List Mgmt. 2016 general list discussion and speculation (cont in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blicavs would be in the first half-dozen players selected each week because of the utility role he plays and the versatility he adds to the side. When we lost Lonergan against North last year (concussion), we sent Blicavs to play in the backline where he matched up on Daws, a contest he comprehensively won, Blicavs then held his spot in the backline for the contest against the Swans the following week. He has the ability to go into the ruck, he can play midfield and his contested marking ability improves each match where he is a reliable marking target.

If a spot for Blicavs can't be found I would be worried.
i like everything you say, the issue i have is who misses out as a result, and what does that do for the balance of the side. swingmen are like insurance policies for something going wrong. Again, happy for his inclusion, maybe at the expense of a lang or gregson, but then does that leave us short on smaller crumbers? do we rotate more mids through the forward line to allow blitz to roam free etc. again, nothing against him, he probably deserves a spot, but i have tried to draw up a balanced squad and haven't found room for an insurance policy player in there. I think he wouldn't be a first choice in any position, but a backup for all positions, so would you pick him for the GF and who would be left out?

i like everything you say, the issue i have is who misses out as a result, and what does that do for the balance of the side. swingmen are like insurance policies for something going wrong. Again, happy for his inclusion, maybe at the expense of a lang or gregson, but then does that leave us short on smaller crumbers? do we rotate more mids through the forward line to allow blitz to roam free etc. again, nothing against him, he probably deserves a spot, but i have tried to draw up a balanced squad and haven't found room for an insurance policy player in there. I think he wouldn't be a first choice in any position, but a backup for all positions, so would you pick him for the GF and who would be left out?

If Bartel starts next season the way he finished this season then he would be a chance to be dropped.

I also don't think that either of Vardy or Stanley are automatic inclusions, and one of those might miss out with the other starting at CHF and playing as the #2 ruck from there, rather than our #2 ruck starting on the bench.

It's not unrealistic to suggest that Blicavs might have a Carji Greeves medal to his name this year but you can't find a role for him in next years side... he's almost a walk up starter.
Almost? o_O

I think we are simply a better side with Blicavs, the versatility adds options. Ditto Stanley. I watched that game v Port (?) transfixed. If he plays like that can re define our game plan.

not good at talking to people are you? i was trying to have a discussion, you resort to sarcasm and snippiness. Grow up.
I'm fine with talking to people if the discussion is genuine... once you used Bartels previous accomplishments to back up your notion that he's currently best 22, that's when I knew serious discussion wasn't taking place. :thumbsu:

If Bartel starts next season the way he finished this season then he would be a chance to be dropped.

I also don't think that either of Vardy or Stanley are automatic inclusions, and one of those might miss out with the other starting at CHF and playing as the #2 ruck from there, rather than our #2 ruck starting on the bench.
so you would be thinking 2nd ruck role? that is probably more likely than taking bartels spot.
bartel had just 11 games this year, and 2 of them he left injured during.
His first back was about 40 touches. i am not going to discount him have a solid year next year on a couple of down matches to end this year when that was true of half the team, including blitz by the way. i would say bartel was way better than blitz in the crows game, though blitz was better in the pies i think it was. other than that they both were relatively so-so.

I'm fine with talking to people if the discussion is genuine... once you used Bartels previous accomplishments to back up your notion that he's currently best 22, that's when I knew serious discussion wasn't taking place. :thumbsu:
right....well thanks for being the first addition to my ignore list in about 2 years. I have no desire to waste time on someone as petty and childish as you.

right....well thanks for being the first addition to my ignore list in about 2 years. I have no desire to waste time on someone as petty and childish as you.
Calls someone petty and childish then proceeds to put said person on ignore for having a differing opinion... ok. :thumbsu:

I think we are simply a better side with Blicavs, the versatility adds options. Ditto Stanley. I watched that game v Port (?) transfixed. If he plays like that can re define our game plan.
i agree, i just would have stanley fully fit ahead of blitz fully fit due to his better marking and goal kicking, and struggle to have them both in the side if smith is added.
without smith i would have stanley and blitz as my ruck combo. With smith though blitz gets pushed out of my team.

so you would be thinking 2nd ruck role? that is probably more likely than taking bartels spot.
bartel had just 11 games this year, and 2 of them he left injured during.
His first back was about 40 touches. i am not going to discount him have a solid year next year on a couple of down matches to end this year when that was true of half the team, including blitz by the way. i would say bartel was way better than blitz in the crows game, though blitz was better in the pies i think it was. other than that they both were relatively so-so.

I would be looking at Vardy or Stanley to play as the #2 ruck, but with our #2 ruck starting at CHF, not on the bench - in the team you posted earlier you had Smith as starting ruck, Vardy at CHF & Stanley on the bench; I just think that we are more likely to be starting Stanley or Vardy from CHF with the expectation of them going into the ruck to relieve Smith.
With the interchange cap being restricted to 90 next year, I don't believe we can afford to be playing a guy as the #2 ruck, whose main role will be coming off the bench to relieve in the ruck; we have to be smart with our team selection and having players who add versatility to the side in the roles they are capable of playing, unless you are talking about someone like Hawkins at FF or Lonergan or Taylor at FB where they play 90% of game time and focused in that role.

