Oppo Camp 2015 non-Geelong match and general football discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id like to think innocent until proven guilty. Even for the Pies. Need the B sample results.

And then what is it used for. Thought I had read its not banned by AFL but it is tested for….

very likely im wrong there.

Go Catters
Daz, clenbuterol is used for performance enhancing, it's an anabolic agent, builds lean muscle mass and reduces fat mass.

So assuming the B sample is also positive, it will be a cut-and-dried case unless the players want to go down the "tainted meat" approach of some cyclists. But to even try that as a defence, they would have to have very low levels of clenbuterol, and also show that they'd been somewhere where clenbuterol was widely used in agriculture, such as China. And given that it was an in-season testing, I doubt any of them went on a quick trip to China.

Perhaps they were playing the odds and just thought they wouldn't get tested, who knows? But with the whole Essendon saga over the last few years, I would hope that most players would just think it's not worth going down the PED route (or taking anything not prescribed by the club doctor).

Edit: I just read they tested positive in Feb, 3 days after returning from training camp in NZ. I can't imagine that NZ would allow the use of clenbuterol in their meat industry, with the whole "pure NZ" thing, but I wonder if they're going to make some claim about tainted steak?

Last edited:
Interesting timing

Does this put more or less pressure on the verdict tomorrow?
It could be a good distraction to hide a not guilty verdict away....
Personally I think it makes it more important that a guilty verdict is found.... Otherwise looks like the AFL are just trying to sweep it all away?
Don't think this will impact the tribunal at all FWIW. Think it could change the whole perception of PEDs in footy, though. Essendon, Saad and Crowley have all been portrayed as stupid and incompetent rather than deliberately trying to cheat. Hard to see how clenbuterol fits into that model, unless they've been to Mexico recently. Which then begs the question: how'd they get it? Which could be the really interesting bit.

Don't think this will impact the tribunal at all FWIW. Think it could change the whole perception of PEDs in footy, though. Essendon, Saad and Crowley have all been portrayed as stupid and incompetent rather than deliberately trying to cheat. Hard to see how clenbuterol fits into that model, unless they've been to Mexico recently. Which then begs the question: how'd they get it? Which could be the really interesting bit.
I don't think it will change the tribunal either to be honest, I'm wondering though if it changes what the AFL would prefer

Reduces fat mass hmmm where do you get clenbuterol?? Might get me some of that!

Daz is right. Innocent until proven guilty although part of me would laugh if the pies players get longer bans (won't happen) as it would be worth it for the melts from Eddie!

I can't believe any player would try to push there luck after the Essendon Saga.
After Saad, Crowley and now this duo there should be a large drop in the number of players willing to attempt to use performance enhancing drugs.

I think we'll see more positives before the sport is actually clean. Too much money and in todays day and age the "quick and easy" solutions are often the most often taken. Young kids and perceived low risk short cuts.

Magpie duo Keeffe, Thomas test positive for banned substance, provisionally suspended

"COLLINGWOOD players Josh Thomas and Lachlan Keeffe have tested positive to a performance-enhancing drug, clenbuterol.

The pair returned a positive test to the A-sample on February 10 and an analysis of the B-sample will take place on April 14.
As clenbuterol is not classified as a specified substance under the AFL Anti-Doping prohibited list, the players have been provisionally suspended.
Clenbuterol can be used therapeutically to treat asthma but it is not approved in Australia for human use. It can be legally prescribed by veterinarians in Australia as a muscle relaxant and is often used to treat horses with breathing difficulties"
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-30/keeffe-thomas-test-positive

I can't believe any player would try to push there luck after the Essendon Saga.
After Saad, Crowley and now this duo there should be a large drop in the number of players willing to attempt to use performance enhancing drugs.

AFL players for the most part are a bunch of blokes that kick a bag of wind around a paddock.
They are not Neurosurgeons.

