Unofficial Preview 2015 Phantom Draft

This is a tough one for me, as north have quite a few needs given their list profile and age, but:

Pick 21: North Melbourne Select Ryan Clarke
184 cm, 85 kg Midfielder/Forward

Just think that with Boomer, Wells and Dal Santo all coming up for retirement in the next year or two that the Roos need a classy player who is versatile both as a midfielder, and around the ground. Clarke is that player. Capable of playing outside, and has worked hard on his inside game, Clarke would be a great addition to an aging north Midfield. Good run and carry type player, with an explosive first few steps to break away from the contest. Would be the ideal replacement for Daniel Wells as that smooth moving midfielder with good skills.

GoTigers2015 you're up, mate.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

He was our Yarran replacment :(

Was tossing up between him or Balic, but felt that Clarke was more versatile and better skilled.

Pick 4 - Melbourne

Melbourne need a bit of everything, Francis is a viable option here but I don't see him as anything more then 3rd man up defender. Parish is another option, does everything to a good level but not a great level.

Instead Melbourne are going to go left field here and take another big bodied mid in Clayton Oliver.

Oliver is exactly they type of midfielder Roo's loves. He is big, aggressive, athletic and a contested beast. He has a sub 3 second 20m which is quick, and 10:45 3km suggest he has a decent motor. He can go forward, take a mark and kick a goal and like i said very good around the packs.

He, Viney and Brayshaw will make a supreme contested ball winning midfield with Gawn knocking it down their throats. It'll also allow Petracca to play that high half forward role in a similar way to Dusty. Starts to make the forward line look pretty potent along with Hogan and Garlett.
Does everybody actually believe this kid will go top 5? I'd say we have a fair chance of grabbing him ourselves. Most of you or all of you probably knows the draft more then me though.

Does everybody actually believe this kid will go top 5? I'd say we have a fair chance of grabbing him ourselves. Most of you or all of you probably knows the draft more then me though.
Don't believe he'll go top 5, more likely to go top 10 though as Gold Coast seem to be rather keen if reports are to be believed. It will be interesting if both he and Ah Chee are on the board come our pick as it seems they are the 2 that are in the frame.

Don't believe he'll go top 5, more likely to go top 10 though as Gold Coast seem to be rather keen if reports are to be believed. It will be interesting if both he and Ah Chee are on the board come our pick as it seems they are the 2 that are in the frame.

Melbourne at Pick 7 will take him. Increasingly likely by every day that goes that they'll take Curnow/Weideman at Pick 3.

This is the pick that every club would love. Hopefully pick 18 (+ acad / fs) will be Richmond's in 2016.

Hawthorn can afford to take a risk with the quality of their list and for this reason Ryan Burton could be selected. However as the Hawks like to recruit skilfull players, it is more likely they will pick Riley Bonner.

Pick 22: Hawthorn Select Riley Bonner
191 cm, 80 kg General defender

Over to you THE_GUN

Last edited:
Pick #23 Carlton Football Cub selects

Ryan Burton (SA – FWD)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 31/01/1997
Recruited from: North Adelaide

This selection was a really hard choice out of Balic & Burton
Both very gifted but different types. I loved Balic last year and always had a bit of a soft spot for him but he has dropped off from the looks of things. Burton was also a worry and his injuries have made me thing long and hard about it but have decided to risk this selection due to his upside if he does a stringer would be the exact type of player that carlton are crying out for.

The thing that persuaded me to go a foward rather than Balic here was the talent that Burton displayed last year and was touted a top 3 selection and possibly even as high as #1 as well as next years draft being a strong draft for midfielders and we are planning to finish last again and ask for a PP so will have another 4 selections to fill the midfield and get rid of our duds like gibbs
Another foward that has potential to go through the midfield if all things work out could end up a Stringer type success and maybe just maybe a Fyfe type player if he can build his tank to also play midfield.

Stylo

This is a tough one for me, as north have quite a few needs given their list profile and age, but:

Pick 21: North Melbourne Select Ryan Clarke
184 cm, 85 kg Midfielder/Forward

Just think that with Boomer, Wells and Dal Santo all coming up for retirement in the next year or two that the Roos need a classy player who is versatile both as a midfielder, and around the ground. Clarke is that player. Capable of playing outside, and has worked hard on his inside game, Clarke would be a great addition to an aging north Midfield. Good run and carry type player, with an explosive first few steps to break away from the contest. Would be the ideal replacement for Daniel Wells as that smooth moving midfielder with good skills.

Doesn't suit the club's recruitment policy, More suitable options at this pick would have been Farren Ray or Matthew Stokes.

West Coast Selects-Ben Crocker.
Height: 185cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 19/02/1997
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers.
From KM:
Crocker is a super strong, one grab marking medium forward who has proven a real threat in the forward half for Oakleigh this year. He is a strong mark in the air, showing real leaping ability and ability to take it at the highest point. And on the lead he also is a threat. Crocker has the ability to push up into the midfield and play off a back flank but his impact overall has been impressive up the field. Crocker has a classy feel to him and at times shows he can lower his eyes and find some nice targets inside the forward 50m but by foot he can lack consistency and is only an average kick overall, though he does have an opposite side. Athletically Crocker’s strong point is his leaping ability, with his agility in game also something he can use with some occasional sidesteps, with his pace only average.

Last edited:
Pick 28 - Josh Dunkley (ESSENDON)

He's slipped quite nicely. His game isn't perfect. His decision making under pressure will need some work, but at 189cms and his capacity to play midfield, I liken him to a David Mundy type, if he turns out to be 90% the player of Mundy's calibre, we've got ourselves a steal.

Pick 29 coming.

Pick 28 - Josh Dunkley (ESSENDON)

He's slipped quite nicely. His game isn't perfect. His decision making under pressure will need some work, but at 189cms and his capacity to play midfield, I liken him to a David Mundy type, if he turns out to be 90% the player of Mundy's calibre, we've got ourselves a steal.

Pick 29 coming.
Not sure what it is but starting to get the feeling that Dunkley will be the major slider this year and wouldnt suprise me to see him still available at our #47

Back