of Hendo, so must find a quality tall. Hope Watson can lift when he gets another chance!

I expect our recruiting this year will be about replacing our ageing/not improving players unless they can impact games more consistently. I do not think any of them have trade currency, so list overhaul will take time. Do not want to lose Gibbs or Kruze if they want to play. Really loving Gibbs work at present.

The Waite article today talks about his change in attitude following being dropped.

What was really disappointing in rounds 1-4 was the lack of passion and desperation to take on the game. If our list can be manic for the rest of the year, many of the holes in our list will disappear. All our players look s**t when they do not hunt as a team.

Guys like Watson, Bootsma, Lucas and McInnes should be best 22. They just need to get the attitude. Lucas played a great game last week and if he can do that every week we have a player.

Guys like Rowe and White have some limitations, but if they can play within their limitations they have the physicality to win their position on the day.

I think we lack a couple of big body mids with run, and a key position player at each end (2). Other list changes this year are about replacement/upgrades. Plus a rookie ruck.

Our younger forwards are rookies excluding Hendo and Menzel (cannot wait to see what Giles adds). We need to draft some quality here and keep Garlett and Waite performing till they are ready. If Casboult can learn to kick he has a big future.

In the midfield Murphy, Gibbs (if he stays), Daisy, Curnow and Cripps are a good core group for the next 3 years. If McLean brings his A game he also has a role. We also need two physically big quality mids (and I hope Bell can step up and Judd plays another year).

Backline is still too loose and needs to be stabilised. Really missing the quality presence of Hendo, so must find a quality tall. Hope Watson can lift when he gets another chance!

I expect our recruiting this year will be about replacing our ageing/not improving players unless they can impact games more consistently. I do not think any of them have trade currency, so list overhaul will take time. Do not want to lose Gibbs or Kruze if they want to play. Really loving Gibbs work at present.

Agree except Bootsma. You talk about backline being loose and needing to be stabilised, so don't see why Bootsma would be in there. We need strong bodied defenders. Bootsma gets pushed out of marking contests and contests on the ground way too easily.

And as much as I love Kreuz, I would be open to trading him for a good return. He plays his best at no.1 ruck, which Warnock is filling. He is not suited for the forward/ruck role. Not good enough as a forward (which sucks because he showed so much promise as a forward early in his career, hasn't come on in this area particularly). Casboult is currently filling this role quite well, have to say probably better than Kreuz.

Bootsma can run, has a long kick and great hands. Should be in the 22 if he can play like it means something to him and he really wants to be there. Must get stronger (but not slow and heavy) and get some confidence (may have come in to early as he was undersized and dominated). But if he cannot find improve, I agree with you that he should not stay and may have currency for a third round pick to WA. Would be a pity as he did some good things in his first few games.

Kreuz will be back! We need two quality rucks in the squad and nobody would pay overs now.

Garlett leaving was a hypothetical.

Garlett has his partner and child living with him here, I can't see going home being that strong of a pull.

And it was a hypothetical based on the premise he continued to play s**t/VFL. While it's just historically and statically unlikely that he can kick 3 goals every week, there's nothing stopping him from getting those 14 disposals and 5 tackles as he did on the weekend. You wouldn't trade the Jeff Garlett that played against West Coast on the weekend...played some good footy.

We'd be interested in plenty but can't see Hallahan as being a pressing need.
Need quicker mids with bigger tanks. From what I've heard about Mitch, he doesn't have 4 quarters at full pace in him.

Pretty sure we'll see a much taller CFC by December this year.

Yeah I agree.
We'll target a KPP for sure, and we all know that Gold Coast and GWS have stockpiled these kids.

Reckon we'll back our own young mids for next year after another 12 months of development including a full preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back