List Mgmt. 2016 general list discussion and speculation (cont in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
im-not-sure-about-that-feel.jpg

Scotty saying he really rates Leunberger in the lattest presser.
1. Was it an answer to a direct question?
I am assuming that it was, as I doubt that he'd volunteer that opinion out of the blue.
2. If he said, "No. I don't rate him," would that make you feel better?

Probably not.

Don't worry about it- instead of the media waiting until August to get on the trades and retirements Merry-go-round, they now start in January. It means nothing.

1. Was it an answer to a direct question?
I am assuming that it was, as I doubt that he'd volunteer that opinion out of the blue.
2. If he said, "No. I don't rate him," would that make you feel better?

Probably not.

Don't worry about it- instead of the media waiting until August to get on the trades and retirements Merry-go-round, they now start in January. It means nothing.
He offered it up when asked about the Martin Leuy ruck combo, wasn't about trading, but obviously he is a free agent.

He offered it up when asked about the Martin Leuy ruck combo, wasn't about trading, but obviously he is a free agent.
Ah ok. I haven't seen the presser yet. I'm sure all clubs would've trawled through the list of available players though. Any club looking for rucks would be weighing up their options to see if there's room for a lueueuey (might need to practise my spelling if we DO get him!:p) or a Martin or whoever. I just am a bit cynical about what the media think is newsworthy and tend not to let it worry me too much. I'm so bloody over the Dangerfield saga. I'm sick of hearing his name already!

Ah ok. I haven't seen the presser yet. I'm sure all clubs would've trawled through the list of available players though. Any club looking for rucks would be weighing up their options to see if there's room for a lueueuey (might need to practise my spelling if we DO get him!:p) or a Martin or whoever. I just am a bit cynical about what the media think is newsworthy and tend not to let it worry me too much. I'm so bloody over the Dangerfield saga. I'm sick of hearing his name already!

How sick are you of his name? What if it was Selwood kicks to Dangerfield. Would you be happy hearing that? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, Footy Classified's take about Geelong's vets.

Caro thinks Stevie J might have been told he's not going on next year, and Hutchy said he thinks the only ones who have been told they've got the tick for next year are Bartel and Mackie.
Hutchy then said he thought Enright Kelly Lonergan are all going to finish up.
Caro said she thought Stokes had been given a tick for next year and that he was contracted (another one who's, perhaps mistakenly[?] under that impression) but Hutchy interjected he wasn't so sure about Stokes, that he thinks Johnson and Stokes are the dubious ones.
They pressed Gary Lyon about what his view was about Stevie J and he said although last week he'd given Stevie a tick for going on, he's been talking to people this week and he thinks they know where they're heading and he thinks Stevie will struggle.

Lonergan is the only one of the vets contracted for next year so they havent done their research that well.

Scotty saying he really rates Leunberger in the lattest presser.
So do I, when he isn't injured.

As someone who has openly supported the Clark and McIntosh trades I'm not really a shrinking violet when it comes to these sorts of gambles (even when the McIntosh trade possibly cost us Grundy who I really like).

But even I am now thinking enough is enough.

So do I, when he isn't injured.

As someone who has openly supported the Clark and McIntosh trades I'm not really a shrinking violet when it comes to these sorts of gambles (even when the McIntosh trade possibly cost us Grundy who I really like).

But even I am now thinking enough is enough.

Like to rate them? Piv ... I have not looked back and brought up individuals thoughts from the time , but we all make calls...:thumbsu:

my memory of it... there was a degree of shock , then a general underlying confidence that "Hey its Geelong they must think they can get him to play... best ruck talent since Ottens etc" ... so the idea was fair enough... but who ever signed off on getting to play ...should be buried in an Anthill.
Still worth the risk.... but the risk should realistically should have said they needed coverage... ie min get a Rookie backup , perhaps a cheap more mature. We were playing the Banjanin weren't we... as VFL player ..Why? As a Rookie OK

On Clark.. we were upfront.. more so than with Hmac.. Its was a gamble. I questioned the need for it considering Walkers final series but his form did show a level above.... when playing well.

Both players traded in. With a FA... id say its even more reasonable to take a risk on a fragile player. Rivers has been fragile but a fantastic pickup.
Leuy may not be bullet proof so again, we must assess with more than just hope. Can Lucey or Read progress well enough to play if required next year? If not what happens if .....