I can believe it

Many many footballers are simpletons

Daz, clenbuterol is used for performance enhancing, it's an anabolic agent, builds lean muscle mass and reduces fat mass.

So assuming the B sample is also positive, it will be a cut-and-dried case unless the players want to go down the "tainted meat" approach of some cyclists. But to even try that as a defence, they would have to have very low levels of clenbuterol, and also show that they'd been somewhere where clenbuterol was widely used in agriculture, such as China. And given that it was an in-season testing, I doubt any of them went on a quick trip to China.

Perhaps they were playing the odds and just thought they wouldn't get tested, who knows? But with the whole Essendon saga over the last few years, I would hope that most players would just think it's not worth going down the PED route (or taking anything not prescribed by the club doctor).

Edit: I just read they tested positive in Feb, 3 days after returning from training camp in NZ. I can't imagine that NZ would allow the use of clenbuterol in their meat industry, with the whole "pure NZ" thing, but I wonder if they're going to make some claim about tainted steak?
Where do I buy it ;)

So this isn't like the Creepy Crowley situation where the drug he used can mask steroid use?

I've always had a suspicion about the Collingwood football club. The way they were playing back in 2010 and then the dramatic drop off.
Grand finalists the next year and preliminary finalists the year after that?

Reduces fat mass hmmm where do you get clenbuterol?? Might get me some of that!

Daz is right. Innocent until proven guilty although part of me would laugh if the pies players get longer bans (won't happen) as it would be worth it for the melts from Eddie!
Speaking of Eddie, it's obvious he hasn't taken any clenbuterol :p Do you think clenbuterol was the lure for Balme? :p

Magpie duo Keeffe, Thomas test positive for banned substance, provisionally suspended

"COLLINGWOOD players Josh Thomas and Lachlan Keeffe have tested positive to a performance-enhancing drug, clenbuterol.

The pair returned a positive test to the A-sample on February 10 and an analysis of the B-sample will take place on April 14.
As clenbuterol is not classified as a specified substance under the AFL Anti-Doping prohibited list, the players have been provisionally suspended.
Clenbuterol can be used therapeutically to treat asthma but it is not approved in Australia for human use. It can be legally prescribed by veterinarians in Australia as a muscle relaxant and is often used to treat horses with breathing difficulties"
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-30/keeffe-thomas-test-positive
I could probably qualify to get some clenbuterol - being an old nag :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this constant negative news is actually starting to ruin the game and the magic it has always held for me.

I'm well aware that the players aren't angels and never have been but whenever I hear of 'Breaking AFL news' I just cringe and hope like hell it's not negative news about the Cats.

If I didn't have such a love for this club I would already be half way out the door I reckon

Keeffe and Thomas have pretty much been fringe players for most of their careers. If the 'performance enhancement' element of the PED was sufficient to make a non-AFL player an AFL player, or make a fringe player a regular in the seniors, I think there would be a lot that were willing to take the risk.

Who knows how it operates in the inner sanctum? We only know about the ones that get caught. What if it's common knowledge among players that there's dozens that are on the gear and they've never been detected?

All this constant negative news is actually starting to ruin the game and the magic it has always held for me.

I'm well aware that the players aren't angels and never have been but whenever I hear of 'Breaking AFL news' I just cringe and hope like hell it's not negative news about the Cats.

If I didn't have such a love for this club I would already be half way out the door I reckon

You'd see a grown man cry if any drug scandal hit Geelong especially about our premiership run.

I'm surprised that they released there names before they failed the B sample. Don't they have that right?

Was thinking the same thing myself. Didn't Freo wait until Crowley's B test come back before they announced his positive tests?

I'm surprised that they released there names before they failed the B sample. Don't they have that right?
That is the case but it was decided by them and the pies to release the names so not to tar everyone at the pies with the same brush

do you think the effects of performance enhancing drugs wear off immediately?
Most teams only ever have a few years right up there

We are the outlier really not the Pies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back