List Mgmt. 2015 LIST Discussion - trades, free agency etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant remember the last time Geelong screwed someone on a deal , we nearly always play fair or perhaps to fair , much to the chagrin of many on our board. But if we finish so low to get a single figure draft pick , I struggle to see how can trade it , we have been starved on picks that low for so long. If we really fall away and finish with a pick lower than 7... that would be our lowest in 25 years.

The most reasonable deal I would say is IF Motlop goes to Pies or Tigs , trading that pick for LH. ..but to be honest even that pick id prefer to use. Henderson should be a FA , the rules are silly.
Geelong are a very good club to deal with as this has been shown many times. I still think a first round pick around the #10 mark will need to be offered to get the deal done.

I just have a feeling now he might stay.

I cant remember the last time Geelong screwed someone on a deal , we nearly always play fair or perhaps to fair , much to the chagrin of many on our board. But if we finish so low to get a single figure draft pick , I struggle to see how can trade it , we have been starved on picks that low for so long. If we really fall away and finish with a pick lower than 7... that would be our lowest in 25 years.

The most reasonable deal I would say is IF Motlop goes to Pies or Tigs , trading that pick for LH. ..but to be honest even that pick id prefer to use. Henderson should be a FA , the rules are silly.

I think the rules regarding FA are fair. Mind you i think FA is going to ruin the game.
Imagine if it was the other way round and Henderson had been at Brisbane for 6 years then came to Carlton for 2 years. I dont think it would be fair for a club who had only had that player for 2 years to lose them to FA.

Taking Pick 31 (I think) for Michael Mansfield then using it to draft triple premiership player Chapman. I'd call that screwing!!!

I think the rules regarding FA are fair. Mind you i think FA is going to ruin the game.
Imagine if it was the other way round and Henderson had been at Brisbane for 6 years then came to Carlton for 2 years. I dont think it would be fair for a club who had only had that player for 2 years to lose them to FA.

Lets start from the players POV , he is denied choice from day 1. If there was no draft would the best players go to the bottom sides? Sometimes , maybe but not as often is happens now. The players put that aside but the introduction of FA is to go someway to reinstate those rights once a player has served the AFL for a period of time. A years in the system should be the mark , and I'm not convinced that there should be RFA.

But yes that changes the paradigm , when a player carry his long service with him. The comp is changing and the next stage will mean clubs can push trade a player. It will have to be done with the knowledge that he goes FA at the end of the contract so it will affect the trade price.

As far as ruining the game... players have always moved clubs. FA is only a reflection/copy of the 10 year rule from the 70's. In the old days, the days with more parochialism... there transfers , form 4's , there were mid season trades and players were even leased to other clubs ...so although its different , I don't see this current FA rule being a game killer.

Lets start from the players POV , he is denied choice from day 1. If there was no draft would the best players go to the bottom sides? Sometimes , maybe but not as often is happens now. The players put that aside but the introduction of FA is to go someway to reinstate those rights once a player has served the AFL for a period of time. A years in the system should be the mark , and I'm not convinced that there should be RFA.

But yes that changes the paradigm , when a player carry his long service with him. The comp is changing and the next stage will mean clubs can push trade a player. It will have to be done with the knowledge that he goes FA at the end of the contract so it will affect the trade price.

As far as ruining the game... players have always moved clubs. FA is only a reflection/copy of the 10 year rule from the 70's. In the old days, the days with more parochialism... there transfers , form 4's , there were mid season trades and players were even leased to other clubs ...so although its different , I don't see this current FA rule being a game killer.
How long did the 10 year rule last?

Not long...months if that... the clubs freaked out I think. Remember that that was the zone era , clubs probably were used to just getting everything on a plate... privileged to play for them etc.
You might have a different opinion of FA if Geelong were a bottom side. The way it is going the good players move to the good sides and the gap widens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might have a different opinion of FA if Geelong were a bottom side. The way it is going the good players move to the good sides and the gap widens.

For years Geelong was a side that couldn't attract players....If a team is at the stage of early list build its only logical that in a limited FA market , that mature FAs will choose the most obvious choice. Would a player like Frawley really choose to go to another club near the bottom? He had all the choice , because there are so few FA's. In truth FA is something that a traditional Carlton would would have embraced , but I can hear what your saying , in a totally controlled market , no cap , FA for all players it would be ugly for several teams..and mine would be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back