2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ultimately a win/win would be Hanley and pick 21 for pick 8. If the gold coast get 6 for prestia then we should be able to pry 8 off them and not bid on Bowes. If they only give us 14 id happily bid on Bowes at 3 and either make them pay or still get a good pick in Bowes.
Pick 21 to Hawks for Hartung and Whitecross is almost OTL from what I've heard. Only issue is that Hartung isn't sure if you wants to come up here. Apparently this is the case anyway but I heard it from source that has gotten things wrong before.

Yep - I'd give up 21 for those 2 if it also means we get 10 for Hanley.
Hanley and Green out makes 7 list spots
Hartung, Whitecross, picks 3, 10, 16, 19 and Archie Upgrade.

Does pose a question about the academy kids though......

I would like to get both of those, although trading out Rocky gets us a spot back for one of them
If list spots get tight we can always do what we did with Paine last year and delist somehow like Close with the intention of picking them up in the rookie draft and putting them on the rookie list for their final year of their current contract if the player agrees.

Totally different take on it at AFL.com

The proposed deal that would send Hawks Billy Hartung and Brendan Whitecross to the Brisbane Lions for one of the Lions' early second-round picks, No.16, No.19 or No.21, is no closer to being finalised and could fall over.

The clubs still can't agree on elements of the deal, and one source close to the negotiations expected the proposed trade would be abandoned, a turn of events that would further complicate the Hawks' negotiations with Gold Coast on Jaeger O'Meara.

However, Gold Coast and the Lions remain confident they can finalise a Pearce Hanley trade independently of the O'Meara deal.

If the Hawks secure pick No.16 from the Lions for Hartung and Whitecross, that selection, among other things, would almost surely pass to the Suns for O'Meara. The Suns could then offer it to the Lions for Hanley.

However, the Lions and Suns are confident that with each club's swag of top-30 draft picks – the Lions have No.3, No.16, No.19, No.21, the Suns No.4, No.8, No.22, No.24, No.26 and No.30 – that they can agree to a suitable swap that sends Hanley to Metricon Stadium.

If list spots get tight we can always do what we did with Paine last year and delist somehow like Close with the intention of picking them up in the rookie draft and putting them on the rookie list for their final year of their current contract if the player agrees.

Certainly not Close, Jaden or Claye more likely.

Pick 21 to Hawks for Hartung and Whitecross is almost OTL from what I've heard. Only issue is that Hartung isn't sure if you wants to come up here. Apparently this is the case anyway but I heard it from source that has gotten things wrong before.
Yeah we all have had some bad sauce at some stage. Im on the sweet baby rays sauce. Good s**t.

Id accept 21 for them 2 (hartung and whitecross). Both would add something.

I am a little bit surprised by some on heres reaction to the thought of us acquiring Hawthorn players. Very early on this year I wanted a rebuild, a proper rebuild. I also understood the notion of us getting younger and needing more experienced players to come in and help like Cornes, Power and Brogan did with GWS. However, it was as DFA's or using later picks not using picks like 21 to acquire these types of players. Don't be fooled by the fact that they're Hawthorn players. Out of Lewis, Whitecross, Hartung and Langford I would only be interested in Lewis (with later picks that we don't have), Whitecross (if he was a FA as he would come cheap), or Langford (again with later picks). Fools gold my people, fools gold

cool tune.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen sweet FA of O'Rourke since he was drafted, but one factor with him not getting a lot of games would the depth of midfielders of GWS and Hawthorn

Would O'Rourke even come? He left GWS for home remember. Not sure he's any good anyway.

He's not. Not on demonstrated performance anyway. Whitecross has to be the main target with the other two just thrown up as a 'get one of these guys to come North too' for extra value to get the deal over the line. Considering what Fagan must have been privy to he surely sees potential in them to improve our team to some degree.

Mitchell wasn't captain until 2008, at which point hodge was 24. There is a much bigger story behind that.
No big story. Mitchell was/is a great player, but probably not a great leader. Despite his talent, he's apparently not well liked around the club.

How did J O'R get drafted at #2? Talented but lazy?

GWS had a lot of picks and went against the grain a bit with their aims. I think they had a blueprint for what they wanted and were able to reach a little to try and make that come to fruition. From memory O'Rourke only firmed as a 2 towards the tail end of the year when it became apparent GWS were going to take him and up to that point a lot of people had questioned him that high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back