List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather back our recruiters to find someone in the draft with a 3rd rounder

I'm guessing Richo is looking at a stop gap to help win clearances. We really struggle in that regard and someone to dish off quickly to a running steven or Freeman makes sense in some ways. It might be temporary while we get Ross etc going

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/H_e_S_a_y_s">@H_e_S_a_y_s</a> BF posters irrational? Surely not! Nothing new mate, still expect it to be Saints.</p>&mdash; Brett Anderson (@BrettAndersonIF) <a href="">October 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Unfortunately Lee was struggling as forward so they have tried to make him a back so there is no point suggesting he is anything like Gunstan. Hopefully he will make it as a back but the clubs interest in Carlisle suggests that's a real longshot.

He was once they got rid of matters, I still think he showed a lot more than Paddy in his games as a forward but for some reason he isn't given time in the seniors. He had a terrible injury run since he was drafted also which doesn't help. Anyway, don't think he's a KPB in the Carlisle mould, has to be the third tall defender and will replace Dempster if he stays on the list.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/H_e_S_a_y_s">@H_e_S_a_y_s</a> BF posters irrational? Surely not! Nothing new mate, still expect it to be Saints.</p>&mdash; Brett Anderson (@BrettAndersonIF) <a href="">October 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Did u have beers with Jake or was that a piss take?

When I said passed a medical I didn't mean scrape across the line. I'd want to know for fact that he's over his injury issues before making a play for him.

The injury assessment will largely determine what he would cost to pry away from GC. If he's a wounded bull then one first, if he's all clear then two firsts considering he's contracted.

As I said, if he's given the all clear I'd pay whatever it takes. He has shown enough to suggest he'll be a jet of the competition (barring injuries).

My point is that I'd doubt that there is a true 'all clear'. He'll always be at more risk of having knee issues (Rors , please correct me if I'm wrong).

More risk = lower price.

Honestly carlton must have the dumbest recruiting team in the history of the afl.
Do they never learn.. They havnt even bottomed out again yet and now their trying to sign a marquee player again. I mean seriously how ****n dumb can you get.
Its like if we were trying to sign a big time player in 2012. Except we didnt try and sign daisy 2 years earlier on 800 and they wernt even in contention.
If carlisle chooses to go to carlton on 600 and spends his twilight years playing in a rebuilding carlton than good luck to him. They deserve each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd personally drive an extra 10 hours a week for 5 years for $200,000. Getting paid to not have to put up with the Mrs, perfect!
Think of what you could be driving in with the extra $200,000 a year!

Not sure about the Aaron Young talk. A bit like the Cam O'Shea talk we've heard previously..
If Richo/Trout and co think it's the right move, then I'll back their judgement over anyone on here. Roberton was similarly maligned initially and he's going alright..

Fascinating that Hickey is back on the trade block. Only now it's ok if HE wants out for more opportunity as #1 ruck at another club. Surely the player's intentions are of no value and it's only important what's best for us?! ;) Whenever Hickey is mentioned, people always look at him in isolation. Sure he's a decent young ruck man with some potential to play forward.....but what if it was Hickey vs Wayne Milera, or Jade Gresham, Kieran Collins or Darcy Tucker? If we acquired the dogs first pick and then used it on one of those players it would be a win IMO.

I'm not saying that the hawks blueprint is the be all and end all, but look at their ruck stocks over the past few years. It's been anything but outstanding.
A solid starting ruck in McEvoy and a back up who is reasonable but has ample ability to play forward in Hale.
Longer is a better ruck than McEvoy - TICK.
Hickey simply isn't the ruck/forward we need to add to the mix.
Holmes is 100% back up for Longer. He can play #1 ruck and only #1 ruck. That's fine, he'd be happy to be on an AFL list.
Pierce - who the fk knows...
I think we are fortunate to have time on our side where we can take a few punts in the draft now for a ruck/fwd to develop for the next flag tilt, or we look to trade/free agency when we are actually challenging.

Hi Guys dont get on other clubs sits but have some info from today.. Jake met with dogs and they will only offer 3 years there now playing Blues against saints they want 4-5 year deal on $670k front louded you will get him if you offer 5 years..:)

Not sure about the Aaron Young talk. A bit like the Cam O'Shea talk we've heard previously..
If Richo/Trout and co think it's the right move, then I'll back their judgement over anyone on here. Roberton was similarly maligned initially and he's going alright..

Fascinating that Hickey is back on the trade block. Only now it's ok if HE wants out for more opportunity as #1 ruck at another club. Surely the player's intentions are of no value and it's only important what's best for us?! ;) Whenever Hickey is mentioned, people always look at him in isolation. Sure he's a decent young ruck man with some potential to play forward.....but what if it was Hickey vs Wayne Milera, or Jade Gresham, Kieran Collins or Darcy Tucker? If we acquired the dogs first pick and then used it on one of those players it would be a win IMO.

