List Mgmt. 2015 AFL Draft - what type of players should we be looking at & who do we take? (Poll added)

Who would you select with our first round pick?

• Joshua Schache (VIC – KPF)

Votes: 57 12.8%
  • Jacob Weitering (VIC – KPD)

Votes: 349 78.3%
  • Aaron Francis (SA – DEF/FWD)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Charlie Curnow (VIC – KPF/MID)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Kieran Collins (VIC – KPD)

• Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Darcy Parish (VIC – MID/DEF)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great draft, really happy and have a sense of excitement for the drafts ahead and next season. With all the trading of picks and future picks that happened can someone give an accurate description of what extra picks we have next year? Do we still have Geelongs first and i recall their being an extra second round in there.

Great draft, really happy and have a sense of excitement for the drafts ahead and next season. With all the trading of picks and future picks that happened can someone give an accurate description of what extra picks we have next year? Do we still have Geelongs first and i recall their being an extra second round in there.

We did receive Geelong's first pick next year in exchange for Henderson, but gave that up as part of the trade to get pick 8 and the GWS boys this year.

We received - and kept - the Bulldogs' 3rd round pick next year along with pick 11, for 20 and 21 this year.

We traded the Geelong pick for pick 8. We also have the Bulldog's 3rd rounder next year.

Not really, we could have had the pick of 7 different players between 12 & 19... Could have got Gresham for example

Same for Richmond, highly doubt Rioli would have got past Hawthorns 2 picks and if that was the player they were targeting then they've done well but I reckon they would have been looking at Milera/Oliver a month ago which they would have needed the pick 12 to get anyway
Disagree. Had we had successfully traded Yarran for pick 12, we would not have traded 20 and 21 for 11. In other words, we would have missed out on Curnow and probably still picked Cunningham with pick 12.

Also Rioli would have made it to Richmond's pick

The consensus among the journos seems to be that we got Cunningham regardless of what Richmond pick we got. So the genius was in getting the Dogs pick for Curnow. Though to be fair the Dogs were rapt to get both Dunkley and Collins. You will not find as big a win-win trade as that one.

I'd expect us to package our two third rounders next year to move up. Has anyone paid enough attention to the 2016 draft yet to know whose possibly going to go for a points grab?

Just hoping everyone isn't getting ahead themselves as I am unfortunately confident we'll be getting pick 1 again next season

Just hoping everyone isn't getting ahead themselves as I am unfortunately confident we'll be getting pick 1 again next season

Good point. Would be terrible for anyone to realise that we have no hope of getting anything better than last next season.

Your pessimistic confidence is duly noted and duly ignored.

Interesting that according to the HS, EFC won the draft picking up 2 guys who could have gone as rookies at 29&30.
Of course the club sponsor is going to nominate its club as the winner in the draft. If you want to read anything objective in relation to the EFC, do not read the HS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I really need ANOTHER text message .........

You can unsubscribe from texts, you could always do something about it instead of whinging, I like others think it was a great initiative by the club

I think you will find that Collins competes well one one but lacks the speed and agility to turn whilst tailing the likes of Cameron, McCarthy, Riewoldts, Franklin, Schulz, Waite, Walker and the like. More suited to the Gorrilaz in Hawkins, Cloke etc.

Been saying the same for weeks.

Not many gorillas playing these days - quick mobile talls that can run is the direction the game is heading.

I may be wrong but IMO Collins not worth the risk.

So... was just musing on the draft some more... one possible concern is that all of McKay, Curnow and Cuningham seem to have knocks on their kicking skills. This feels at odds with our collective thoughts on what Bolton would want and what the Blues need - guys who can execute.

It's all in front of them, but I hope that proves incorrect. Weitering, of course, is mooted as somewhere between above average and elite at everything, so he's no concern whatsoever.

Last edited:
So the genius was in getting the Dogs pick for Curnow. Though to be fair the Dogs were rapt to get both Dunkley and Collins. You will not find as big a win-win trade as that one.
Was thinking this too. At the time I was thinking WTF in regards to the Bulldogs giving up #11 like they did but in the end, both clubs must be very happy.

Carlton
Pick 1 Jacob Weitering, 8 Harry McKay, 11 Charlie Curnow, 19 David Cuningham, 53 Jack Silvagni

Carlton's first four picks were very well placed, and their approach interesting. The hardest players to find are good talls and they got what looks an extremely sure bet in Weitering at pick 1 followed by some huge potential in the athletic McKay and Curnow. McKay doesn't turn 18 for another few weeks and only made this draft by a week, and some clubs saw Curnow in the best one or two. He has done more as a forward than a midfielder, but has the capacity to play in there as he develops. At pick 19 the Blues had a look at Kieran Collins, who teamed up so well with Weitering in defence for Vic Country and Dandenong this year. But with Silvagni, another marking player, coming in, they added the pacy Cuningham to their midfield. With so many talls going in the first round, they really got their choice of the second batch of mids. This draft was a re-start for the Blues. To sort your spine out is an understandable first priority, particularly given the players on offer.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-approach-20151125-gl7z52.html#ixzz3sXnSCuWl
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Nothing wrong with the club being proactive with their communication. I like the initiative from a business point of view even if I understand it is just business. Certainly no inconvenience to me. They could send 10 a day for all I care.

So... was just musing on the draft some more... one possible concern is that all of McKay, Curnow and Cunington seem to have knocks on their kicking skills. This feels at odds with our collective thoughts on what Bolton would want and what the Blues need - guys who can execute.

It's all in front of them, but I hope that proves incorrect. Weitering, of course, is mooted as somewhere between above average and elite at everything, so he's no concern whatsoever.
Cuningham*

McKay and Curnow have above average kicking for talls IMO.

Lol Kouta had no where near the break away speed of Cunningham and Cunningham does not poses the height nor the physical attributes of Kouta.

More a Chris Judd - explosive speed away from the contest kicks okay not exceptional on both feet. As Judd did, he will need to develop his inside game....still a long way from putting him in the same league as the Messiah.
"He is not the Messiah. He is just a very naughty boy."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back