2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit reticent to pick Vic Metro kids, but Andrew McGrath (Yep another A McGrath) was a junior state level 400 hurdler and uses it really well. Outside and not just 3-step quick but '80 metre, good luck staying with him all day' quick.

The TimNotting-Jughead-Brad-Hill in our structure.

Yes. Players who win the hard ball and are able to break away from the pack are worth their weight in gold.
Too right....a very good reason to play Taylor on ball.His original and correct position.

It's an interesting one isn't it in regards to what we need and partly the problem is that our list is so young and untried at the top level. This season is really important IMO in seeing those who will be long term players for us and where they play. In regards to the contested beast I can see where the majority are coming from but also have to take into account that our midfield is pretty well settled, 26 and under age wise and we also drafted Mathieson and Keays last year.

The more I think of it I would rather see Hanley go back to HBF as an older head and also to again give us that run and carry out off the backline with Cutler. Dawson showed some promise with his footskills last year but from reports there are other areas that he needs to improve. I would also like to see Reuben developed back there as a small defender with leg spread like an Impey/Johannisen type but form reports he's been training as a small forward which I think is a big mistake. Rolls (academy prospect) has nice footskills coming out of the backline and he could be one we take.

I think that we are covered for KPD especially that I think Close will take Merrets role eventually even though that he is playing as a forward and also Skinner will be a long term prospect.

Allison perplexes me and look forward to seeing more of him this year and the general feeling of where he will settle long term but if he could be an Isaac Smith type that would help our list as I do agree that we need more outside type of players and hopefully a few more names will pop up during the champs.

It was great to get Schache and also Walker for our KPF and also to have Bundy up there and Green but I think that we do need more talent up forward either this year or next. Understand we have Hipwood but in reality he is untested and will be a long term prospect if anything in the David Hale type mould. Ezekiel Frank will be one to watch as third tall type forward and also Ainsworth.

Have noted before that Ruck/s are a very big need and hope that we take one/two this year. Some players with elite speed would be nice too. A lot of waffling on but I believe it shows you that we have a lot of needs and we did well in last years draft but the next 2/3 are just as important for where we are.
Good observation re Close, particularly in view of our sudden glut of key forwards, and diminishing supply of key backs.

We definitely need a distributor of the footy coming out of the backline, this is a priority for us in the next draft/trade period

Rolls will be a career HBF and is an excellent user of the ball. I also see Allison starting his career in the back half much in the way Heppell did for Essendon. Combined with the developing guys we have there it would not be the first position I would take. Also worth noting that Watson was taking the kick ins for the Academy against Aspley and is a very handy kick for a KPD.

A really strong over the ball inside mid, some elite outside speed and a ruck prospect would be the top of my wish list.

Rolls will be a career HBF and is an excellent user of the ball. I also see Allison starting his career in the back half much in the way Heppell did for Essendon. Combined with the developing guys we have there it would not be the first position I would take. Also worth noting that Watson was taking the kick ins for the Academy against Aspley and is a very handy kick for a KPD.

A really strong over the ball inside mid, some elite outside speed and a ruck prospect would be the top of my wish list.

In Matheson, Keays, Jansen, Rich, Rockliff, Bastinac, Bell, Robinson etc we have plenty of head over the footy inside mids, I agree that some outside pace with a long kicking is something we need.

I just don't see us having that dashing distributor of the footy coming out of our backline, I don't see one on our list either. Cutler is a running half back but not a skilful distributor of the footy in the Houli, Suckling, MacKenzie, Enright, Birchall, Hurn, Murphy mold.

We have inside mids, but how many of them have the close-quarters skills we desperately need. Rocky is probably our best at handballing under pressure, followed by Beams. Basti maybe although I haven't seen enough to judge. Rich not so much. Time will tell with Mathieson, Keays and Jansen but I think we can say Bell and Robbo don't.

We have inside mids, but how many of them have the close-quarters skills we desperately need. Rocky is probably our best at handballing under pressure, followed by Beams. Basti maybe although I haven't seen enough to judge. Rich not so much. Time will tell with Mathieson, Keays and Jansen but I think we can say Bell and Robbo don't.
My thoughts exactly. We lack inside 'polish'.

We have inside mids, but we dont have a big bullocking one ala Cripps, Oliver, Wines or a Fyfe, Bontempelli type. The trend is definitely to bigger bodied not just taller mids. Rich should be the guy for us, he is built like a brick sh!thouse, but he just isnt that type of player. Bell could do it, but his disposal lets him down.

Our draft emphasis may shift further toward a KPD now.

I don't know. We have Andrews and McStay who look promising, Gardiner and Beasley who are good but on the shorter side and Close and Hipwood who may have the opportunity to down back. It's not the biggest issue IMO.

