List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of contract means the player has the bargaining power, not the current club.

Hypothetically, say Aish (who is out of contract) wants to come to StKilda (& only StKilda) & we offer Brisbane two 2nd rounders (somehow we've traded & got an extra 2nd round pick), they either take it or they don't. If it's the latter, we end up with a Luke Ball scenario where he either enters the PSD or National Draft with a price on his head.

Remember, clubs don't pick players that don't want to play at that club. Sure, if he entered the PSD, there is a chance that Carlton or Gold Coast may try to gazump us, but that's highly unlikely if the player says he doesn't want to go to any club other than StKilda.

We just have to ensure that the contract is front-loaded like **** in the first year :)

And how long has it been since a genuine star asked to come to the Saints?

Genuine stars will want to play finals and will have many suitors.

The players we have landed in recent years have been those that saw more opportunity with us..ie Delany and Bruce (Our good fortune that to the surprise of everyone that Bruce looks like being a star).

Way, way back...in Hamill and GTrain. And the GTrain got better with us.

Before then???

No the presumption seems to be that a young star will join us for cash alone. I hope that we do not end up like the Dongs who have over paid for an over-rated player.

So far in recent years the players like Caddy that the Saints were keen on have passed us by for other clubs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd give up pick 3 and Delaney for Talia and the Crows forst pick.
Bit strange trading KPB's and picks, but hey I want Talia and Balic at 10 in the draft if he's still there.

And how long has it been since a genuine star asked to come to the Saints?

Genuine stars will want to play finals and will have many suitors.

The players we have landed in recent years have been those that saw more opportunity with us..ie Delany and Bruce (Our good fortune that to the surprise of everyone that Bruce looks like being a star).

Way, way back...in Hamill and GTrain. And the GTrain got better with us.

Before then???

No the presumption seems to be that a young star will join us for cash alone. I hope that we do not end up like the Dongs who have over paid for an over-rated player.

So far in recent years the players like Kaddy that the Saints were keen on have passed us by for other clubs.
Caddy will regret that decision, we will be a true contender before Geelong is again

I'd take Boyd over Paddy for sure as a prospect, Boyd was clearly #1 against midfielders much better than Petracca and Brayshaw. But I think the decision the club made was Paddy and 2 young, promising midfielders (with the cap space), or Boyd (on a 7 year deal that could rip apart a team) and 1 young midfielder (from the draft only). And I think the club made the right choice.

Sorry Rahul, don't agree on that one at all. I take stringer, bontempelli over paddy no stress, but not boyd. Forget his juniors for a sec, he's shown in the neafl and seniors he just isnt nimble enough. Once the ball hits the ground he is essentially done and that isnt going away. With Paddy, he may have struggled at AFL level to date but what he showed was excellent recovery once the ball hits the ground. He has that trick already.

Sorry Rahul, don't agree on that one at all. I take stringer, bontempelli over paddy no stress, but not boyd. Forget his juniors for a sec, he's shown in the neafl and seniors he just isnt nimble enough. Once the ball hits the ground he is essentially done and that isnt going away. With Paddy, he may have struggled at AFL level to date but what he showed was excellent recovery once the ball hits the ground. He has that trick already.

I've heard he has tiny hands for his size?

Is it possible that Dave Swallow has a get-out clause in his contract regarding a change in coach & he wants to activate that clause, assuming he doesn't get along with or like the direction Eade is taking with the club, hence making the contract irrelevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back