Like to rate them? Piv ... I have not looked back and brought up individuals thoughts from the time , but we all make calls...:thumbsu:

my memory of it... there was a degree of shock , then a general underlying confidence that "Hey its Geelong they must think they can get him to play... best ruck talent since Ottens etc" ... so the idea was fair enough... but who ever signed off on getting to play ...should be buried in an Anthill.
Still worth the risk.... but the risk should realistically should have said they needed coverage... ie min get a Rookie backup , perhaps a cheap more mature. We were playing the Banjanin weren't we... as VFL player ..Why? As a Rookie OK

On Clark.. we were upfront.. more so than with Hmac.. Its was a gamble. I questioned the need for it considering Walkers final series but his form did show a level above.... when playing well.

Both players traded in. With a FA... id say its even more reasonable to take a risk on a fragile player. Rivers has been fragile but a fantastic pickup.
Leuy may not be bullet proof so again, we must assess with more than just hope. Can Lucey or Read progress well enough to play if required next year? If not what happens if .....
Yeah, the fact McIntosh struggled to get on the park in the 3 years he was with us does make the medicos who, I assume, signed this off look a touch incompetent.

But without knowing all the ins-and-outs I can't really pass comment. Hey, Collingwood knocked back Steve Johnson on medical grounds, Joel Selwood slipped to 7 with "dodgy" knees...

As for Clark, well, I'm still hopeful but perhaps I'm stupid when it comes to this kind of thing.

Yeah, the fact McIntosh struggled to get on the park in the 3 years he was with us does make the medicos who, I assume, signed this off look a touch incompetent.

But without knowing all the ins-and-outs I can't really pass comment. Hey, Collingwood knocked back Steve Johnson on medical grounds, Joel Selwood slipped to 7 with "dodgy" knees...

As for Clark, well, I'm still hopeful but perhaps I'm stupid when it comes to this kind of thing.

There is probably a debate about which is worse passing up a probably injured player and him being a star... , recruit a probable injured player and he becomes a beta tester for your medical dept.

There is probably a debate about which is worse passing up a probably injured player and him being a star... , recruit a probable injured player and he becomes a beta tester for your medical dept.
Hawks know all about that with Joel...

all.com.au's view on the big 4:

Patrick Dangerfield, Adelaide, restricted free agent
Despite the best efforts of most Victorian clubs, this year's biggest free agency fish will either stay at Adelaide or move to Geelong to be closer to his family home at nearby Moggs Creek. We expect the two-time All Australian to accept an offer from the Cats of about $800,000 a season over five years. We don't think the Crows will stand in his way by matching the offer.

Steven Motlop, Geelong, out of contract
The 24-year-old game-breaker has attracted significant rival interest, with Richmond and Adelaide understood to be leading the chase. Geelong is increasingly confident of re-signing Motlop, but a new deal is believed to be some way off. Geelong's efforts to retain the midfielder are complicated by its simultaneous pursuit of Dangerfield, Lachie Henderson, Scott Selwood and, possibly, Matthew Leuenberger, and by Motlop's ability to attract more than $500,000 a season on the open market.

Lachie Henderson, Carlton, out of contract
Carlton remains hopeful of retaining Henderson, but Geelong and the Western Bulldogs have made big plays for the 25-year-old swingman. Like Dangerfield, it is understood Henderson will either re-sign or move to Simonds Stadium. The Cats appear slight favourites to get their man, who could command up to $600,000 a season.

Scott Selwood, West Coast, restricted free agent
The chance to play with his elder brother Joel at Geelong seems the only thing that could entice Selwood to leave West Coast, a prospect that seems increasingly likely. Given the Eagles vice-captain is expected to be offered about $500,000 a season by the Cats, West Coast might be happy to bank what could be an end-of-first-round compensation pick.

And the two rucks that have been linked to us:

Matthew Leuenberger, Brisbane Lions, restricted free agent
Several teams are in the market for a ruckman this season and Leuenberger is one of the most keenly sought after, with Essendon, Geelong and the Western Bulldogs understood to be interested. The Lions seem to have settled on Stefan Martin as their No.1 ruckman, so the West Australian could see more opportunity elsewhere. The Lions can match any rival offer for Leuenberger, but could be willing to let him go if the prospective compensation pick is attractive enough. The Sydney Swans would like to make a play for the ruckman but won't be serious contenders because of their trade restrictions.

Zac Smith, Gold Coast, out of contract
The Queenslander has struggled for opportunities this season with the Suns largely preferring Tom Nicholls as their No.1 ruckman. The 25-year-old has already been linked with Essendon and could also appeal to other clubs in the market for a ruckman such as Geelong and the Western Bulldogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back