We have inside mids, but we dont have a big bullocking one ala Cripps, Oliver, Wines or a Fyfe, Bontempelli type. The trend is definitely to bigger bodied not just taller mids. Rich should be the guy for us, he is built like a brick sh!thouse, but he just isnt that type of player. Bell could do it, but his disposal lets him down.

Hoping Lester or Jansen can develop into one of those.

I think we have enough inside grunt now, but the majority of our top inside mids are older. We do need to look to drafting a good clearance mid, be it a break away run and carry or elite handballing type mid for the future.

I know very little about the likes of Allison and Rolls, but from what ive heard i like the Heppell comparison Quigs, in terms of position. Think HB would be natural starting point for him. And let's face it, we are very well stocked for the HF area.

We do kind of need another Hanley, some outside speed, can carry the ball and side step an opponent. I really like Squiz playing on a wing pushing forward, another speedy type would be great. We do have Zorko but i like him rotating forward and to the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jansen maybe, Lester for me has his card marked. I thought he was very ordinary last week.

I thought Lester was okay. Not particularly impressive at winning the ball when he was in the guts but okay around the ground and set up a few of our goals with smart kicking into the forward 50. I didn't really think it was a noteworthy performance in either direction which probably isn't good for him, needs to start standing out but I still think he'll be on our list next year and don't think there's no chance he improves.

I thought Lester was okay. Not particularly impressive at winning the ball when he was in the guts but okay around the ground and set up a few of our goals with smart kicking into the forward 50. I didn't really think it was a noteworthy performance in either direction which probably isn't good for him, needs to start standing out but I still think he'll be on our list next year and don't think there's no chance he improves.
I was pleasantly surprised last year when he had a game and kicked a few goals and took a few marks, but I dont think he is a mid and I dont think he is good enough to get a game as a leading or third tall forward.

I'd like to see how Mathieson goes at senior level before deciding what type of inside mids we do or don't have, and statistically we've gone pretty well at clearances the last couple of years. I'm more concerned with our contested ball winning outside the contest, though that should improve a bit as the team ages and we get our senior mids back in, giving the likes of Beams, Christensen and Bell more time outside the contest.

Also, we haven't seen him yet, but I think Skinner comes with decent wraps and good size as a KPD. Then, by the sounds of things, Rolls and Allison are likely to add to our HBF/wing stocks and Watson to our KPDs.

In terms of what to do with our remaining picks, I don't think we're totally sorted for any position given where we are on the ladder, but I also don't think we have too many glaring holes. Probably the ruck would be the most concerning spot. Archie seems to have improved a bit, but I think we might have too many eggs in that basket right now. Also, to me, a few more reliable kicks would be nice. Whether they come through the HBF, midfield or HFF doesn't worry me too much, but it's handy to have them sprinkled through the side.

I was pleasantly surprised last year when he had a game and kicked a few goals and took a few marks, but I dont think he is a mid and I dont think he is good enough to get a game as a leading or third tall forward.

Yeah I'm not sure he's definitively one or the other either. That was a good game from him you mentioned and I think probably what he should be aiming to offer us every game. If he can become a player who can get between around 15-20 touches and a few tackles as part of the midfield rotations and be a target capable of kicking a goal or two when resting forward I think he locks in a place in the 22.

Yeah I'm not sure he's definitively one or the other either. That was a good game from him you mentioned and I think probably what he should be aiming to offer us every game. If he can become a player who can get between around 15-20 touches and a few tackles as part of the midfield rotations and be a target capable of kicking a goal or two when resting forward I think he locks in a place in the 22.
Yeah for sure, but he wont be that bullocking mid we were talking about.

Give me a read on Hughie McCluggage - North Ballarat Rebels;)

hopefully this years draft will be like last years and get 2 first round picks

could be a good chance to seeing how only scumton and the drug cheats will more than likely finish below brisbane :D

Jansen maybe, Lester for me has his card marked. I thought he was very ordinary last week.
We must of watched a different game.

Unfortunatly for lester his position isn't flashy. As he isnt flashy either. Therefore doesnt get the accolades he deserves. Setup at least 2 goals from memory. The only thing i would like to see him do now is clunk a few marks forward of centre.

On Lester, we had Rocky, Robbo, Bell Bastinac and even Rich all playing inside mid roles. I'm not sure whether Lester was told to play more outside or it just worked out that way, but he had 15 touches, kicked more than he handballed and went at 100% efficiency. I'll take that.

With Jansen and Matheison, I'm not sure we're desperate to draft another good inside midfielder unless they're really exceptional - like a Clayton Oliver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back