2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm disappointed because we don't seem to be able to attract a big fish to Brisbane. I guess we need more success first.... maybe better training facilities too. Port were cunning with their "we are building an indigenous powerhouse" team approach

I'm also disappointed because there's a fair chance we've pissed Luey off who will remember all this when he's a free agent at the end of next year.

I have to agree with you here in regards to our facilities and I think many on here would have to agree that we are miles behind everyone in the comp. We are getting many other things right though in regards to Swann, Lethal, Leppa, drafting and culture (family) and this is the last piece albeit very important.

In regards to Ryder who knows yet but I think all of us here would understand if he went to Port seeing they are closer to the ultimate prize than we are, for now.

I have to agree with you here in regards to our facilities and I think many on here would have to agree that we are miles behind everyone in the comp. We are getting many other things right though in regards to Swann, Lethal, Leppa, drafting and culture (family) and this is the last piece albeit very important.

In regards to Ryder who knows yet but I think all of us here would understand if he went to Port seeing they are closer to the ultimate prize than we are, for now.
Port also need Ryder a lot more than we do. Might help in the recruitment process.

Pretty sure that's not a real tweet.

Hmm, yeah, it's not on his feed. Did you just make that up Loyal Lion? ;)

Edit: Appears someone made it up on the Port board and it Chinese whispered from there.

Sounds like Ryder is just doing due diligence thus far. With Lethal in his ear hopefully he can see the positives of the club and come up north. It would be a really big coup for the club, and a damn fine ruck division.

Sounds like Ryder is just doing due diligence thus far. With Lethal in his ear hopefully he can see the positives of the club and come up north. It would be a really big coup for the club, and a damn fine ruck division.

IMO the most important part for any club in securing his signature is going to be the off field support and structure...a lot will do with having family and friends around to ease the home sickness of both player and partner..

The player, his partner Jessica McDonald and their two young children were expected to remain in Queensland for several days. The couple's wedding will be held on the Sunshine Coast in October.

http://www.portnews.com.au/story/2563783/lions-believe-port-in-box-seat-for-ryder/?cs=12

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking into account F/S and academy bidding is before the trade period, how do we feel about passing on one of Dawson/Hammelmann or Andrews to get Ryder? Pick 4 is off the table so our second rounder would most likely be the starting point for any deal

We may not have to. We have overrated our academy players in the past on here, we may have done so again.

We were talking about Conway and Tickner as second or third round talents last year. One ended up a rookie and the other didn't get picked up.

Lethal and Swann are smooth operators. We have a nice young list which looks to be heading up playing a good brand of footy under a coach doing all the right things. He will get very good bucks, live up in QLD near family. We are still a pretty attractive option. Surely Leppa's focus with the club being 'family' has to count for something when Ryder is moving basically because of family.

Port can offer 2 things we can't, a higher pick to the Dons, and a better shot at a flag. We might not be far off finals, and i'm sure we can sell that too him for the future, but we aren't right up there like Port.

To be honest, the two big parts of this rumor were a)he wants out of Essenscum for being the scumbag club they are and b) His wife is from Brisbane and wanted to bring her kid up around family after this whole saga.

There is no logic behind him going to Port if that is what they're after. Right now I imagine there is a discussion between Ryder and his wife about where they want to raise their kid. If Paddy is pointing towards Port over us, then he has to convince her that taking less money (there is no way they'll front load like we will. Guarantee that.) for more on field success is worth not being near family.

Therefore it is obvious next year we'll see Paddy at the Swans.

Wait...wha... ******* Sydney!

Tim Membrey looking for opportunities out of Sydney... 188cm.. kicked loads of gaols in NEAFL.. I wonder if he could provide more than what Jackson Paine has shown...

Tim Membrey looking for opportunities out of Sydney... 188cm.. kicked loads of gaols in NEAFL.. I wonder if he could provide more than what Jackson Paine has shown...
Exactly what we need more forwards that can kick bags in the NEAFL! I wouldn't be in a hurry to do a deal there personally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back