I'm not saying that the hawks blueprint is the be all and end all, but look at their ruck stocks over the past few years. It's been anything but outstanding.
A solid starting ruck in McEvoy and a back up who is reasonable but has ample ability to play forward in Hale.
Holmes is 100% back up for Longer. He can play #1 ruck and only #1 ruck. That's fine, he'd be happy to be on an AFL list.
I think we are fortunate to have time on our side where we can take a few punts in the draft now for a ruck/fwd to develop for the next flag tilt, or we look to trade/free agency when we are actually challenging.

I watched Lewis pretty closely in the vfl prelim liked what I saw on him. Big solid body decent tap ruckman and can make the contest around the ground. Definitely worth having in the team. If Hickey does leave he will most certainly get 1st team game time next year.

I guess the question to put out their if Hickey was on the trade table (IF?) is are we happy to have Bruce doing 25%ish of the rucking to give Billy a chop out?

Pearce wouldn't be ready for a full year
Holmesy needs a lot of work
Maybe alternate between the 2

I'm not sure Roberton was maligned too much especially as he came for free as a delisted free agent. The talk is we will give Port the second round pick they want for Toumpas. WTF would you pay that kind of pick for a fringe dweller who's averages are low. I'd almost prefer to take a risk taking Toumpas who at least was highly rated as a junior. He might be better than I imagine and as a contested ball winner is behind Grey, Wines, Boak etc.

Just putting it out there - when watching the hawks they have a very distinct mix of:
Engine room - Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Shiels
Runners - Hill, Smith, Birchall, Burgoyne
Athletic and versatile forwards - Gunston, Breust, Puopolo, Roughhead, Rioli
Solid defence - Lake, Frawley, Gibson, Stratton

I honestly think we are on our way to creating the right 'mix' of players.
And if we don't draft them, we'll either trade for them or acquire them through free agency.

In comparison:
Engine Room - Armitage, Ross, Dunstan, Mathieson*
Runners - Steven, Freeman*, ?, ?
Athletic and versatile forwards - Bruce, Lonie, Billings, ?, ?
Solid Defence - Carlisle*, Goddard, Roberton, ?

Still a few holes to fill, but the bare bones are getting there.

* - assuming we land those players!

Just putting it out there - when watching the hawks they have a very distinct mix of:
Engine room - Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Shiels
Runners - Hill, Smith, Birchall, Burgoyne
Athletic and versatile forwards - Gunston, Breust, Puopolo, Roughhead, Rioli
Solid defence - Lake, Frawley, Gibson, Stratton

I honestly think we are on our way to creating the right 'mix' of players.
And if we don't draft them, we'll either trade for them or acquire them through free agency.

In comparison:
Engine Room - Armitage, Ross, Dunstan, Mathieson*
Runners - Steven, Freeman*, ?, ?
Athletic and versatile forwards - Bruce, Lonie, Billings, ?, ?
Solid Defence - Carlisle*, Goddard, Roberton, ?

Still a few holes to fill, but the bare bones are getting there.

* - assuming we land those players!
+100000000000. Great post. But yes, technically we are still in rebuild mode. We will get there. Trout and Bains will do the required work. (y)

I guess the question to put out their if Hickey was on the trade table (IF?) is are we happy to have Bruce doing 25%ish of the rucking to give Billy a chop out?

I would much rather have Hickey. Having a bench of 4 definitely helps him out for us next year. Assuming both he and longer are uninjured they'll play most games together I'd think weather pending obviously

My gut feel is that if we were going to trade Hickey, we would have a plan in place for a potential ruck/fwd to take his place.
I agree that the other options don't suffice. Holmes can only play as #1 ruck, Pierce simply not ready yet and hasn't shown enough for mine in the VFL.
Whether the option be to rotate another fwd/back through there, draft a player or trade in a player etc..
Remember when we traded McEvoy, it appeared we had a fairly distinct plan to nab Longer in the same trade period.

I'm not sure Roberton was maligned too much especially as he came for free as a delisted free agent. The talk is we will give Port the second round pick they want for Toumpas. WTF would you pay that kind of pick for a fringe dweller who's averages are low. I'd almost prefer to take a risk taking Toumpas who at least was highly rated as a junior. He might be better than I imagine and as a contested ball winner is behind Grey, Wines, Boak etc.

When there was early word about us picking up Roberton, there was a fair bit of 'WTF' on here as he was a fringe player @ freo and another 'half back flanker' that we had an abundance of. He's ended up being a class act. Agree though - Richo and co would want to be very confident that Young is going to be a gun if we are giving up our 2nd rounder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back