FTA-TV 2017 AFL Broadcast rights

Remove this Banner Ad

I Think that it will be Seven & Fox next TV Rights. Seven showing 1x Friday Night - 7:30pm, 1x Saturday Afternoon - 1:30pm LIVE, 1x Saturday Night - 7:30pm. 2x Sunday - 1:30pm LIVE & Hopefully they bring in Sunday Night Football Regular Fixture 7:00pm.

I Think that it will be Seven & Fox next TV Rights. Seven showing 1x Friday Night - 7:30pm, 1x Saturday Afternoon - 1:30pm LIVE, 1x Saturday Night - 7:30pm. 2x Sunday - 1:30pm LIVE & Hopefully they bring in Sunday Night Football Regular Fixture 7:00pm.

why the hell would they do that

They got 40,000 into Carlton v Collingwood last year...
Talking media $$$, though. I think Sunday night games are woeful to go to, as evident by the attendance you just mentioned. But it's worth a hell of a lot more to channel 7, for example, who would have A LOT more people watching it in prime time than at 3pm.

that worked well for them last year didn't it
Well yeah, it did. Just not attendance-wise, which wasn't what I was implying anyway. The money Channel 7 made from advertising on Sunday night in terms of viewership was fantastic, and would increase the value of the otherwise dwindling FTA media rights.

“While the two national Seven/Fox Footy Sunday night matches (Rounds 3 and 15) have drawn comparable television viewers to a Friday night game, the impact on attendance does not justify moving matches into this new timeslot and the AFL remains committed to attendances at the ground as critical to our game.”
Source

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yeah, it did. Just not attendance-wise, which wasn't what I was implying anyway. The money Channel 7 made from advertising on Sunday night in terms of viewership was fantastic, and would increase the value of the otherwise dwindling FTA media rights.

Source
they're better off sticking with the 3pm slot. as a lead into the news

they're better off sticking with the 3pm slot. as a lead into the news
I'm not sure what the demographic is like over in WA, but even a 4:30pm start in WA on a Sunday would be a 6:30pm start in the eastern states, which I imagine could start immedately after the news. Obviously can't have a WA team playing every Sunday, but it'd at least be a start.

I want as many games free to air as possible, would prefer 7 and 10 but if it meant more free to air footy i would be happy for nine to join the fray as well.
I'm the opposite, give as many games to Fox as possible. They actually know how to cover the game instead of having stuff like the 'mega-wall'.

I'm the opposite, give as many games to Fox as possible. They actually know how to cover the game instead of having stuff like the 'mega-wall'.
Fox will be getting every game anyway, so why would it matter to you how many FTA get?

Fox will be getting every game anyway, so why would it matter to you how many FTA get?
Because personally I can't stand listening to BT and Richo pretend to like each other while Bruce orgasms to nothing, channel 7's commentary is complete trash.

Commentators..Plus I want foxtel to have the grand final simulcast. Even if foxtel must show the channel 7 advertisements. Biggest game all year and we can't watch it in HD. Seven will need to be contracted to film the GF in HD not just for foxtel, but for DVD sales etc. and who knows, they may get the point and simulcast themselves on 7mate.

I'm not sure what the demographic is like over in WA, but even a 4:30pm start in WA on a Sunday would be a 6:30pm start in the eastern states, which I imagine could start immedately after the news. Obviously can't have a WA team playing every Sunday, but it'd at least be a start.

Prime time Sunday AFL in WA will only commence at the beginning of the Second Half. I don't think Starting a Twilight Game at 3:30pm won't be good. I like 5:00pm WA Time Starts of Sunday Night AFL & 5:30pm Starts for Games in Perth.

For Sundays I like:

1:40pm - Sunday Afternoon AFL
4:10pm - Sunday Twilight AFL
7:10pm - Sunday Night AFL

I also like the 5th v 8th Final for Sunday Nights.

Commentators..Plus I want foxtel to have the grand final simulcast. Even if foxtel must show the channel 7 advertisements. Biggest game all year and we can't watch it in HD. Seven will need to be contracted to film the GF in HD not just for foxtel, but for DVD sales etc. and who knows, they may get the point and simulcast themselves on 7mate.

American TV Networks usually show the Channel Seven Advertisements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back