List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just having a look at the vfl pics and spencer is a huge unit .
Has anyone seen him go in the ruck .
Could he fill the forward ruck role Stanley was doing?
Thoughts.

If he can get his s**t together then he'd probably be a very good option. He'd need to put on some more bulk to avoid him getting snapped in half in the ruck but he is a natural forward that does have the attributes to provide decent backup ruckwork imo. In an ideal world he'd be our 2nd ruck.

Can you imagine how good a forward of Bruce, Paddy and Spencer would be in a few years if they all reached their potential? :eek:

However, I'm not sure how likely he is to stay with us beyond this year.

Moorabbin Ghost BrianSpeaking Any mail/thoughts on what's going on with Spencer, if he's likely to stay and what the clubs intentions with him are?

How about Parish with pick 4-5, James Aish (Pick 22-23 + Gilbert) and then we target Lachie Weller next year. Sounds like a lot of our outside mids covered.

PS: I know my trade for Aish was very optimistic, more likely need a pick between 10-18 to get Aish.

Not far off with Aish. Along with pick 22-23 Brissy would want a player they see as 'best 22' that also meets their age demographic. Gilbert ticks only one of those boxes. They may see a guy in our reserves that meets that criteria.

Just my thoughts, if we can have this team at around 2018, I will be froffin.

FB: Geary Goddard Marchbank/Collins
HB: Savage Carlisle Webster
C: Newnes Armitage L.Weller
HF: Membrey BRUCE Billings
FF: Lonie McCartin Sinclair
Ruck: Longer Steven Dunstan
Int: M.Weller Parish Roberton D-Mac

And hopefully we can add a big fish through free agency. Get someone of the likes of Shiel, Treloar, Prestia etc.
Hopefully we can draft players that shift out the likes of Roberton and Geary (love them, but we could have better).

And then with the likes of our future draftees competing with Wright, Murdoch, Saunders, Templeton, Payne (although quite a few of these guys could be traded) at VFL level, I can definitely see us being very successful.

If we can somehow get all of those, we could really contend in a few years time. I might be a bit too optimistic, but honestly, I reckon that's gettable.

Can't believe you left out Roberton. He, Savage and Webster in a few years time will closely resemble the lovely backline trio the Dogs have going at the moment, Johannisen/Wood/Murphy(?). Hugh has looked the goods so far, and everyone knows that we have a gaping KPD hole 2016 or 17. Dempster will be sorely missed imo. Of the teens bracket in this draft I am extremely keen on Collins from VC. Built like a tank and a very smart player from the bits I saw of him in action versus SA. Really hope we scoop him up late in the first round or at our second somehow. Ameet seems interested in swapping our first (likely pick 6 before academy picks are factored) for two in the middle of the first round. I highly doubt we will get Parish, Essendon are looking for speed (Colyer) and will finish below us outright if not on percentage, thanks to the mighty saints. I suppose the Parish question comes down to whether we take our first to the draft and/or pinch a win in our considerably difficult last few rounds. Given our percentage though I think pick 4 is out of the question. Which I'm not really too cut up about because Ai hope the club will throw mega bucks at a Whitfield type In coming trade periods, 2016 on.

Not sure if Carlise would pass the no dickheads test. Don't think he'll be at the bombers next year tho

I also wanted to add that I agree with the sentiment re Hawthorn and future picks. Will only drive the wedge deeper between the North, WB, Melb, Saints teams and the Hawthorns.

Having good ruck depth is a really good place to be from a list management POV.

Just because Hickey has currency doesn't mean we should start shopping him around, hoping to get another top 20 pick because it's what the blueprint says. The only reason to trade him would be if we got massive overs for him, which I won't be banking on personally.

Hickey will get his chance soon enough, and if he is good enough he will take it.

A top 20 pick is overs for Hickey.

What do people really expect to get for him? What club would give up a top 20 pick for him?

On a few points in the last few pages

Defacto, you're bang on about bigger clubs having an advantage if future pick trading is allowed in terms of a drafting sense, but I think our footy club should be fine. We're very well managed in terms of our recruiting.

Carlisle, let's put a line through him, why forget all we've said about character for a guy who, by next year, wouldn't have played great, consistent footy in 3 years? I like that someone has mentioned Marchbank. There's a name that catches my attention. He would add to that Vic Country crop of Goddard, McCartin and Lonie very nicely.

As for Richo, the family of some bloke called Ollie Wines was impressed by him at Port. The same Ollie Wines OOC at the end of 2016? Hmm, I think so..

Agree entirely, Wines just strikes me as someone that wouldn't be enticed by that sort of thing though. He seemed pretty adamant that he'd be happy to be drafted anywhere

If he can get his s**t together then he'd probably be a very good option. He'd need to put on some more bulk to avoid him getting snapped in half in the ruck but he is a natural forward that does have the attributes to provide decent backup ruckwork imo. In an ideal world he'd be our 2nd ruck.

Can you imagine how good a forward of Bruce, Paddy and Spencer would be in a few years if they all reached their potential? :eek:

However, I'm not sure how likely he is to stay with us beyond this year.

