2015 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to hear about Andrews but what is happening with our development? Mayes, Golby, Gardiner, Smith all seem to have either gone backwards or stagnated.

There's been a bit of discussion on this forum about Mayes' role over the past couple of weeks. Based on today I'd suggest the club wants him to spend more time as a genuine on-baller. When he was on the ground, he started near the contest at most stoppages.

I got the impression he spent more time on the bench than most of our other players. Could be a number of reasons for that.

I also find Golby's progression a bit frustrating. Today he was almost in the stands he played so wide. That doesn't capitalise on his strengths at all.

There's been a bit of discussion on this forum about Mayes' role over the past couple of weeks. Based on today I'd suggest the club wants him to spend more time as a genuine on-baller. When he was on the ground, he started near the contest at most stoppages.

I got the impression he spent more time on the bench than most of our other players. Could be a number of reasons for that.

I also find Golby's progression a bit frustrating. Today he was almost in the stands he played so wide. That doesn't capitalise on his strengths at all.

:confused:

That's a bit harsh. His defensive work has always been good.

My best memory of him will always be that upset win over Essendon a couple of years back. He and Redden had close to 20 tackles between them, from memory.

Mayes playing on-ball could be due to a few reasons tho:
1. Lions want him to become more of an on-baller ... although it doesnt make much sense as we have quite a few mids.
2. They want him to get more of the ball so he can get his 'touch' back.
3. Reserves coach thought they needed more class in the middle today as opposed to a half forward.

Really wish they would just give him a position and leave him there. Not keep putting him in one position then switching him a week later, it's not going to help him.

Another reason for Mayes' midfield run could purely be a confidence thing. Build up his confidence by dominating/getting plenty of footy in the 2s.

I'm one of the founding members of the Harris Andrews' bandwagon but gee it's good to see him go back to the seconds and dominate. Watching Richmond and the Eagles go at it last night I was in awe of McGovern's ability to intercept and how far his game has come this year. I think there will be a similar narrative for Andrews in a year or so (no pressure!)

Pretty upsetting how quickly supporters turn on our players. One average report on Gardiner and his career's supposedly stagnating. The kid, let's not forget he's in his second year, has been battered from pillar to post this season. I'm guessing he'll be booked in for numerous post-season surgeries come September/October. Hats off to him for persevering through the niggles. He will be a fine Lion for years to come.

Another reason for Mayes' midfield run could purely be a confidence thing. Build up his confidence by dominating/getting plenty of footy in the 2s.

I'm one of the founding members of the Harris Andrews' bandwagon but gee it's good to see him go back to the seconds and dominate. Watching Richmond and the Eagles go at it last night I was in awe of McGovern's ability to intercept and how far his game has come this year. I think there will be a similar narrative for Andrews in a year or so (no pressure!)

Pretty upsetting how quickly supporters turn on our players. One average report on Gardiner and his career's supposedly stagnating. The kid, let's not forget he's in his second year, has been battered from pillar to post this season. I'm guessing he'll be booked in for numerous post-season surgeries come September/October. Hats off to him for persevering through the niggles. He will be a fine Lion for years to come.
The only person who said Gardiner might have stagnated was me so u shouldn't group all the supporters on the basis of one. Even then l did backtrack on my original comment when a poster mentioned about his injuries and this being his 1st game back and got him out of that group and put Leuy in instead.

The only person who said Gardiner might have stagnated was me so u shouldn't group all the supporters on the basis of one. Even then l did backtrack on my original comment when a poster mentioned about his injuries and this being his 1st game back and got him out of that group and put Leuy in instead.
Wasn't a personal go mate. There have been more than a few posters frustrated with Gardiner in review threads etc. I was obviously fired up in that post but it's a shame to see someone we all adored last year, for his aggression and competitiveness, suddenly become a whipping boy of sorts

Wasn't a personal go mate. There have been more than a few posters frustrated with Gardiner in review threads etc. I was obviously fired up in that post but it's a shame to see someone we all adored last year, for his aggression and competitiveness, suddenly become a whipping boy of sorts
I don't think he is a whipping boy. Golby certainly hast that mantle this year and l reckon Bewick might be into it next year if he keeps getting inconsistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrews is a marking machine.

Its worrying that our players are struggling to rack up tackles though. Highest I see there is 4.

Tackle stats are always low in the ressies for whatever reason.

Andrews is a marking machine.

Its worrying that our players are struggling to rack up tackles though. Highest I see there is 4.

I think that was partly how the game was played. Lots of short kicks so fewer opportunities to tackle.

The mark counts are worth noting here - Eastlake almost had one mark for every three possessions.

Worth noting what Woewodin said about Mayes. "Still needs to work on his contested part of his game." You wonder if some of the coaches who remained after Vossy departed - said to Leppa this kid can play but has a lot of work to do on his defensive/contested side of his game.

I do think that first year when Sammy played some ripping games he got under the guard of the opposition who didn't put much time into him, but i also think he was given free reign to go out and chase the ball and not worry so much about his man. Vossy often played with an extra defender.

Leppa throwing Mayes back to defence last year was clearly to give us a better user of the ball of half back but also to tighten his defensive/contested side.

I just hope Mayes doesn't fall into the same category as Karnezis who had skills and could find the ball but had zero defensive side and by the looks of it even Collingwood haven't changed that part of his game. I have noticed Macrae from the Dogs who looks like he could be a 200+ gamer has been dropped twice in his career for not being accountable for his man.

Personally i think Mayes is a lot better player than Paddy K will ever be and i really hope we give the kid a sustained run around midfield/half forward where he clearly plays best.

Worth noting what Woewodin said about Mayes. "Still needs to work on his contested part of his game." You wonder if some of the coaches who remained after Vossy departed - said to Leppa this kid can play but has a lot of work to do on his defensive/contested side of his game.

I do think that first year when Sammy played some ripping games he got under the guard of the opposition who didn't put much time into him, but i also think he was given free reign to go out and chase the ball and not worry so much about his man. Vossy often played with an extra defender.

Leppa throwing Mayes back to defence last year was clearly to give us a better user of the ball of half back but also to tighten his defensive/contested side.

I just hope Mayes doesn't fall into the same category as Karnezis who had skills and could find the ball but had zero defensive side and by the looks of it even Collingwood haven't changed that part of his game. I have noticed Macrae from the Dogs who looks like he could be a 200+ gamer has been dropped twice in his career for not being accountable for his man.

Personally i think Mayes is a lot better player than Paddy K will ever be and i really hope we give the kid a sustained run around midfield/half forward where he clearly plays best.

I think Woewoedin is marking him harshly. His contested footy looked pretty good on the day. Won a lot of clearances, made a few tackles. His ball use wasn't great though. It doesn't take much defensive pressure to put him right off his kicking.

EDIT: Although reading just now that Evans had eight clearances, I wonder if I mistook him for Mayes once or twice. They both spent a lot of time in the guts.

Team:
FB 12.William Wolbers 21.Daniel Merrett 27.Darcy Gardiner
HB 35.Ryan Lester 41.Mitch Golby 56.David Yabsley
C 54.Daniel Daye 32. Sam Mayes 47.Zac O’Brien
HF 19.Josh Clayton 43.Josh McGuinness 46.Billy Evans
FF 40.Matthew Hammelmann 24.Liam Dawson 14.Brent Staker
Rucks 44.Archie Smith, 55. Jesse Malthouse, 58.Luke Penberthy
Interchange 52. Soul Cormick, 53.Lachlan Niland-Rowe, 57.Tom Rolls, 51. Josh Caldow
Emergencies 50.Zac Southern

Remove this Banner Ad

Back