Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surely he doesn't play if all of Subes, Croz & Ballas come up?

Did Hilly train guys? Got concerned when I seen a pic of Ballas wearing 32.
Will Ross play that many guys under an injury cloud though? then you include Tabs and MZ as well? it is risky

Was de Boer in yellow because he was tagging someone in red? Did you see who that was?

Correct, hence Luke was on the yellow team as well.

However Matt De Boer wasn't really tagging anyone, he was just trying to stop the play maker from clearing the ball out of the centre. That person was usually Lachie Neale, David Mundy and Nat Fyfe.

The session wasn't very intense as they took no chances with injuries. It was more to do with structures and quick ball movement.

Last edited:
Any ideas from training on how the 22 for the weekend is shaping up. Will be interesting to see if Clancee gets a game. I'd say there is zero chance of De Boer playing.

I'll have a ping at the team.

B: Spurr McPharlin Ibbotson
HB: Sutcliffe Johnson Duffield
C: Mzungu Mundy Hill
HF: Walters Taberner Barlow
F: Ballantyne Pavlich Mayne
R: Sandilands Fyfe Neale

I: Clarke Suban D Pearce
S: Crozier

E: Sheridan, Clancee, Blakely

de Boer was one of our best runners over the preseason against a running team like Port it might be a real risk to leave him out, putting him on Boak and Mzungu on Robbie Gray would go a long way to limiting their influence.

I think Sutcliffe will take Gray when he goes forward. I trust Sutcliffe far more than Spurr to do a defensive job on top quality small to medium forwards. Spurr will get Wingard again so hopefully he doesn't get towelled up again.

I think Sutcliffe will have to play tall. I'd tag Grey with Clancee whether he's going through the midfield or up forward.
Put Fyfe on Boak and just beat him in the contest. If we've got the ball, he doesn't. Or even Barlow. De Boer is too much of a liability if he happens to get the ball, you may as well be one short.
Spurr on Wingard is a worry. Lets hope Wingard is under done as the reports suggest.

They always wear each other jumpers at training. Other players do it out of respect to an injured soldier.
I thought they did it to confuse the spies.

de Boer was one of our best runners over the preseason against a running team like Port it might be a real risk to leave him out, putting him on Boak and Mzungu on Robbie Gray would go a long way to limiting their influence.

Unfortunately, it's not a running race though.

Unfortunately, it's not a running race though.
If our worst midfielder can stop their best from having a clear run at delivering an inside fifty then we win that match-up.

If their best midfielder can out-run the best midfielder we put on them then the above situation turns out bad for us.

It's why Port charge back in the last, they get that gap on their man and all their use improves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Sutcliffe will take Gray when he goes forward. I trust Sutcliffe far more than Spurr to do a defensive job on top quality small to medium forwards. Spurr will get Wingard again so hopefully he doesn't get towelled up again.

I think Sutcliffe will have to play tall. I'd tag Grey with Clancee whether he's going through the midfield or up forward.
Put Fyfe on Boak and just beat him in the contest. If we've got the ball, he doesn't. Or even Barlow. De Boer is too much of a liability if he happens to get the ball, you may as well be one short.
Spurr on Wingard is a worry. Lets hope Wingard is under done as the reports suggest.

I still have nightmares about Spurry and Duff getting destroyed by Wingard and Gray :eek:

Any ideas from training on how the 22 for the weekend is shaping up. Will be interesting to see if Clancee gets a game. I'd say there is zero chance of De Boer playing.

I'll have a ping at the team.

B: Spurr McPharlin Ibbotson
HB: Sutcliffe Johnson Duffield
C: Mzungu Mundy Hill
HF: Walters Taberner Barlow
F: Ballantyne Pavlich Mayne
R: Sandilands Fyfe Neale

I: Clarke Suban D Pearce
S: Crozier

E: Sheridan, Clancee, Blakely

MDB played every preseason game didn't he? I wouldn't say he's zero chance but it does look like Clancee will get first dibs on Crowley's role which I'm ok with.

I still have nightmares about Spurry and Duff getting destroyed by Wingard and Gray :eek:
They gave away so many free kicks to them because they panicked when the ball came in and they were in a one on one. Umps were red hot on it in the SF. Couldn't lay a finger on Gray off the ball.

I think you are right. Listening to Barlow on 6pr today it was all about how well Clancee has done and Deboer is there if needed.

I think you are right. Listening to Barlow on 6pr today it was all about how well Clancee has done and Deboer is there if needed.
Pearce definitely has the ability to be more of an offensive threat than DeBoer or Crowley ever was. Since Lyon has been pretty firm on the need to increase our offensive output, that must be why he is seemingly the preferred option at the moment. Having said that DeBoer is one of the best tacklers in the entire AFL... It's a matter of pure defence (DeBoer) vs average defence with more potential for offence (Pearce).

Pearce definitely has the ability to be more of an offensive threat than DeBoer or Crowley ever was. Since Lyon has been pretty firm on the need to increase our offensive output, that must be why he is seemingly the preferred option at the moment. Having said that DeBoer is one of the best tacklers in the entire AFL... It's a matter of pure defence (DeBoer) vs average defence with more potential for offence (Pearce).
Not sure if tackling is as major a factor in tagging as many would think. It's as much about disrupting the run, blocking and scragging. Everyone said Crowls was the best coz he was just so hard to move. Would imagine Clancee having the same quality

Not sure if tackling is as major a factor in tagging as many would think. It's as much about disrupting the run, blocking and scragging. Everyone said Crowls was the best coz he was just so hard to move. Would imagine Clancee having the same quality

I agree. Clancee turned lard into yards over the summer and looks in utterly fantastic shape. RTB commented he's delighted with his effort and Clancy could now fill many roles as a result. Even if he doesn't tag, I'd much rather have Clancy's kicking skills out there as opposed to MTB's (though to Matt's credit, his kicking skills are far better now than in previous years).

I agree. Clancee turned lard into yards over the summer and looks in utterly fantastic shape. RTB commented he's delighted with his effort and Clancy could now fill many roles as a result. Even if he doesn't tag, I'd much rather have Clancy's kicking skills out there as opposed to MTB's (though to Matt's credit, his kicking skills are far better now than in previous years).

My only concerns with Clancee at the moment has been the amount of times he has fumbled the ball and a few hand passes to no one, but these are all things that can be sorted in the season proper.

To be fair on de Boer I don't see how he's any different.

As has been said I think it's more about the attacking threat Clancee can have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back