Moorabbin Ghost BrianSpeaking Any mail/thoughts on what's going on with Spencer, if he's likely to stay and what the clubs intentions with him are?
There's a few issues with Spencer that aren't appropriate to make public on this forum. It's a 50-50 call at this stage but I'd personally lean towards giving him another year.

There's a few issues with Spencer that aren't appropriate to make public on this forum. It's a 50-50 call at this stage but I'd personally lean towards giving him another year.

If there is the smallest hope that he can turn his life/career into a sucess he is worth giving another year! No one doubts he has talent he just needs to get everything else right?

bs are they injury related? I love spences potential but whenever I have watched him this year he doesn't seem to work hard enough. do you think he can build the required tank to be successful at afl level?

Correct. Spencer will never be any sort of ruckman. There's a lot going on in Spencer's life, footy maybe not the most important thing. I hope he stays on next year but I'm really unsure.

Correct. Spencer will never be any sort of ruckman. There's a lot going on in Spencer's life, footy maybe not the most important thing. I hope he stays on next year but I'm really unsure.
What do you mean with the ruckmen comment there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 1. Parish
Pick 2. Snelling
Pick 3. Rice
Pick 4. S. Motlop
Pick 5. M. Brown (Rookie)
Pick 6. Tanner Smith (Rookie)

Now you know how I know sfa about drafts. :confused:
In my day we had zones & you knew who you got. :cool:
Would we even be talking about him if his name wasn't Rice ?

Probably not but if we can nab him with a third rounder in what everyone keeps saying is a shallow draft that would be a pretty good result.

If we could get ANY draftee at a 20% discount I wouldn't be complaining. If Rice chooses us it will cost us our third and maybe our fourth pushed back a few spots (Sinclair upgrade so doesn't matter). That's good value.

A top 20 pick is overs for Hickey.

What do people really expect to get for him? What club would give up a top 20 pick for him?
I think this is classic undervalue your own club and over value players from other clubs.
Hickey is at that age, experience and skill level that he could potentially become a quality number 1 ruckman. Hes shown signs and he could explode onto the scene.. think s mumford few years back.. so why cant we see a team that needs a ruckman give up a top 20 pick for him.
Yet at the same time we contemplate tge fairness of giving a top 20 pick + a player for aish whos a common midfielder who hasnt even proven himself yet nore completed a full season of football. Whos also from SA. We also should remember Hickey is contracted so its gona have to take an overs offer to get him out. Aish OOC.
Ruckman hold more value than mids too. Its just simple supply demand and time cost of development. But yet most consider aish has more draft currency than hickey.

Sorry, quoted wrong post. Somebody asked if he could be a second ruck.
Oh I see. Because I definitely wasn't coming in to do that....:/

Honesty though is it really that inconceivable that he could take a couple of centre bounces a quarter and average near a goal a game? Hawks made the grand final in 2012 with Roughead as their second ruck and I'm sure plenty of people said it was a ridiculous idea at the start. I like the idea of teaching a forward how to ruck rather than the other way around.

Oh I see. Because I definitely wasn't coming in to do that....:/

Honesty though is it really that inconceivable that he could take a couple of centre bounces a quarter and average near a goal a game? Hawks made the grand final in 2012 with Roughead as their second ruck and I'm sure plenty of people said it was a ridiculous idea at the start. I like the idea of teaching a forward how to ruck rather than the other way around.

I like Spencer, he's a really intelligent kid, but he's got other things going on at the minute and his form is reflecting that. Let's wait and see what happens.

By my estimation we may end up with pick #27 as our second round pick. That's assuming we finish 6th bottom and with 3 extra picks - Gold Coast compo pick end-of-first, and an extra Brisbane and GWS pick from the bidding process.

Using Skippos's gradings of draft prospects (well you gotta start somewhere), that would only get us a B-grade pick at best. Players like Partington, Ryan Clarke, Milera, Gresham, O'Kearney and Skinner may well be the considerations there.

If we're not so keen on them it makes sense to try to shake out a trade for that pick. Who would be worth pick #27 on their own from our perspective? (Note - most are contracted until 2016)

Almost certainly,
Lachie Weller
James Aish
Lachie Plowman
Caleb Marchbank

.... but what about ....
Zach Williams
Curtly Hampton
Jake Kolodjashnij
Henry Schade

Last edited:

Thanks for the replies. That's sad to hear about Spence. I hope he gets through whatever wrong. Hopefully the club can be a part of his life into the future.

Thanks for the replies. That's sad to hear about Spence. I hope he gets through whatever wrong. Hopefully the club can be a part of his life into the future.
lets just remember he's 20 and everything they would have heard would have been 2nd hand information. just let him freaking mature on his own, not a big fan about talking about peoples personal side unless they actually know them tbh.

lets just remember he's 20 and everything they would have heard would have been 2nd hand information. just let him freaking mature on his own, not a big fan about talking about peoples personal side unless they actually know them tbh.

I don't see what the problem with people essentially saying "he has s**t going on in his life that takes priority over footy."? It's pretty much a big flag for everyone to keep a respectful distance and not judge the player too harshly on the field.

I don't see what the problem with people essentially saying "he has s**t going on in his life that takes priority over footy."? It's pretty much a big flag for everyone to keep a respectful distance and not judge the player too harshly on the field.
because stories that get passed around get changed and overblown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back