Bartel is one of my favorite players, I wear his number on my back but he was shocking towards the end of the season. He looked great against the Swans when as a team we were on top of them, but after that he looked lost playing as the lose man in the backline, especially when other teams made him accountable. I would love to see him reach 300 games, but he is one guy I struggle to find a spot in the team for.

Chances are also that Menzel doesn't play each week and will be managed, I think that while Cockatoo looks exciting he still has a lot to learn - and hopefully with the sub rule gone it will allow him more game time in the seniors, but I expect he will still play VFL at different times of the year.

i agree, i just would have stanley fully fit ahead of blitz fully fit due to his better marking and goal kicking, and struggle to have them both in the side if smith is added.
without smith i would have stanley and blitz as my ruck combo. With smith though blitz gets pushed out of my team.
no no no

We can set new standards AFL with multiple mobile big men - Vardy, Stanley. Bcavs and Smith

Get on board

I would be looking at Vardy or Stanley to play as the #2 ruck, but with our #2 ruck starting at CHF, not on the bench - in the team you posted earlier you had Smith as starting ruck, Vardy at CHF & Stanley on the bench; I just think that we are more likely to be starting Stanley or Vardy from CHF with the expectation of them going into the ruck to relieve Smith.
With the interchange cap being restricted to 90 next year, I don't believe we can afford to be playing a guy as the #2 ruck, whose main role will be coming off the bench to relieve in the ruck; we have to be smart with our team selection and having players who add versatility to the side in the roles they are capable of playing, unless you are talking about someone like Hawkins at FF or Lonergan or Taylor at FB where they play 90% of game time and focused in that role.

Bartel is one of my favorite players, I wear his number on my back but he was shocking towards the end of the season. He looked great against the Swans when as a team we were on top of them, but after that he looked lost playing as the lose man in the backline, especially when other teams made him accountable. I would love to see him reach 300 games, but he is one guy I struggle to find a spot in the team for.

Chances are also that Menzel doesn't play each week and will be managed, I think that while Cockatoo looks exciting he still has a lot to learn - and hopefully with the sub rule gone it will allow him more game time in the seniors, but I expect he will still play VFL at different times of the year.
good points.

I feel, as is the want of this board with our veterans when we lose, bartel was singled out for extra abuse in our bad run home. He had some good games and some bad ones, but so did basically every other player.
you are right about the impact of the removal of sub and reduced interchange impacting how we role with rucks etc. will be curious to see how this goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if Adelaide and West Coast happen to match.. How do you guys see yourselves getting Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood and Henderson all by way of trade?

So if Adelaide and West Coast happen to match.. How do you guys see yourselves getting Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood and Henderson all by way of trade?

We'll walk away if Selwood is matched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worst case scenario:

Pick 9 for Dangerfield
Pick 28 for Henderson
2016 2nd round pick for Smith.
Selwood stays at West Coast

Tell you what a midfield of Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan, Motlop, Gutrie, Caddy, Blicavs, Lang, Cockatoo, Gregson being feed by Smith, Stanley and Vardy is starting to raise the firmness meter

Worst case scenario:

Pick 9 for Dangerfield
Pick 28 for Henderson
2016 2nd round pick for Smith.
Selwood stays at West Coast
Sounds about right. Maybe West Coast will just take the compo, and obviously Josh Walker sounds like he could be involved in the Hendo trade.
Would be a major coup to pick up all 4.

Blicavs would be in the first half-dozen players selected each week because of the utility role he plays and the versatility he adds to the side. When we lost Lonergan against North last year (concussion), we sent Blicavs to play in the backline where he matched up on Daws, a contest he comprehensively won, Blicavs then held his spot in the backline for the contest against the Swans the following week. He has the ability to go into the ruck, he can play midfield and his contested marking ability improves each match where he is a reliable marking target.

If a spot for Blicavs can't be found I would be worried.

I agree- Blicavs is a walk up start. One of the first picked. People get the hype of the newby but forget the players who are the heart and soul of our club.
Blicavs is now one of those - and he is still learning.

We'll walk away if Selwood is matched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree.
He is no better than any of our current mids and requires ankle surgery, suggesting a possible compromised preseason.

I would have Blicavs either coming off the bench or starting on a wing; he's a unique prospect

I would be looking at Vardy or Stanley to play as the #2 ruck......................................

Bartel is still a very good player. As Scott said he has sacrificed his game for the greater good for a couple of years now.

2016 should see him released again. He will play and play well.

I agree- Blicavs is a walk up start. One of the first picked. People get the hype of the newby but forget the players who are the heart and soul of our club.
Blicavs is now one of those - and he is still learning.
And I'm hoping he is rewarded with his first B & F .

Just a question. Sorry if in wrong thread.
Geelongs hopes of jumping into the top 8 is becoming more of a reality each day thanks to Sellwood and the 99.99% chance of dangerfeild going to the cats and 00.01% of the hawks (sarcasm).

Any who, how does geelong get dangerfeild if adelaide match your offer, what do you trade for henderson, what do you trade for sellwood if wce match the offer, what do you trade for zac smith who has requested trade to geelong.

I just don't know the cats pull it off as teams can make it very hard for you guys if the above happens. And let me know if i forgot someone.

Good luck for Free agency and trade period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back